Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
He Hit a $19M Jackpot.
Then Everything Went Wrong
in case you missed it
Oct 6, 2018 1:15 PM CDT
He Hit a $19M Jackpot. Then Everything Went Wrong
Jim Hayes eventually went bankrupt and turned to robbing banks
- You know those stories about people who strike it rich in the lottery, only to see their lives spiral out of control? Meet Exhibit A, Jim Hayes. At the Daily Beast , Natalie O'Neill recounts the crazy rags-to-riches-to-rags tale. In 1998, the 35-year-old Californian was working as a security guard...
Would-Be Bank Robber Balks,
Asks to Open Account Instead
Aug 1, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Would-Be Bank Robber Balks, Asks to Open Account Instead
Unfortunately, he was lacking the proper ID to do so
- A would-be bank robber turned into a would-be bank customer Friday afternoon, police say. The suspect walked into a Bayonne, NJ, bank and handed a teller a note demanding "all the money." But as the teller read the note, he snatched it back and said he wanted to...
Lottery Winner Pleads Guilty
to Robbing Multiple Banks
Mar 17, 2018 12:44 PM CDT
Lottery Winner Pleads Guilty to Robbing Multiple Banks
James Hayes won $19M jackpot in 1998
- James Hayes was working the graveyard shift as a security guard supervisor in 1998 when he hit California's SuperLotto jackpot, CBS Los Angeles reports. On Thursday—20 years after becoming a multimillionaire overnight—the 55-year-old Hayes pleaded guilty to bank robbery. Hayes was arrested in October while living in...
Cops: Suspect Took Cab
Away From Bank Robbery
Jan 25, 2018 4:07 AM CST
Cops: Suspect Took Cab Away From Bank Robbery
'Getaway driver' called police after seeing photo
- Police in West Virginia say a suspected bank robber was captured after taking a cab to the heist. Ryan Michael Stepanian was arrested in Monday's robbery of a Charles Town bank and another bank heist Friday in nearby Ranson, the AP reports. Cab driver George Lyon says he took...
Vegas Shooter's 'Psychopathic'
Father Became 'Bingo Bruce'
Oct 3, 2017 7:44 AM CDT
Vegas Shooter's 'Psychopathic' Father Became 'Bingo Bruce'
Benjamin Paddock was a bank robber who escaped prison and opened a bingo parlor
- One of the more unusual details to emerge about Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock is that his father was a bank robber who spent about a decade on the FBI's most wanted list. In fact, Benjamin Paddock also had a history with Vegas: In 1960 FBI agents arrested him...
The Snowbird Bandit:
a Good Cop Who Broke Bad
Aug 25, 2017 5:25 PM CDT
The Snowbird Bandit: a Good Cop Who Broke Bad
A decorated LAPD detective became a bank robber in his 70s
- “Seventy-one years of goodness and four months of idiot," Randy Adair says from the visiting room of a federal prison in California. The retired Los Angeles Police Department detective is serving a seven-year prison sentence for a string of bank robberies in 2015.
Los Angeles Magazine
'AK-47 Bandit' May
Have Finally Been
Caught, Thanks to
Call With Mom
Jun 29, 2017 11:03 AM CDT
'AK-47 Bandit' May Have Finally Been Caught, Thanks to Call With Mom
Richard Gathercole was arrested on other charges, then linked to string of heists
- Richard Gathercole was arrested June 20 after he allegedly tried to shoot a Kansas state trooper who was attempting to pull him over due to an obscured vehicle registration. But thanks to a phone call with his mother from jail, authorities now believe Gathercole is also responsible for more—much...
Failed Financial Adviser Robs
Banks in Old-Man Mask: Cops
May 12, 2017 5:59 PM CDT
Failed Financial Adviser Robs Banks in Old-Man Mask: Cops
Abraham Maghen allegedly stole nearly $12K before being caught
- Perhaps hoping to blend into Florida's geriatric population, a 24-year-old man allegedly robbed two banks in the Sunshine State this week while disguised as an old man. Authorities say Abraham Maghen brandished a gun while wearing an old-person mask at a bank in Pembroke Pines on May 2 and...
Used His Own
Jan 5, 2017 11:14 AM CST
Bank Robber Used His Own Debit Card
Before warning the teller, 'Don't make a mistake'
- A man entered a San Diego bank on May 13 and demanded money from a teller, saying, "You're being robbed. Don't make a mistake." He's probably kicking himself over his own gaffe, which helped send him to prison for three years and 10 months as...
