Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
County Paid Big Bucks
for Plagiarism-Riddled Book
Jun 6, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
County Paid Big Bucks for Plagiarism-Riddled Book
'Mercury News' finds that 20% of it was copied without attribution in Santa Clara
- Santa Clara County Executive Jeff Smith is not only “shocked” but also “very concerned” to learn that a costly book project overseen by his office is in fact riddled with plagiarized passages. According to the
which ran the 580-page taxpayer-funded manuscript through plagiarism software , some 20%...
Author's Essay Explaining Her
Plagiarism Allegedly Contained
... More Plagiarism
May 10, 2022 12:48 AM CDT
Author's Essay Explaining Her Plagiarism Allegedly Contained ... More Plagiarism
Jumi Bello's novel, and now her essay about that novel, have both been pulled
- An author's online essay on why she used plagiarized material in a novel pulled earlier this year has itself been removed after editors found she had again lifted material, the AP reports. Jumi Bello's “I Plagiarized Parts of My Debut Novel. Here’s Why" appeared just briefly...
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now
Accused of Plagiarism
Apr 6, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now Accused of Plagiarism
At issue: Asghar Farhadi's film 'A Hero'
- Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi took home Oscars in 2012 and 2017 in the best international feature category. His 2021 film,
managed to win the grand prize at Cannes—but also land him in court to fend off allegations of plagiarism. The director has been accused by former film...
7 Years On, a
New 'Shake It Off'
Headache for Swift
Dec 29, 2021 3:02 PM CST
7 Years On, a New 'Shake It Off' Headache for Swift
She filed a motion seeking to have the case dismissed
Taylor Swift wants a judge to take another look at his decision that a copyright infringement lawsuit against her can proceed. In a motion filed by Swift's side on Dec. 23, they say District Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald should have considered the "extrinsic test" in regards to...
Fans Call Obvious
Oct 21, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Fans Call Obvious
Chinese streaming service Youku is accused of ripping off the Netflix hit
- The "haunting"
has become Netflix's biggest show ever , a fact not lost on a streaming giant in China that's now being accused of plagiarizing the South Korean hit. Youku's version of
, per the BBC : an upcoming variety show entitled
Commencement Address Was
University President's Downfall
May 13, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
Commencement Address Was University President's Downfall
University of South Carolina president Bob Caslen resigns after plagiarism allegations
- The embattled president of the University of South Carolina resigned on Wednesday, days after he delivered a commencement address marred by allegations of plagiarism and a misidentification of the school itself. In a news release, the school announced that the chairman of its board of trustees had accepted Bob Caslen'...
Jan 16, 2020 2:05 PM CST
Basically Stole 2013 Film
Francesca Gregorini says 'nothing was left untaken' from 'The Truth About Emanuel'
The Truth About Emanuel
is about a nanny hired to take care of a "reborn" baby doll. M. Night Shyamalan's
, a new series streaming on Apple TV+, is about ... a nanny hired to take care of a "reborn" baby doll. Now Francesca Gregorini, the filmmaker...
Lizzo's 'Truth Hurts'
Hit With Plagiarism Claim
Oct 16, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Lizzo's 'Truth Hurts' Hit With Plagiarism Claim
Songwriting brothers say they're responsible for key line
- There's a battle raging over Lizzo's anthem "Truth Hurts"—the second longest-running No. 1 hit tied to a female rapper, with six weeks atop the Billboard's Hot 100 chart, per
. As the
New York Times
reports, two songwriting brothers lay claim to a signature...
Kutcher's: 'I Made
Jun 12, 2019 7:55 AM CDT
Principal Whose Words Echoed Kutcher's: 'I Made a Mistake'
West Virginia's Kenny DeMoss has been suspended for 5 days, without pay
- A West Virginia principal accused of plagiarizing Ashton Kutcher in an address to his school's graduating class has been suspended without pay for five days, the AP reports. The
News and Sentinel
reports Parkersburg High School's Kenny DeMoss was suspended Tuesday at a Wood County Board of Education...
Ripped Us Off
Mar 17, 2019 10:06 AM CDT
Ripped Us Off
2 NYC comedians say 2 different sketches were a little too close to their own work
- Live from New York, it's ... apparently a repeat, of sorts. Two New York City comedians contend that a couple of sketches the show has aired are plagiarized from sketches they posted to their YouTube channel years ago. Nick Ruggia and Ryan Hoffman have lawyered up and sent NBC a...
