Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
World Health Organization
Stories 1 - 20 |
These 19 Fungi Are a
Major Risk to Human Health
Oct 26, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
These 19 Fungi Are a Major Risk to Human Health
World Health Organization releases its first list of these 'priority pathogens'
- The World Health Organization already has lists of the viruses and bacteria that pose the greatest risk to human health. Now, a new list from the UN agency, this one dedicated to threatening fungi. Reuters reports the 19 fungi on the WHO's radar—including
, which the CDC...
WHO Has a Warning
for Couch Potatoes
Oct 20, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
WHO Has a Warning for Couch Potatoes
Agency notes 'severe' cost for physical inactivity, with various diseases looming
- Get active or risk disease. That's the message from the World Health Organization, whose first global report on physical activity indicates 500 million people in 194 countries will develop heart disease, obesity, diabetes, stroke, dementia, depression, or other diseases unless they boost their physical activity. "There are few...
WHO Chief: End of
Pandemic Is in Sight
Sep 14, 2022 2:29 PM CDT
WHO Chief: End of Pandemic Is in Sight
Weekly deaths hit lowest level since March 2020
- The end of the pandemic is in sight and the world has never been in a better position to stop COVID-19, the chief of the World Health Organization said Wednesday. Reuters describes Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus' remarks as his most optimistic since March 2020, when the UN health agency first declared...
in 2 Days
Jul 30, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Spain Reports 2 Monkeypox Fatalities in 2 Days
Brazil has reported its first fatality, while WHO official warns of more ahead
- Spain on Saturday reported a second death in as many days from monkeypox. These are believed to be the first confirmed fatalities from the disease in Europe since its recent spread beyond Africa. Both fatalities were young men, the health ministry said, after reporting Spain's first death on Friday,...
UN: We Have a
Jul 23, 2022 10:31 AM CDT
UN: We Have a Monkeypox 'Outbreak'
'We have an outbreak that has spread around the world rapidly through new modes of transmission'
- The chief of the World Health Organization said the expanding monkeypox outbreak in more than 70 countries is an “extraordinary” situation that now qualifies as a global emergency, a declaration Saturday that could spur further investment in treating the once-rare disease and worsen the scramble for scarce vaccines. WHO...
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant
Is Raising Concerns
Jul 13, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant Is Raising Concerns
India experiencing 'exponential increase' with BA.2.75
- Another super contagious omicron variant has been detected in the US. Dubbed "Centaurus," the BA.2.75 variant was first detected in India in early May and is now spreading rapidly there. "It's still really early on for us to draw too many conclusions" but "...
Getting a New Name
in case you missed it
Jun 18, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Monkeypox Is Getting a New Name
WHO plans to hold emergency meeting on 'unusual and concerning' outbreak
- The World Health Organization is planning to hold an emergency meeting next week on what Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus calls the "unusual and concerning" worldwide outbreak of monkeypox . The organization plans to look into whether the outbreak should be declared a "public health emergency of international concern,"...
on COVID Origins
Jun 10, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
WHO Report on COVID Origins Angers China
Team said there should be further investigation of lab leak theory
- A team of scientists backed by the World Health Organization released a preliminary report Thursday on the search for the origins of the coronavirus pandemic—and China was angered by the suggestion that the theory the virus may have leaked from a lab merited further investigation. The team said that...
WHO Sees 'a Window'
for Stopping Monkeypox
May 30, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
WHO Sees 'a Window' for Stopping Monkeypox
Confirmed cases worldwide have reached 257
- With the World Health Organization's count of confirmed cases worldwide hitting 257, "the world has an opportunity to stop this outbreak," an official said Monday. "There is a window," said Rosamund Lewis, the organization's technical lead on monkeypox. Another 120 cases are suspected in...
200 Monkeypox Cases
Seen in 20 Nations
May 27, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
200 Monkeypox Cases Seen in 20 Nations
UN agency says virus is 'containable'
- The World Health Organization says nearly 200 cases of monkeypox have been reported in more than 20 countries not usually known to have outbreaks, but it described the epidemic as "containable" and proposed creating a stockpile to share the limited vaccines and drugs available worldwide. The UN health agency...
