Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Other Presidents Sound
All-Clear on Classified Records
Jan 25, 2023 5:30 PM CST
Other Presidents Sound All-Clear on Classified Records
Obama, Clinton staffs say documents were turned over to National Archives
- With out-of-place classified documents now unearthed in several states and offices, a couple of former presidents made clear Wednesday that there's nothing to find in their garages or studies. The staffs of former Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton told the Hill on Wednesday that all classified material in...
We're Closer Than Ever to
Realizing Jimmy Carter's Dream
Jan 25, 2023 10:24 AM CST
We're Closer Than Ever to Realizing Jimmy Carter's Dream
Only 13 cases of Guinea worm disease were reported in 2022
- The planet got incrementally closer to eradicating Guinea worm disease last year. The Carter Center on Tuesday announced there were just 13 cases of the disease reported worldwide in 2022, down two from the year prior for a 13% drop (the initial count of 14 was later confirmed to be...
Celebrates 98th Birthday
Oct 1, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Longest-Living President Celebrates 98th Birthday
Jimmy Carter, who grandson says is still 'with it,' receives calls and callers at home
- Former President Jimmy Carter marked his 98th birthday Saturday modestly, as usual, at home in Plains, Georgia. "Friends are calling, and family are around," said Jill Stuckey, superintendent of the Jimmy Carter National Historical Park, who visited the nation's longest-living president in the morning. "He is...
Their 75-Year 'Adventure'
Jul 10, 2021 7:06 PM CDT
Carters Celebrate Their 75-Year 'Adventure'
More than 300 people gather at Plains High School to honor couple
- Former President Jimmy Carter on Saturday turned to his wife, Rosalynn, and thanked her for 75 years of marriage, telling her that she's always been right for him. "I want to express particular gratitude for being the right woman that I chose for my wife," Carter said...
Late Night Jokes Flow
Over This Presidential Photo
May 5, 2021 6:59 AM CDT
Late Night Jokes Flow Over This Presidential Photo
They 'look like a ventriloquist act,' quips Seth Meyers
- To mark President Biden's 100th day in office, he and First Lady Dr. Jill Biden paid a visit to a couple who know a lot about what they're going through: Former President Carter and his wife, Rosalynn. Last Thursday's meeting at the Carters' home in Plains, Ga....
Photo of Bidens, Carters
Looks a Little ... Off
May 4, 2021 12:19 PM CDT
Photo of Bidens, Carters Looks a Little ... Off
Bidens look enormous and the Carters tiny, but a wide-angle lens probably explains it
- The Bidens visited the Carters last week, and the Carters tweeted a photo of the get-together on Monday. People on the internet have been scratching their heads over it ever since, notes Yahoo News . The current occupants of the White House look downright enormous in comparison to Jimmy and Rosalynn...
In Georgia, Bidens
Stop By Carters'
Apr 29, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
In Georgia, Bidens Stop By Carters'
Tour to build support for agenda includes drive-in rally
- In Georgia to build support for the plans he announced the night before to Congress, President Biden stopped to visit a predecessor on Thursday. Biden and his wife, Jill, visited former President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, at their home in Plains, the
New York Times
reports. Carter, 96,...
Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama
Have a Message for You
Mar 11, 2021 8:43 AM CST
Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama Have a Message for You
All living presidents except Trump urge Americans to get vaccinated in new ads
- Former President Trump is noticeably absent from a new ad campaign in which the four other living presidents urge Americans to get a coronavirus vaccine when able. Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and each of their wives are shown receiving a dose in a new 60-second...
Former Presidents Start
to RSVP for Inauguration
Jan 6, 2021 8:54 AM CST
Former Presidents Start to RSVP for Inauguration
George W. Bush will be there, Jimmy Carter won't
- Former President Jimmy Carter and former first lady Rosalynn Carter will not attend President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration this month—but the sole living former Republican president will. A rep for George W. Bush said that both Bush and wife Laura will attend on the 20th, framing it like so,...
Sorry for Killing
Off Queen, 99 Others
Nov 17, 2020 10:36 AM CST
Radio Station Sorry for Killing Off Queen, 99 Others
Obituaries mistakenly published during RFI website work
- Dozens of political leaders, cultural figures, and celebrities did not die en masse on Monday, though anyone perusing the website of Radio France Internationale might have thought otherwise. Obituaries for roughly 100 people were mistakenly published—and some automatically picked up by partner sites such as Google, Yahoo, and MSN—...
