Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Tourist Suffers
in Dublin Attack
Jul 20, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
US Tourist Suffers 'Life-Changing Injuries' in Dublin Attack
Man was beaten, kicked, in 'completely unprovoked' attack in city center
- Ireland's justice minister promised a "tough response" Thursday after an attack on an American tourist left the man with what police said are "life-changing injuries." The 57-year-old visitor from Washington, DC, had just left his guesthouse in central Dublin around 10:30pm Wednesday when he was...
This Is the Friendliest
City in the World
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
This Is the Friendliest City in the World
Toronto takes the top spot in Preply's rankings; 2 US cities also make the top 10
- Looking forward to a summer vacation, or even a relocation? Preply is out with its Community Spirit Index , which ranks more than 50 cities around the world in terms of how friendly they are to non-natives. The language learning app examined six main metrics to gather a sense of how...
Driver Who Rammed
Russian Embassy Gates:
'I've Done My Bit, Lads'
Mar 7, 2022 4:13 PM CST
Driver Who Rammed Russian Embassy Gates: 'I've Done My Bit, Lads'
He said he wanted to provide 'a safe corridor' for ambassador to leave Ireland
- A truck driver was arrested Monday after ramming the gates of the Russian Embassy in Dublin during a protest of the invasion of Ukraine—an attack a mission spokeswoman called "barbaric." Desmond Wisley of Leitrim got out of the truck, the
reports, and told bystanders, "...
Teen Son's Death
Jan 10, 2022 12:11 AM CST
Sinead O'Connor Rails Against Ireland After Teen Son's Death
Singer posts that Shane O'Connor was on suicide watch
In a lengthy Twitter thread Sunday, Sinead O'Connor railed against Ireland's healthcare system and its child and family agency Tusla, blaming them for the death of her teenage son, the
reports. "Guess where my son learned to make the noose that hung him? He tried...
Conor McGregor Pleads Guilty
in Assault at Dublin Pub
Nov 1, 2019 3:49 PM CDT
Conor McGregor Pleads Guilty in Assault at Dublin Pub
Fighter pays a small fine and avoids jail time
- Conor McGregor will live to fight another day after avoiding jail time in an April assault in a Dublin pub. He pleaded guilty Thursday and paid a fine of about $1,100, TMZ reports. The court could have jailed him for six months. "I assure you nothing of this...
800 Years After
Loses His Head
Feb 26, 2019 1:21 PM CST
800 Years After Death, Crusader Loses His Head
Thieves wreak havoc in crypt of St. Michan's in Dublin
- If you happen to stumble across an 800-year-old mummy head, Irish police are looking for one. The head of a man who fought in the medieval-era Crusades was "severed from his body and taken away" from the crypt of St. Michan's church in Dublin sometime before Monday afternoon,...
Irish Utterly Lose Their Minds
Over ... Krispy Kreme
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 7, 2018 7:17 AM CDT
Irish Utterly Lose Their Minds Over ... Krispy Kreme
Dublin 24-hour drive-thru shuts down after one week due to chaos
- Honking horns, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and tempers converged upon the Irish capital of Dublin over the past seven days—and it was all due to tasty fried dough. Mashable reports that the Sept. 26 grand opening of the city's first 24-hour Krispy Kreme drive-thru quickly resulted in long lines of...
A First for Guinness:
Overnight Visitor at Brewery
Mar 13, 2017 9:10 AM CDT
A First for Guinness: Overnight Visitor at Brewery
Airbnb's latest contest is at famous Dublin site
- Guinness is inviting its first sleepover guest in the Dublin brewery's 258-year history—by transforming its rooftop bar into a penthouse with the city's most panoramic view. The maker of Ireland's ubiquitous stout announced Monday that it's hosting the latest "Night At" event by Airbnb,...
Soon, Dublin Will Help
Heroin Users Shoot Up
Nov 3, 2015 11:10 AM CST
Soon, Dublin Will Help Heroin Users Shoot Up
Gov't wants to treat substance abuse as public health issue, not a criminal one
- Starting in 2016 in Dublin, heroin users will be able to head to a new injection center and shoot up "in a safe, secure, passionate environment" without risk of being arrested, Aodhan O'Riordain, Ireland's drug czar, tells AFP . Patrons will need to bring their own drugs and...
Irish Prison to Stop
Crap in Buckets
Nov 11, 2013 5:52 PM CST
Irish Prison to Stop Making Inmates Crap in Buckets
182 will no longer have to 'slop out'
- Some sweet-smelling news for prisoners at Dublin's Mountjoy Prison: They will no longer have to go to the bathroom in buckets or commodes in their cells, a practice known as "slopping out." Across Ireland, 504 prisoners—about 12% of the country's prison population—still have to...
