Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Democrats Finally Get
Chance to Question McGahn
Jun 4, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Democrats Finally Get Chance to Question McGahn
Former White House counsel will appear before House Judiciary Committee Friday
- The House Judiciary Committee is poised to question former White House counsel Don McGahn behind closed doors on Friday, two years after House Democrats originally sought his testimony as part of investigations into former President Trump. The long-awaited interview is the result of an agreement reached last month in federal...
Aug 7, 2020 10:39 AM CDT
Court Rules Against Trump on Ex-Counsel McGahn
House panel can move ahead with effort to make him testify
- A federal appeals court in Washington on Friday revived House Democrats' lawsuit to force former White House counsel Don McGahn to appear before a congressional committee, per the AP . The full US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit voted 7-2 in ruling that the House Judiciary Committee...
Mueller Prosecutor Plans Book:
'We Made Mistakes'
Jul 13, 2020 7:35 PM CDT
Mueller Prosecutor Plans Book: 'We Made Mistakes'
Andrew Weissmann plans to cover efforts to hinder investigation
- A top prosecutor for special counsel Robert Mueller has a book coming out this fall about the two-year investigation into possible ties between Russia and the 2016 campaign of President Trump. Random House announced Monday that Andrew Weissmann's
Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation
will be published Sept....
Russia Investigation Material
to Remain Secret Past Election
Jul 2, 2020 11:39 AM CDT
Russia Investigation Material to Remain Secret Past Election
Supreme Court won't decide on matter until next year
- House Democrats are unlikely to see secret material from Robert Mueller's Russia investigation before Election Day because of a move by the Supreme Court on Thursday. In what
reports is a victory for the White House, the court said it would take up the case on whether...
Supreme Court Keeps
Mueller Material Secret
May 20, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Supreme Court Keeps Mueller Material Secret
The high court won't allow grand jury testimony to be released
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday temporarily prevented the House of Representatives from obtaining secret grand jury testimony from special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, the AP reports. The court's unsigned order keeps previously undisclosed details from the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election out of the...
Lawyers: Sending Manafort
Home Is 'Imperative'
Apr 14, 2020 2:54 PM CDT
Lawyers: Sending Manafort Home Is 'Imperative'
They request move to home confinement for Trump's former campaign manager
- Paul Manafort, currently serving a 7.5-year sentence for tax evasion, fraud, and other crimes, wants to go home early—and stay there. Lawyers for President Trump's former campaign chairman have asked the Bureau of Prisons to transfer their client to home confinement because of the coronavirus pandemic,
Feds Dropping Case Against
2 Firms in Mueller Probe
Mar 17, 2020 4:25 AM CDT
Feds Dropping Case Against 2 Firms in Mueller Probe
'No prospect of meaningful punishment' for Russian companies
- The Justice Department is moving to drop charges against two Russian companies that were accused of funding a social media campaign to sway American public opinion during the 2016 election. Prosecutors said they concluded that a trial, against a corporate defendant with no presence in the United States and no...
House Wins Access to Secret
Mueller Grand Jury Docs
Mar 10, 2020 2:05 PM CDT
House Wins Access to Secret Mueller Grand Jury Docs
Federal appeals court says Justice Department must turn testimony over
- The Justice Department must give Congress secret grand jury testimony from special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday, giving the House a significant win in a separation-of-powers clash with the Trump administration. The three-judge panel said in a 2-1 opinion that the House Judiciary...
Judge Has 'Grave Concerns'
About Mueller Report
Mar 6, 2020 4:10 AM CST
Judge Has 'Grave Concerns' About Mueller Report
He slams Barr's handling of the report last year
- A federal judge says he has "grave concerns" about how Attorney General William Barr handled the release of Robert Mueller's report on the Russia investigation last year—and he's not convinced all the redactions were made for legitimate reasons. US District Court Judge Reggie Walton has demanded...
Report: Pulling of Nomination
Linked to Stone, Flynn Cases
Feb 12, 2020 3:12 AM CST
Report: Pulling of Nomination Linked to Stone, Flynn Cases
Jessie Liu was in line for senior Treasury role
- Jessie Liu, the former US attorney for the District of Columbia, had her nomination for a senior Treasury Department role abruptly withdrawn amid controversy over cases linked to Robert Mueller's investigation, insiders say. Liu, who was nominated by President Trump in December for a position overseeing economic sanctions, was...