Inhaled at the
Sep 12, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Willie Nelson Inhaled at the White House —and He Wasn't Alone
The country legend apparently lit one up with James Earl 'Chip' Carter III
- Wonder what Willie Nelson would do on the White House roof? Nah, you probably know already. "When Willie Nelson wrote his autobiography, he confessed that he smoked pot in the White House one night when he was spending the night with me," Jimmy Carter says in a new...
Some 'Heavy Hitters' to
Appear at Night 2 of DNC
Aug 18, 2020 7:49 PM CDT
Some 'Heavy Hitters' to Appear at Night 2 of DNC
Virtual convention will also hear from Jimmy Carter, Colin Powell
- Joe Biden is drawing on party elders at the Democratic National Convention Tuesday, making the case that he and his party are uniquely positioned with experience and expertise to repair chaos that President Trump has created at home and abroad. He's also showing off younger Democrats the party hopes...
Jimmy Carter to Undergo
Nov 11, 2019 8:47 PM CST
Jimmy Carter to Undergo Brain Procedure
Former president, 95, is in Atlanta hospital
- Jimmy Carter is back in the hospital and will have a procedure to relieve pressure on his brain Tuesday morning, reports the
. The problem is related to bleeding caused by his recent falls, including two in October. The procedure will take place at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta,...
Jimmy Carter Returns
to Sunday School
Nov 3, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Jimmy Carter Returns to Sunday School
Recuperating former president changes mind, speaks at Plains church
- Former President Jimmy Carter was back at church teaching Sunday school less than two weeks after breaking his pelvis in a fall. The 95-year-old Democrat used a walker to slowly enter the crowded sanctuary at Maranatha Baptist Church in the southwest Georgia town of Plains on Sunday. He sat on...
After New Fall
Oct 22, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Jimmy Carter in Hospital After New Fall
Former president, 95, cracked his pelvis
- Former US president Jimmy Carter has a fractured pelvis but remains in good spirits following his second fall in just over two weeks. The 39th president has been hospitalized after a fall at his home in Plains, Ga., reports the AP . Carter Center spokeswoman Deanne Congileo described the fracture as...
Jimmy Carter Gets
14 Stitches After Fall
Oct 7, 2019 12:27 AM CDT
Jimmy Carter Gets 14 Stitches After Fall
95-year-old still made it to a Habitat for Humanity event
- Former President Jimmy Carter had a black eye and 14 stitches after falling Sunday at his Georgia home, but made it to an evening concert in Tennessee to rally volunteers ahead of his 36th home building project for Habitat for Humanity. The 39th president fell earlier in the day at...
Jimmy Carter: I Couldn't
Have Been President at 80
Sep 18, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Jimmy Carter: I Couldn't Have Been President at 80
'I hope there's an age limit'
- Weeks shy of his 95th birthday, former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday he doesn't believe he could have managed the most powerful office in the world at 80 years old. Carter, who earlier this year became the longest-lived chief executive in American history , didn't tie his comments to...
Offer to Kim
Jun 29, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
Trump Makes 'Very Interesting' Offer to Kim Jong Un
President suggests DMZ meet and greet, also weighs in on Jimmy Carter, Harris-Biden tiff
- President Trump is set to fly back to the US Sunday after attending the G20 summit in Japan, but he's got one more thing on his list he'd like to do before he leaves: have a meet and greet with North Korea's Kim Jong Un in the...
Jimmy Carter's Comments
Will Not Please Trump
Jun 28, 2019 12:14 PM CDT
Jimmy Carter's Comments Will Not Please Trump
'He was put into office because the Russians interfered on his behalf'
- President Trump bristles at the suggestion that the Russians played any role in helping him win in 2016, which is why new comments by one of his predecessors will surely not sit well. “There’s no doubt that the Russians did interfere in the elections and I think the...
Goes Back to
Jun 9, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
Former President Goes Back to Sunday School After Surgery
Jimmy Carter broke his hip in May
- Former President Jimmy Carter is back to teaching Sunday school in Georgia after taking time off to undergo surgery for a broken hip. Carter told attendees at the Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains that he and his wife, Rosalynn, have nursing care at home and are doing fine, the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
Newly Released Selfie Shows Gabby Petito 'Documenting' Injuries
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.