Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We Got Atomic Bombs.
St. Louis Paid a Price
Jul 15, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
We Got Atomic Bombs. St. Louis Paid a Price
A joint investigation finds health risks, spills to the St. Louis area were ignored
- The federal government and companies responsible for nuclear bomb production and atomic waste storage sites in the St. Louis area in the mid-20th century were aware of health risks, spills, improperly stored contaminants, and other problems—but often ignored them, finds an investigation done in collaboration by the AP , the...
Mar 16, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Missing Uranium Reported Found
Libyan National Army says it located the 2½ tons of ore near Chad border
- A stash of missing uranium ore reportedly has been found in eastern Libya. Ten drums were located near the border with Chad, the media unit for the armed forces said, per the BBC . The International Atomic Energy Agency said it was trying to corroborate the Libyan National Army report, which...
Iranian Move a 'Challenge'
to World's Nonproliferation
Nov 23, 2022 7:52 AM CST
Iranian Move a 'Challenge' to World's Nonproliferation
Per IRNA, nation is enriching uranium to 60% purity, a step away from weapons-grade levels
- Iran has begun producing enriched uranium at 60% purity at the country's underground Fordo nuclear plant, official media reported Tuesday, describing it as a response to a resolution by the United Nations' nuclear watchdog. The increased enrichment, reported by the official news agency IRNA, was seen as a significant...
Uranium Mining's Toxic
Legacy in the West
Aug 14, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Uranium Mining's Toxic Legacy in the West
ProPublica looks at example of Grants, New Mexico
- The city of Grants, New Mexico, was once considered the “carrot capital” of America. That changed in 1958 when Homestake Mining Company opened a uranium mill on the outskirts of town. Today, Homestake is still in business, but the mill is closed, and Grants will soon be a ghost...
Scientists Work to Tie
Uranium Cubes to Nazis
Aug 25, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Scientists Work to Tie Uranium Cubes to Nazis
Hundreds were lost in the years following WWII
- At the close of World War II, some 664 "Heisenberg cubes" belonging to the Nazis were dug up from a field near physicist Werner Heisenberg's secret subterranean lab and brought to the US. Kurt Diebner was at the same time also running a lab focused on trying to...
His Grisly Death Couldn't Have
Been Accidental. What Was It?
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
His Grisly Death Couldn't Have Been Accidental. What Was It?
The 'Cincinnati Enquirer' reviews the 1984 death of David Bocks
- "There was no plausible way for a worker to accidentally fall into the vat." So writes Amber Hunt for the
in a lengthy piece about the 1984 death of David Bocks. He worked—and died—at Ohio's Fernald Feed Materials Productions Center, whose bland name...
A 'Worrisome' Development:
Iran 'Has a Pathway to a Bomb'
Mar 4, 2020 6:11 AM CST
A 'Worrisome' Development: Iran 'Has a Pathway to a Bomb'
IAEA reports say Iran's low-enriched uranium stockpile has tripled
- When the Trump administration took the US out of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, the idea was to instead impose sanctions to pressure Iran to stop developing its nuclear program. Now, "the numbers suggest a different reality"—that Iran "now has a pathway to a bomb,"...
Collapse of Contaminated
Site Could Be Bad News
Dec 7, 2019 3:00 PM CST
Collapse of Contaminated Site Could Be Bad News
As if Detroit needed more bad news
- Living downriver from the Detroit Dock? You might want to buy drinking water for a while. That's because part of the historic site—long tainted with uranium and other scary chemicals—fell into the Detroit River on Nov. 26, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. A load of big aggregate...
Site Meant for
Nov 11, 2019 11:33 AM CST
Site Meant for Research Has Been Enriching Uranium: UN Watchdog
It looks like Fordo underground facility is in violation of 2015 nuclear deal
- The United Nations' nuclear watchdog has confirmed that Iran is now enriching uranium at its underground Fordo facility, a move prohibited by the 2015 nuclear deal. That's according to a confidential quarterly report that was distributed to member states and seen by the AP on Monday. Iran invited inspectors...
Iran Thumbs Nose at
Nov 6, 2019 7:54 AM CST
Iran Thumbs Nose at Nuclear Deal—Again
Tehran, wanting to ease sanctions, says uranium enrichment is 'reversible'
- Iran is continuing to back away from its nuclear deal with world powers following US withdrawal over a year ago. On Tuesday, President Hassan Rouhani announced that uranium gas would be injected into centrifuges at the underground Fordo facility beginning Wednesday. A rep for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran...
