Guy Who Raped Stepchild: Give Me My Spousal Support

Ed Abar files to have alimony reinstated now that he's out of jail
By Evann Gastaldo,  Newser Staff
Posted May 8, 2013 1:32 PM CDT
Guy Who Raped Stepchild: Give Me My Spousal Support

Warning: This story may make you want to punch something. Ed Abar has filed to have the alimony his ex-wife used to pay him reinstated—even though he was convicted of raping his ex-wife's daughter, CBS 2 of Los Angeles reports. Carol Abar married Ed in 1991, when her daughter was 9. Sixteen years later, her daughter finally told Carol that Ed had been raping her all those years. "He had threatened me that he would kill my mom; he would kill my stepbrothers; he would kill me," the daughter, who wishes to stay anonymous, recalls. Carol and Ed divorced before he was charged with rape, and since Carol made more money, she had to pay Ed $1,300 a month in spousal support.

Last year—by which time Carol had paid him $22,000—Ed pleaded guilty to one of the five rape charges in a plea deal, and was sentenced to more than a year in jail. The spousal support was temporarily stopped, but now that he's out of jail, Ed Abar has filed to have it reinstated—and he also wants $33,000 in back payments he says he's due. He wouldn't talk to CBS 2, but his lawyer said his client is owed the money: "Under the law, he is entitled to some relief from the higher income producing spouse, so that the marital standard of living can be maintained." California law states that domestic abuse is taken into consideration when deciding on alimony, but child abuse is not mentioned. (More rape stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.