Muggle Banks: Cops
Dec 21, 2016 11:03 AM CST
'Harry Potter' Busted Robbing Muggle Banks: Cops
Lookalike suspect in 6 bank robberies arrested
- Washington state police say they've nabbed a suspected bank robber who resembles a certain boy wizard, and who they say has a not-so-magical history of busting into banks. Police and the FBI say Caleb Andrew Dierlam, 20, is the "Harry Potter Bandit" responsible for at least six bank...
Bank Robber Keeps Spelling
One Important Word Wrong
Nov 18, 2016 9:30 AM CST
Bank Robber Keeps Spelling One Important Word Wrong
- A bank robber dubbed the "spelling bee bandit" because the notes he's passed to tellers contain the same misspelling is being sought for four robberies in Massachusetts, reports the AP . The FBI says the man's notes have just one word: "robery" with one "B."...
Cops: Cold Hand
Bandits Rob 23
Banks in 7 Months
May 28, 2016 3:05 PM CDT
Cops: Cold Hand Bandits Rob 23 Banks in 7 Months
Police are worried the robberies will turn violent
- Police are hoping to find three men they say are responsible for robbing 23 Los Angeles-area banks since November before things turn violent, NBC News reports. According to CBS Los Angeles , the men have been dubbed the Cold Hand Bandits because they always walk into a bank with one hand...
Cops: Babysitter Takes Kids
Along for Bank Robbery
May 17, 2016 10:39 AM CDT
Cops: Babysitter Takes Kids Along for Bank Robbery
She claimed there was a man threatening to hurt them
- Apparently the Babysitters Club turned into more of a Babysitters Gang as they got older. The
reports a 28-year-old babysitter allegedly used the two children she was taking care of to rob a bank Friday in Severance. Authorities say Rachel Einspahr pulled up to the drive-thru at the Colorado...
Dec 22, 2015 2:31 PM CST
Bank Robber Writes a Holly Jolly Demand Note
Give me money, and also, Merry Christmas
- Georgia police say a bank robber gave a teller a note that both demanded cash and wished the teller a merry Christmas. Gwinnett County police said in a news release that they are looking for a man who entered a BB&T bank in Buford on Monday and handed a...
Live TV Report
Dec 16, 2015 10:22 AM CST
Bank Robbery Suspect Interrupts Live TV Report
'I gotta go here and call 911'
- If a reporter is going to cut his segment short, "I need to call 911" is probably a good reason. On Tuesday, Adam Sallet of KIMT was reporting live outside a Rochester, Minn., bank that had been robbed a day earlier when a bank employee came running out of...
'Keep Smiling Bandit' on the Loose in Orange County
Nov 19, 2014 11:50 AM CST
'Keep Smiling Bandit' on the Loose in Orange County
FBI searching for Calif. bank robber who tells victims to grin as they pass the cash
- His words may seem cheerful, but his actions have been anything but. A California bank robber now called the "Keep Smiling Bandit" is being sought in two Orange County robberies in which he verbally instructed the likely terrified tellers to keep grins on their faces as they handed the...
Into His Car
Apr 26, 2014 2:10 PM CDT
Woman Halts Bank Robber— By Crashing Into His Car
'It was easy,' says Tina Gleim
- A Pennsylvania woman was visiting a local bank when a shaking teller told her a robber had just fled. Tina Gleim decided to do something about it: She drove her truck right into the suspect's car, ABC 27 reports. "I thought, 'I can't stop him any...
Alleged Cop Killer
Dec 29, 2013 2:57 PM CST
Alleged Cop Killer Shot Dead Outside Bank
He allegedly fired at police in Mississippi
- A bank robber sought in two holdups and the murder of a police officer was shot dead yesterday after robbing a bank in Phoenix, according to the FBI. The subject of a nationwide manhunt , he entered a Compass Bank in Phoenix yesterday morning and walked out in a black ski...
Dec 28, 2013 8:12 AM CST
Bank Robber Sought in Cop's Murder
FBI manhunt underway after Mississippi killing
- An FBI manhunt is underway for a man sought in two bank holdups and the murder of a Mississippi police officer. Authorities say the man first tried to rob a bank in Atlanta on Monday morning, but when he failed to get money from a teller, he robbed someone at...
Feds Nab Man Suspected
of Robbing 20 Banks
Dec 24, 2013 11:25 AM CST
Feds Nab Man Suspected of Robbing 20 Banks
Luis Alomar captured on Long Island
- The FBI has captured a man they believe is responsible for roughly 20 bank robberies along the East Coast. Luis Alomar, 37, was arrested at about 2:30 this morning in the Long Island community of Medford,
reports. Police didn't give any details on the arrest, but did...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.