First Death Reported
in Kids' Liver Ailment
Apr 25, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
First Death Reported in Kids' Liver Ailment
Health agencies in US and Europe investigate 'acute hepatitis of unknown origin'
A mysterious liver disease affecting children in the US and Europe has claimed its first life. The World Health Organization didn't specify where the death occurred. It said it has received 169 reports of "acute hepatitis of unknown origin" from a dozen countries, with most of the...
Outlook Is Bleak for
Russia's Sputnik Vaccine
Apr 13, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Outlook Is Bleak for Russia's Sputnik Vaccine
WHO approval looks 'unlikely' following invasion of Ukraine: 'WaPo'
- Russia's coronavirus vaccine was the first approved for use in any country just six months into the global pandemic. But Sputnik V has now seen "an inauspicious fall," the
reports, adding Russia's invasion of Ukraine looks to have "sabotaged any further aspirations" for...
WHO: Europe Is Entering
'Plausible Endgame' to COVID
Feb 3, 2022 4:33 AM CST
WHO: Europe Is Entering 'Plausible Endgame' to COVID
Upcoming period 'should be seen as a cease-fire that could bring us enduring peace'
- The director of the World Health Organization’s Europe office said Thursday the continent is now entering a “plausible endgame” to the pandemic and the number of coronavirus deaths is starting to plateau. Dr. Hans Kluge said at a media briefing that there is a "singular opportunity" for...
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
Jan 7, 2022 7:35 AM CST
WHO: Don't Call Omicron 'Mild'
World passes 300M COVID cases
- When describing a viral strain spreading around the world with astonishing speed, words matter, and "mild" is not the correct word for omicron, the chief of the World Health Organization warned Thursday. "While omicron does appear to be less severe compared to delta, especially in those vaccinated, it...
Japan Does a 180 on
Controversial Omicron Policy
Dec 2, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Japan Does a 180 on Controversial Omicron Policy
And more on what omicron means around the globe
Just one day after announcing a recommendation that quickly became quite controversial, Japan is changing its tune. The country's transport ministry on Thursday said it was retracting its request that airlines stop taking reservations for people coming in to Japan until the new year, the AP reports.
Scientists Try to Assess
When the Virus Will Transition
Nov 5, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
Scientists Try to Assess When the Virus Will Transition
Pfizer executive says the pandemic may be fading by the time Biden's vaccine mandate kicks in
- President Biden has set a Jan. 4 deadline for employees of businesses to be vaccinated. At that point, a Pfizer board member said Friday, the outbreak might already be in its next stage. "By Jan. 4, this pandemic may well be over, at least as it relates to the...
WHO Wants to
to Its Beginning
Oct 13, 2021 4:14 PM CDT
WHO Wants to Trace Pandemic to Its Beginning
Standing group also will make plans to deal with other outbreaks
- The World Health Organization has tried before to discover the origins of the coronavirus but found no clear answer, at least partly because of a lack of cooperation from China. But the organization launched a second attempt Wednesday by naming a more formal, standing panel of scientists to what it'...
Biden to Back
Sep 22, 2021 6:11 AM CDT
Biden to Back Ambitious Global Vaccination Goal
Administration to commit to donate 1.1B doses through 2022
- President Biden is set to announce that the US is doubling its purchase of Pfizer's COVID-19 shots to share with the world to 1 billion doses as he embraces the goal of vaccinating 70% of the global population within the next year, per the AP . The stepped-up commitment is...
Toddlers in Cuba Are Now
Getting Homegrown Vaccines
Sep 15, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
Toddlers in Cuba Are Now Getting Homegrown Vaccines
Cuba is administering Soberana 2, not recognized by WHO, to kids as young as 2
- With kids still out of school since March 2020, and one of the highest coronavirus rates worldwide, Cuba announced a bold new undertaking Monday: It has begun to administer a COVID vaccine to children, even toddlers, reports Voice of America . Kids ages 2-18 are receiving Soberana 2 and the booster...
Aug 30, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
New Variant Surfaces in South Africa
Researchers can't tell much yet, but WHO labels this version 'of concern'
- Another coronavirus variant has been detected, say researchers who caution against becoming too concerned but suspect it's better at getting around immunity protection than delta. The researchers spotted the C.1.2 variant in May in South Africa, Reuters reports, and published their work this month. It has not...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.