Trump Calls Stone
Feb 11, 2020 1:36 AM CST
Trump Calls Stone Sentencing Request 'Disgraceful'
Prosecutors recommend 7 to 9 years
- In a move deemed "disgraceful" by President Trump, federal prosecutors have recommended a sentence of 7 to 9 years for his old friend and former campaign adviser Roger Stone. In a sentencing memo filed Monday, prosecutors asked for a sentence of 87 to 108 months for the 67-year-old, saying...
Another Jail Sentence
From the Mueller Investigation
Dec 17, 2019 12:45 PM CST
Another Jail Sentence From the Mueller Investigation
Rick Gates, ex-Trump campaign official, gets 45 days over his consulting work in Ukraine
- A judge on Tuesday sentenced former Trump campaign official Rick Gates to 45 days in jail despite what she said was “extraordinary" cooperation with special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe and other Justice Department investigations, per the AP . The jail sentence, which the judge said was needed to...
House Lawyer Reveals
More Trouble for Trump
Nov 18, 2019 12:40 PM CST
House Lawyer Reveals More Trouble for Trump
Congress investigating whether he lied to Mueller, which could factor into impeachment inquiry
- More potential trouble for President Trump: The House is investigating whether he lied to Robert Mueller, which could provide more fodder in the impeachment inquiry, reports the
New York Times
. The revelation came Monday from the House general counsel. While in federal court in DC arguing for the release of...
Report: Probe of Mueller Probe
Is Now a Criminal Investigation
Oct 25, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Report: Probe of Mueller Probe Is Now a Criminal Investigation
Democrats say move raises 'profound concerns'
- The Justice Department's investigation of itself is now a criminal investigation, though it's not clear what crimes are suspected, sources say. An insider tells Politico that the investigation of the probe into Russian election interference in 2016—which became the Robert Mueller investigation—has been "escalated" from...
Trump Pushed a PM
to Help Mueller Probe
Sep 30, 2019 5:59 PM CDT
Trump Pushed a PM to Help Mueller Probe
Italy, other nations are being asked to assist with Barr's inquiry
- In May, Attorney General William Barr asked a US attorney to run an inquiry into the roots of the Russia election interference investigation. Sometime later, NBC reports, Barr decided other countries might be able to help, and he suggested that President Trump call Australia, US officials say. So the president...
Sep 17, 2019 7:09 PM CDT
Lewandowski Says Little to House Panel
Angry and defiant exchanges dominate hearing
- The White House told Corey Lewandowski, President Trump's onetime campaign manager, not to testify about any discussions with Trump or his advisers when he appeared before the House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday. The intention is "to protect executive branch confidentiality," said Lewandowski, who never worked in the...
More Big Names
Aug 15, 2019 5:36 PM CDT
House Panel Subpoenas More Big Names
House Judiciary Committee wants to hear from them Sept. 17
- As expected , the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday subpoenaed former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and a former White House aide as part of its investigation into President Trump's conduct in office, the AP reports. The committee chairman, Democratic Rep. Jerrold Nadler of New York, said his committee...
De Niro: Mueller's Performance
Wouldn't Get Him an Oscar
Jul 29, 2019 4:08 PM CDT
De Niro: Mueller's Performance Wouldn't Get Him an Oscar
Because 'calm, confident, and dignified' isn't what the academy honors, he writes
- The byline of Robert De Niro's opinion piece for the
points out the actor received an Emmy nomination for playing Robert Mueller on
. So he's perhaps more of an expert than most on a "Mueller performance." And he begins in a tongue-and-cheek fashion,...
After Mueller's Big Day, Pelosi
Spurns Impeachment Push
Jul 25, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
After Mueller's Big Day, Pelosi Spurns Impeachment Push
Hours of testimony apparently fail to move the needle
- Mueller Day is over, and the assessments continue to roll in. One common theme in coverage is that if Democrats were hoping Robert Mueller's testimony would create a big push for impeachment, they were off the mark. Politico reports that in a closed-door meeting of the Democratic caucus...
Trump: 'I Saw What
He Did to People'
Jul 24, 2019 6:01 PM CDT
Trump: 'I Saw What He Did to People'
To no one's surprise, Trump says Mueller was 'not very good'
- President Trump responded to Robert Mueller's congressional testimony shortly after it wrapped up on Wednesday, CNN reports. One hot topic: Mueller saying he agreed that most of the president's written answers to the probe were untrue. "I don't know whose answers weren't—I guess his...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.