Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One of Crosby's Final Tweets
Offered Thoughts on Heaven
Jan 20, 2023 11:06 AM CST
One of Crosby's Final Tweets Offered Thoughts on Heaven
'Overrated' and 'cloudy,' the singer-songwriter wrote on the day he died
- David Crosby died Wednesday at the age of 81, and he showed up on Twitter just hours before his passing to make a cheeky observation that turned out to be eerily prescient. Crosby retweeted another post speculating on who might be barred from heaven, based on the things they'd...
Miami Beach Hotel With
Storied Past Is Destroyed
Nov 15, 2022 3:38 PM CST
Miami Beach Hotel With Storied Past Is Destroyed
Deauville Hotel, which hosted the Beatles and JFK, had fallen into disrepair
- A once-luxurious Miami Beach hotel that hosted the Beatles and President John F. Kennedy during its 1960s heyday was imploded Sunday after falling into disrepair and abandonment in recent years. The 17-story Deauville Hotel fell into itself after a series of explosions were set off, sending up a large cloud...
Letter Sells for $70K
Aug 24, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
Scathing Lennon-McCartney Letter Sells for $70K
Lennon tells former Beatles bandmate that he clearly 'didn't dig the words' to 'Imagine'
- Beatles memorabilia is valuable—even when it's from low points in the band's history. The Gotta Have Rock and Roll auction house says a scathing post-breakup letter from John Lennon to Paul McCartney has sold for $70,000, including a $14,000 buyer's premium, TMZ reports. In...
Lennon's Angry Letter
to McCartney Up for Sale
Aug 5, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
Lennon's Angry Letter to McCartney Up for Sale
'You know damn well we can't just sign a bit of paper'
- An angry note John Lennon penned to Paul McCartney after the breakup of the Beatles has resurfaced on the auction block. Lennon sent one copy of the three-page typed letter dated Nov. 24, 1971, to McCartney and another to Richard Williams, the editor of British music magazine
If Not for This Artist, the
Beatles Might Not Have Been
Apr 10, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
If Not for This Artist, the Beatles Might Not Have Been
Stuart Sutcliffe was never forgotten, and his contribution can't really be overstated
- John Lennon called him his "soul mate." George Harrison called him the band’s "art director." He's the reason Paul McCartney switched to bass guitar. He had the fashion sense and the stage presence. He even invented the band's iconic "mushroom head" hairdo....
Nov 24, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Peter Jackson Restores the Beatles
Documentary listens in shortly before the band's breakup
- If the Beatles' final days are legend—a collision of various, usually conflicting narratives argued by fans for decades—Peter Jackson would seem a logical choice to reconsider the myth. In his hands,
The Beatles: Get Back
provides a fresh take, per a
Wall Street Journal
review: "joyous, tedious,...
He Calls 'a
Oct 26, 2021 8:12 AM CDT
Paul McCartney Nixes Practice He Calls 'a Bit Strange'
Ex-Beatle will no longer be signing autographs for fans
- Nearly 15 years ago, Ringo Starr "put his foot" down, and his pen, and informed fans he wouldn't be signing autographs anymore. Now, the only other surviving Beatle has jumped aboard the same no-autographs train. The AV Club reports on a new Paul McCartney interview with
'Cover Band' Dig
Oct 17, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Jagger Embraces 'Cover Band' Dig From McCartney
Comments reenergized the long Beatles-Stones rivalry
- Mick Jagger paused between songs to say a few things to the more than 50,000 fans at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles—a big crowd for a cover band. "There's so many celebrities here tonight, of course, you know, naturally," he said. "Megan Fox is...
Broke Up the Beatles
Oct 10, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
McCartney: Lennon Broke Up the Beatles
Ono and Lennon were 'making a new life,' he says
- The Beatles, who broke up more than a half-century ago, might instead have gone on making music for years, Paul McCartney says. But they went their four ways, and after receiving much of the popular blame since because he had broken the news, McCartney wants to make clear that it...
Lennon Tape Not Heard for
50 Years Hits Auction Block
Sep 29, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Lennon Tape Not Heard for 50 Years Hits Auction Block
Includes never-released 'Radio Peace,' performed during John and Yoko's 1970 Denmark visit
- Think you've heard every John Lennon bootleg, remaster, and import? There's a new tape in the mix, unheard for more than 50 years, though you'll have to convince the person who just bought it for $58,300 at auction to play it. The 33-minute recording made in...
