62% of US Backs Same-Sex Unions

And younger generation is much more likely to support gay marriage: poll
By Evann Gastaldo,  Newser Staff
Posted May 14, 2012 8:17 AM CDT
62% of US Backs Same-Sex Unions
Most Americans support some form of legal recognition for same-sex couples, a new survey finds.   (Shutterstock)

Nearly two-thirds of Americans support same-sex unions, though not necessarily marriage, a new CBS News/New York Times poll finds. While 38% of respondents said gay couples should be allowed to marry, another 24% said they should be granted legal rights via civil unions, for a grand total of 62% who back same-sex unions. Some 33% said same-sex couples should not be legally recognized at all.

The results are more striking when broken down by age, notes CBS: Though the percentage of those 18 to 44 who oppose legal recognition is about the same as the overall average, a full 53% in that age group support gay marriage. That’s dramatically different from the opinion of respondents age 45 and over, just 24% of whom support full marriage rights. Not surprisingly, Democrats are also far more likely to support legal recognition than Republicans. Click for the full results. (Read more same-sex marriage stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.