Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Man Pointed Gun
at Boy, 6 on His Porch
Oct 31, 2023 4:59 PM CDT
Cops: Man Pointed Gun at Boy, 6 on His Porch
Kids had left Halloween goody bag at wrong house
- A Long Island man who allegedly pointed a gun at the head of a 6-year-old boy in front of his home Saturday evening has been charged with menacing and endangering the welfare of a child—but his lawyer says it's all a misunderstanding. Police say a woman drove her...
Disgraced Ex-Police Chief
Solicited Sex in Park: Cops
Aug 23, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
Disgraced Ex-Police Chief Solicited Sex in Park: Cops
James Burke, formerly of the Suffolk County Police, asked ranger, 'Do you know who I am?'
- A former New York police chief who led the investigation into the Long Island serial killings before he was sent to prison for beating a suspect was arrested again Tuesday, this time for allegedly soliciting sex in a public park. James Burke, who led the Suffolk County Police Department from...
Bacteria Linked to Oysters,
Seawater Kills 3 on East Coast
Aug 17, 2023 2:50 AM CDT
Bacteria Linked to Oysters, Seawater Kills 3 on East Coast
4th person also sickened, but survives
- Three people in New York and Connecticut have died recently from a rare but deadly bacterial infection linked to raw seafood and warm seawater. A fourth person was hospitalized with the same infection but survived, the
New York Times
reports. Vibrio vulnificus is a flesh-eating bacteria that can cause an...
Alleged NY Serial Killer
Is a 59-Year-Old Architect
Jul 14, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Alleged NY Serial Killer Is a 59-Year-Old Architect
Rex Heuermann faces murder charges related to three women so far in Long Island
- Authorities say a notorious serial killer on Long Island is a 59-year-old architect named Rex Heuermann who murdered his victims while his wife was out of town. "This is a day that is a long time in coming, and hopefully a day that will bring peace to this community...
Suspected Long Island
Serial Killer Arrested
Jul 14, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
Suspected Long Island Serial Killer Arrested
Architect Rex Heuermann linked to bodies found along Ocean Parkway in 2010: reports
- The Long Island serial killer has allegedly been found. Police in New York's Suffolk County have arrested a man allegedly tied to the Gilgo Beach murders on Long Island, which have stumped law enforcement for more than a decade. Authorities have found 11 sets of remains along Ocean Parkway...
Unwanted Guests Show Their
Teeth at New York's Beaches
Jul 5, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Unwanted Guests Show Their Teeth at New York's Beaches
Multiple shark bites reported off Long Island, Fire Island over the last few days
- It's beach season in New York—and apparently for the sharks hanging around in the waters off the Empire State's popular beaches, as well. As NBC News reports, several people were bitten by sharks on Monday and Tuesday, though none were fatal. The details:
A 15-year-old boy was
Great White Begins
His Summer Vacation
Off Long Island
Jun 7, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
Great White Begins His Summer Vacation Off Long Island
400-pound Jekyll was spotted over the weekend off of Quogue
- Last year saw a good number of shark sightings and even attacks off the coast of Long Island, and the summer 2023 season has already kicked off with the former. NBC New York reports that a great white was spotted Friday night and had neared the coastline by Sunday morning....
Cops: TikTok Challenge Drove
Teens to Act Like Kool-Aid Man
Feb 23, 2023 12:07 PM CST
Cops: TikTok Challenge Drove Teens to Act Like Kool-Aid Man
Kids busted for crashing through residents' fences on Long Island
- Another day, another stupid TikTok challenge. This time it involves a group of Long Island teens who allegedly decided to emulate the Kool-Aid Man's move of busting through walls —except in their case, they're accused of kicking down local fences. Fox News reports that Suffolk County police...
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was
Found Alive, a New Incident
Feb 7, 2023 10:50 AM CST
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
Last time it happened in Iowa; this time, a 'deceased' woman was found breathing on Long Island
- It's not a trend we wanted to see in 2023, but it's one that's emerging. Last month, a senior citizen in Iowa was pronounced dead at a continuing care home, only to be found alive shortly thereafter at a funeral home (she then died two days later,...
of Faking Resume,
a Fake Quote
Dec 20, 2022 12:40 AM CST
After Incoming Lawmaker Accused of Faking Resume, a Fake Quote
'New York Times' suggests congressman-elect George Santos fudged key facts
- Included in the statement from a congressman-elect who was accused of faking his resume was ... a fake Winston Churchill quote. Attorney Joseph Murray's statement concludes with the line, "As Winston Churchill famously stated, ‘You have enemies? Good. It means that you’ve stood up for something, sometime...