Jill Abramson on Plagiarism
Accusation: Look at Footnotes
Feb 7, 2019 7:24 AM CST
Jill Abramson on Plagiarism Accusation: Look at Footnotes
Vice correspondent Michael Moynihan made the allegation on Wednesday
New York Times
executive editor Jill Abramson is facing allegations that she lifted material from other sources for her new book,
Merchants of Truth.
She and her publisher are promising to investigate, reports the AP . A Twitter thread posted Wednesday by Vice correspondent Michael Moynihan lists several examples of...
Film Critic Resigns Over
Decade of Alleged Plagiarism
Dec 11, 2018 6:26 PM CST
Film Critic Resigns Over Decade of Alleged Plagiarism
Colin Covert had written for the Minneapolis Star Tribune for more than 30 years
Minneapolis Star Tribune
's film critic has resigned in the face of plagiarism accusations, the newspaper reported in an apology to its readers . The newspaper on Tuesday said it was tipped by a reader and confirmed instances in which Colin Covert's reviews included unique phrases previously used by...
as Fraud With Stolen Face
Sep 7, 2017 4:51 PM CDT
Photojournalist Exposed as Fraud With Stolen Face
Photos attributed to Eduardo Martins appeared in 'WSJ,' other outlets
- Once asked why he risked his life to photograph war-torn countries, Eduardo Martins expressed his desire to "show the public the reality of these places." The problem is the supposed Brazilian photojournalist didn't actually know the reality of places like Syria and Iraq because … he hadn'...
Crafty Politician Channels
Frank Underwood, Goes Viral
Jun 15, 2017 12:42 PM CDT
Crafty Politician Channels Frank Underwood, Goes Viral
He says he wanted 'the world's attention'
- He might not have the speech-writing skills of Frank Underwood, but it appears he can spin a story just as well: Mexican politician Miguel Angel Covarrubias Cervantes shared a Facebook video Tuesday in which he delivers a speech that will sound awfully familiar to any fan of
House of Cards
Bob Dylan Accused of Using
SparkNotes for Nobel Lecture
Jun 14, 2017 6:11 AM CDT
Bob Dylan Accused of Using SparkNotes for Nobel Lecture
Writer finds 20 strong similarities in Moby Dick portion
- Bob Dylan delivered what was described as an "eloquent" lecture this month as part of his Nobel prize requirements—but one writer says he may have approached the task like a high school student with an overdue project. Dylan discussed three favorite works from childhood and Andrea Pitzer at...
Michelle Obama Mural
Ignites Fight—Between Artists
Apr 24, 2017 10:06 AM CDT
Michelle Obama Mural Ignites Fight—Between Artists
Gelila Mesfin says mural artist Chris Devins stole her depiction of former first lady
- A mural of Michelle Obama painted in Chicago, not far from where she grew up, has generated interest both for the painting and for artist Chris Devins, who told DNAinfo on Friday he "wanted to present her as what I think she is," which is draped in colorful...
Surface About Gorsuch
Apr 5, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Plagiarism Accusations Surface About Gorsuch
Though an author he's accused of copying defends him against the allegation
- Senators who oppose Neil Gorsuch's nomination to the Supreme Court might have a little more ammunition to work with this week: Both Politico and BuzzFeed are out with reports suggesting that Gorsuch copied other authors without attribution in his writings, particularly in his 1986 book
The Future of Assisted
White House Press Release
Mar 7, 2017 4:09 AM CST
White House Press Release Copies ExxonMobil's
Both releases contained identical paragraph
- The White House and ExxonMobil were literally on the same page Monday when a White House statement on the oil giant's investment plan lifted an entire paragraph from an Exxon press release issued around 30 minutes earlier. Both statements praised how the company is "strategically investing in new...
Won't Take Job
Jan 16, 2017 1:30 PM CST
Trump Pick Accused of Plagiarism Won't Take Job
Monica Crowley decides against joining administration after hubbub
- Conservative commentator Monica Crowley will be looking for work outside the Trump White House
announcing Monday that she will back away from a top communications job in the wake of reports that she plagiarized liberally in her 2000 dissertation and 2012 book
What the (Bleep) Just Happened?
Top Trump Comms Pick
Plagiarized in Book: Report
Jan 8, 2017 10:24 AM CST
Top Trump Comms Pick Plagiarized in Book: Report
HarperCollins says it's 'looking into' claim that Monica Crowley liberally stole others' words
- Amid accusations that Monica Crowley, Donald Trump's pick for National Security Council communications director, plagiarized rampantly in her 2012 book,
What the (Bleep) Just Happened?,
publisher HarperCollins says it's trying to figure out, well, what the bleep happened. A CNN KFile investigation found more than 50 instances of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.