Fete Suu Kyi
May 30, 2012 10:51 AM CDT
Bono, Ireland, Nobels to Fete Suu Kyi
Burma opposition leader getting top Amnesty honor
- It'll be a busy week for Aung San Suu Kyi: On June 17, she's headed to Oslo to belatedly pick up the Nobel Peace Prize she was awarded in 1991. The next day, she heads to Dublin to receive Amnesty International's top honor, presented by Bono at...
Saint's Heart Stolen
From Dublin Cathedral
Mar 6, 2012 4:37 AM CST
Saint's Heart Stolen From Dublin Cathedral
Preserved heart had been on display for 800 years
- A thief has ripped the heart of Dublin's patron saint out of one of the city's cathedrals. The preserved heart of St. Laurence O'Toole, which had been on display in Christ Church Cathedral for 800 years, was stolen over the weekend, reports AP . The relic was kept...
Welfare Office Bans Pajamas
Jan 27, 2012 12:31 AM CST
Welfare Office Bans Pajamas
If you look like you snooze, you lose in Dublin
- Irish welfare officials aren't asleep at the switch—and they've got a wake-up call for their clients. Dubliners have been a bit too chill when they turn up to collect their welfare checks, so the agency is banning pajamas in the office. "Pajamas are not regarded as...
Tens of Thousands
May 23, 2011 1:37 PM CDT
Tens of Thousands Go
for Obama in Dublin
Obama gives uplifting speech about Irish-American friendship
- Barack Obama let his Irish pride shine today in a speech before an exultant sea of people in Dublin, telling them he'd come to reaffirm the US' enduring friendship with Ireland, the AP reports. "There's always been a little green behind the red, white, and blue,"...
Irish Cops Defuse Bomb
Before Queen's Visit
May 17, 2011 3:00 AM CDT
Irish Cops Defuse Bomb Before Queen's Visit
Device found on Dublin bus
- Irish police found a bomb on a bus near Dublin just hours before Queen Elizabeth II was due to arrive in the city. The army was called in to neutralize the device discovered in County Kildare late last night. Officials say the queen will still travel to the city today,...
Irish Protest Austerity Plan
Nov 27, 2010 1:10 PM CST
Irish Protest Austerity Plan
Thousands take to the streets of Dublin
- As the final details of an international bailout were being ironed out, thousands of protesters clogged the streets of Dublin today to protest the nation's new austerity plan, reports the BBC . Among other things, it's going to mean tax hikes, sharp drops in public assistance, and thousands of layoffs in...
Execs Busted for
Nov 11, 2010 5:46 AM CST
Execs Busted for 'Office Babe' Email
PricewaterhouseCoopers men aimed to rank 'top10'
- Accounting behemoth PricewaterhouseCoopers is roiling in controversy after a group of executives distributed a photo-heavy email ranking the top babelicious workers in the Dublin office. "We are taking this matter extremely seriously and are launching a full investigation," said a company spokesman of the email, distributed among 17...
Mar 13, 2010 11:31 AM CST
Ireland Wants Cooler Leprechauns
Dublin museum hopes to restore their 'respectability'
- A new museum in Dublin hopes to salvage the image of Ireland's beloved leprechaun. These sprites used to be cool. They were wily, not-so-nice shoemakers who duped suckers into thinking they hit it rich. Now they're kitschy, "top-o-the-morning" creatures of the Lucky Charms variety. "It is a derogatory...
Sex Abuse by
Nov 26, 2009 10:04 AM CST
Sex Abuse by Irish Priests 'Hidden for Decades'
Senior clerics implicated in child abuse cover-up
- Catholic authorities in Ireland covered up sexual abuse by priests for decades in an effort to protect the church, according to a damning government report. The report, which looks into allegations of child sex abuse against 46 Dublin-area priests over a 30-year period, will "shock us all," said...
Celtic Tiger Hangover
Pounds Dublin Bars
Jun 24, 2009 7:50 AM CDT
Celtic Tiger Hangover Pounds Dublin Bars
Busted Celtic Tiger forces dozens of restaurants, nightclubs out of business
- Once the poor man of Europe, Ireland rode a breathtaking economic boom that transformed Dublin into one of the region's swankiest capitals. But now that the Celtic Tiger has gone bust, the ambitious restaurants and exclusive lounges of the new Dublin are closing their doors. Cash and credit have dried...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.