Dec 17, 2022 12:47 PM CST
Teacher Who Gave Teen Vaccine Shot Avoids Prison
Laura Russo pleads guilty to lesser charge
- A high school teacher fired after being accused of injecting a teenager with a coronavirus vaccine without his parents knowing has avoided a prison sentence. Laura Russo pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor count of attempting the unauthorized practice of medicine in court in Mineola, New York. She also entered...
'Torso Killer' Confesses
5 More Murders
Dec 6, 2022 2:19 AM CST
'Torso Killer' Confesses 5 More Murders
Richard Cottingham sentenced in Diane Cusick murder
- The serial killer known as the "Torso Killer" has confessed to five more murders. Richard Cottingham, who was already serving time for 11 murders when he was charged with another murder in a 1968 cold case last year, on Monday pleaded guilty to that murder and admitted he was...
Teen's Final Act: Pushing
Sister Out of Harm's Way
Oct 21, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Teen's Final Act: Pushing Sister Out of Harm's Way
'He's my hero,' mom says of 13-year-old Tyler Phillips of Long Island, NY
- The family of a Long Island teen who was killed during a hit-and-run earlier this month is lauding his final act: saving his sister. NBC New York reports that on Oct. 12, the day after he turned 13, Tyler Phillips of Medford, NY, and his sister Krystal Randolph, also 13,...
This May Be
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
This May Be the Craziest Goop Story Yet
2 men hospitalized after explosion involving s'mores in Hamptons store
- Some seriously strange stories have surfaced over the years in regard to Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop brand, but this one is right up there. As a police blotter item in the
East Hampton Star
explains, two men caught fire in a Goop store in the Hamptons after a most-unusual explosion....
2 Shark Attacks
on Same Day
in Long Island
Jul 14, 2022 2:21 AM CDT
2 Shark Attacks on Same Day in Long Island
Both victims survived their ordeals
- Two people were attacked by sharks in separate Long Island incidents Wednesday. Both survived. Near Smith Point on Fire Island around 7:30am, a 41-year-old man variously reported as a surfer or paddleboarder was knocked off his board by a 4-foot-long tiger shark, which the man punched. He was then...
During Lifeguard Training
Exercise, Shark Attacked
Jul 4, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
During Lifeguard Training Exercise, Shark Attacked
Lifeguard had been playing the role of a victim on Long Island beach
- Suffolk County officials closed a Long Island beach to swimming Sunday after what they described as an unprecedented shark attack that injured a lifeguard. The lifeguard, identified by CBS New York as Zachari Gallo, had been playing the role of a victim during a training exercise when the shark bit...
They Got Their Diplomas,
Then Rushed to the Fire
Jul 1, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
They Got Their Diplomas, Then Rushed to the Fire
6 Long Island teens are lauded for fighting blaze just minutes after high school graduation
- Last week was graduation week for many across Long Island, but several seniors from one school district said their final farewells to K-12 in a most unusual, and unexpected, way. Just minutes after the graduation ceremony at Port Jefferson High School had ended last Friday evening, a call came in...
She Hit the Wrong Pedal,
but a Teen Saved Her Life
Jun 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
She Hit the Wrong Pedal, but a Teen Saved Her Life
Anthony Zhongor, 17, rescued Mia Samolinski, 18, from Long Island's Patchogue Bay
- A scary moment led to a heroic one this week at Long Island's Patchogue Bay. A 17-year-old named Anthony Zhongor rescued 18-year-old Mia Samolinski after she hit the gas instead of the brake on her SUV and plunged into the bay from a parking lot, reports NBC News . The...
In This Long Island Town,
an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Apr 4, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
In This Long Island Town, an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Police help rescue baby seal from Southampton traffic circle
- Police in an East End town on Long Island received what LongIsland.com deems a most "unusual 911 call" over the weekend. Sgt. Jim Cavanagh of the Southampton Town Police Department tells CNN a seal was spotted on Sunday by residents, sliding through a parking lot in the hamlet...
Scratch-Off Player Wins
a Second $10M Payoff
Feb 27, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Scratch-Off Player Wins a Second $10M Payoff
Juan Hernandez cashed in the first time in 2019
- Juan Hernandez is starting to get good at this. The Long Island man claimed a $10 million prize in a New York Lottery Deluxe scratch-off game last week—his second windfall, after winning his first $10 million in a scratch-off game in 2019, per WNBC . The New York Lottery said...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.