Ringo: OK, I'll Let This Sex Toy
Be Called 'Ring O'
Jun 25, 2021 1:38 PM CDT
Ringo: OK, I'll Let This Sex Toy Be Called 'Ring O'
Ex-Beatle ends trademark battle over penis ring with similar-sounding name
- Hear "Ringo Starr," and the first words you may associate with him are "the Beatles," "drummer," maybe "Octopus's Garden" —but probably not "penis rings." The 80-year-old star wanted to keep it that way, which is why he filed a...
Peter Jackson Has a Holiday
Gift for Beatles Fans
Dec 21, 2020 11:22 AM CST
Peter Jackson Has a Holiday Gift for Beatles Fans
Director offers 5-minute 'sneak peek' of Beatles documentary to hold fans until August premiere
- Earlier this month we commemorated the sad 40th anniversary of John Lennon's murder. Now, a happier cap to 2020 regarding Beatles news, courtesy of Peter Jackson. Per
Lord of the Rings
director released a "sneak peek" of
The Beatles: Get Back
, his upcoming documentary on...
This Would Have Been
Big Birthday for John Lennon
Oct 9, 2020 9:48 AM CDT
This Would Have Been Big Birthday for John Lennon
Paul McCartney posts tribute to his fellow Beatle's 80th
- It's hard enough to wrap our heads around the fact that John Lennon was killed nearly 40 years ago. Now another fact to make our jaws drop: He would've been 80 years old Friday. And as tributes circulate on the internet , one "heartfelt message" in particular is...
She First Saw the
Beatles in 1960.
Then, 'My Whole
May 16, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
She First Saw the Beatles in 1960. Then, 'My Whole Life Changed'
Astrid Kirchherr, who took iconic black-and-white photos of the Fab Four, is dead at 81
- Astrid Kirchherr, the German photographer who shot some of the earliest and most striking images of the Beatles and helped shape their trendsetting visual style, has died at age 81. She died Wednesday in her native Hamburg, days before her 82nd birthday. Her death was first announced by Beatles historian...
McCartney's Scribbled 'Hey
Jude' Lyrics Sell for $910K
Apr 11, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
McCartney's Scribbled 'Hey Jude' Lyrics Sell for $910K
Part of big Beatles auction commemorating 50th anniversary of their breakup
- On April 10, 1970, the Beatles were said to have officially broken up , and to commemorate the weighty occasion, Julien's Auctions offered more than 250 items of Fab Four memorabilia on Friday. Reuters reports that included among the pieces sold off were the wooden stage from a Liverpool venue...
Ringo Starr Gets the
Band Back Together
Oct 31, 2019 1:03 PM CDT
Ringo Starr Gets the Band Back Together
For one song, the Beatles are together, kind of
- A decades-old shoutout from John Lennon helped pave the way toward Ringo Starr's latest single—a Beatles reunion of sorts. Paul McCartney plays bass on " Grow Old With Me ," which is one of the last songs written by Lennon. What's more, producer Jack Douglas inserted a...
50 Years On,
'Fab Four' Hit Abbey Road
Aug 8, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
50 Years On, 'Fab Four' Hit Abbey Road
Thousands mark 50th anniversary of album cover shot
- Fifty years to the day after the Beatles walked across Abbey Road in London, thousands followed in their footsteps, including a newly engaged Paul McCartney lookalike. The
reports "an estimated 2,000 fans" gathered Thursday to re-create one of the most iconic album covers of all time....
'I Love You, Man':
Jul 14, 2019 2:59 PM CDT
'I Love You, Man': McCartney Plays With Ex-Beatle
'We've got a surprise for us,' says Paul McCartney
- The Beatles had 50% of a reunion Saturday night in Los Angeles when an unexpected guest showed up at Paul McCartney's tour stop,
reports. "We've got a surprise for us, a surprise for you, a surprise for everyone: Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only,...
What Critics Are Saying
Jun 28, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
What Critics Are Saying About
It's decent, but they fault its 'cheap gags' and 'romantic apex'
- Hit by a bus during a worldwide blackout, a struggling singer-songwriter awakes to a world in which the Beatles never existed and so steals the band’s material for his own. That’s the premise of
, which has audiences dancing. They give the film a 91% rating on Rotten...
New Play Credits
Overlooked Beatles Influence
Jun 16, 2019 11:34 AM CDT
New Play Credits Overlooked Beatles Influence
Author credits stabilizing effect, creativity of John's first wife
- If Beatles fans blame Yoko Ono for the Beatles' breakup, maybe they should credit John Lennon's first wife for the Fab Four staying together as long as they did.
, a play about Cynthia Lennon, her husband, and his band, will premiere this summer in Liverpool, hometown of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.