Iran, 5 World
Jul 28, 2019 11:31 AM CDT
Iran, 5 World Powers Discuss Nuclear Deal
Germany, France, and Britain are among those who met in Vienna
- Diplomats from Iran and five world powers recommitted Sunday to salvaging a major nuclear deal amid mounting tensions between the West and Tehran since the US withdrew from the accord and reimposed sanctions, the AP reports. Representatives of Iran, Germany, France, Britain, China, Russia, and the European Union met in...
Cops: Car We Pulled Over
Had Some Weird Things Inside
Jul 12, 2019 9:11 AM CDT
Cops: Car We Pulled Over Had Some Weird Things Inside
Like ... uranium
- An officer in Oklahoma stopped a car with expired tags only to discover that it was stolen. The surprises just kept coming. A search of the vehicle pulled over in Guthrie on June 26 revealed a gun in the console next to an open bottle of whiskey, a canister of...
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
Jul 8, 2019 3:41 PM CDT
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
It's now enriching uranium to 4.5%
- Iran on Monday began enriching uranium to 4.5%, just breaking the limit set by its nuclear deal with world powers, while it is still seeking a way for Europe to help it bypass US sanctions amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington. The acknowledgement by the spokesman of the...
Iran Set to Breach
Jul 7, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
Iran Set to Breach Uranium Limits
That's another blow to the 2015 nuclear deal
- Iran announced Sunday it will increase its uranium enrichment to an unspecified level beyond the terms of its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, reports the AP , breaking another limit set under the accord and furthering heightening tensions between Tehran and the US. Setting another unspecified 60-day deadline for the...
Iran Had an
a New Defiance
Jul 3, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Iran Had an 'Unwelcome Milestone.' Now, a New Defiance
Uranium enrichment will be 'as much as we want it to be,' President Hassan Rouhani says
- Iran announced an "unwelcome milestone" this week: It has 660 pounds of low-enriched uranium stockpiled, a violation of the 2015 nuclear deal the US pulled out of last year. The
notes that reserve on its own doesn't bring the country much closer to being able to...
Iran Makes New
Jun 17, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
Iran Makes New Uranium Threat
Country is about to bust through levels set out in 2015 accord US withdrew from
- Hostility between the US and Iran has been on the rise of late, and a new announcement out of Tehran about uranium is likely going to make things worse. On Monday, an Iranian nuclear official said the country is increasing its enrichment of low-grade uranium and will exceed stockpile limits...
'Rogue' Email Warns About
Grand Canyon Radiation
Feb 19, 2019 9:14 AM CST
'Rogue' Email Warns About Grand Canyon Radiation
For 18 years, tourists, workers may have been exposed to 3 buckets of uranium in park building
- A whistleblower at Grand Canyon National Park has made a startling disclosure in what the
calls a "rogue" email: Three 5-gallon paint buckets of uranium ore were stored for 18 years in one of the park's buildings, possibly exposing tourists and workers to radiation. In a...
US Gives Iran New
List of Demands
May 21, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
US Gives Iran New List of Demands
Secretary of state Pompeo wants Tehran to pull all troops out of Syria, among other things
- Now that the US has withdrawn from the 2015 nuclear accord with Iran, what would it take to strike a new deal? A lot, as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo revealed Monday in a speech outlining US demands, reports the
Wall Street Journal
, the AP , CNN , and Al Jazeera . Pompeo...
Nov 15, 2017 10:04 AM CST
Fox Host Bucks Network on Uranium Coverage
Shep Smith says the scandal involving Hillary Clinton and Uranium One isn't much of one
- It's the DC topic that won't go away: Uranium One. President Trump sees it as a Watergate-level scandal involving Hillary Clinton, while those who disagree—now notably including Shepard Smith of Fox News—think Trump and Republicans are wildly distorting the facts. The controversy came up again Tuesday...
DOJ: Sessions May Appoint
Special Counsel for Clinton
Nov 14, 2017 12:08 AM CST
DOJ: Sessions May Appoint Special Counsel for Clinton
Attorney general wants federal prosecutors to 'evaluate certain issues'
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions is leaving open the possibility that a special counsel could be appointed to look into Clinton Foundation dealings and an Obama-era uranium deal , the Justice Department said Monday. In a letter to the House Judiciary Committee, the Justice Department said Sessions had directed senior federal prosecutors...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.