Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
One Baffert Horse Euthanized,
Another Wins the Preakness
May 20, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
One Baffert Horse Euthanized, Another Wins the Preakness
National Treasure's victory means there will be no Triple Crown winner
- Bob Baffert’s National Treasure won the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, ending Mage’s Triple Crown bid in the trainer’s return from a suspension—and just hours after another of his 3-year-old horses was euthanized on the track . Baffert headed to the winner’s circle on the same day...
May 20, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Horse Trained by Baffert Euthanized on Track
Havnameltdown throws jockey, who's hospitalized, in race before Preakness
- A horse trained by Bob Baffert broke down Saturday during an undercard race before the Preakness and was euthanized on the track. Luis Saez, the jockey, suffered a leg injury and was hospitalized. Havnameltdown, a 3-year-old colt stumbled near the final turn at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, the...
Medina Spirit Stripped
of Kentucky Derby Win
Feb 21, 2022 3:06 PM CST
Medina Spirit Stripped of Kentucky Derby Win
Since-deceased horse tested positive for substance banned on race day
- Medina Spirit was stripped of the victory in last year’s Kentucky Derby and Mandaloun was declared the winner after a ruling by state racing stewards on Monday. The since-deceased Medina Spirit tested positive after the race last May for a steroid, betamethasone, that is legal in Kentucky but banned...
Derby Winner Medina Spirit
Dies After Workout
Dec 6, 2021 12:56 PM CST
Derby Winner Medina Spirit Dies After Workout
Trainer Bob Baffert says colt, which tested positive for a steroid after derby, had heart attack
- Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit collapsed and died after a workout Monday at California's Santa Anita track, per the AP . The 3-year-old colt trained by Bob Baffert had just completed five furlongs in his second workout since finishing second in the Breeders’ Cup Classic a month ago at Del...
Hits Star Trainer
Jun 2, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Churchill Downs Hits Star Trainer With 2-Year Suspension
Bob Baffert will be barred from company tracks after second Medina Spirit drug test confirmed first
- After a second test on his Kentucky Derby winner came back positive for a banned steroid, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert has been suspended by Churchill Downs. The punishment will last till the end of the 2023 spring meet, the
reports. "Substance violations that jeopardize the...
May 15, 2021 6:39 PM CDT
11-1 Rombauer Takes Preakness
Medina Sprint finishes third after being overtaken on home stretch
- Rombauer has given trainer Michael McCarthy his first Triple Crown victory and denied Bob Baffert-trained Kentucky Derby winner Medina Sprint the chance at a Triple Crown—which would have come with a giant asterisk. Rombauer, ridden by Flavien Prat, won the 146th running of the Preakness on Saturday as an...
'Cancel Culture' Is Off the Hook
in Derby Winner's Drug Test
May 11, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
'Cancel Culture' Is Off the Hook in Derby Winner's Drug Test
Trainer Bob Baffert says ointment used on Medina Spirit contained steroid
- A day after he blamed "cancel culture" for the Kentucky Derby winner he trained flunking a postrace drug test , Bob Baffert has acknowledged that there is a likelier suspect: an ointment that contains the drug Medina Spirit tested positive for. In a statement Tuesday, Baffert said his veterinarian had...
May 11, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
Trump Offers Statement on Kentucky Derby Doping Scandal
As horse trainer blames 'cancel culture'
- Bob Baffert blames "cancel culture" for the controversy surrounding the Kentucky Derby win of a horse he trained, Medina Spirit, which flunked a drug test after the race . "We live in a different world now," the trainer told Fox News on Monday. "This America is different....
Kentucky Derby Winner
Flunks Postrace Drug Test
May 9, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Kentucky Derby Winner Flunks Postrace Drug Test
Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert: 'We didn't do it'
- Medina Spirit, the winner of last weekend's Kentucky Derby, has flunked a postrace drug test. The test sample was found to include 21 picograms, twice the legal threshold, of the steroid betamethasone. "I was totally shocked when I heard this news," Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert...
Triple Crown Winner Got
a Secret Break Before Derby
Sep 12, 2019 2:07 PM CDT
Triple Crown Winner Got a Secret Break Before Derby
'New York Times' says Justify failed a drug test, was still allowed to run
- Justify won the Triple Crown in 2018 and immediately became the most valuable horse in history thanks to a $60 million deal for his stud fees. But as the
New York Times
reports, there's now a big question of whether the horse trained by the legendary Bob Baffert should...
Justify Wins Sloppy
May 5, 2018 6:18 PM CDT
Justify Wins Sloppy Kentucky Derby
Bob Baffert wins again at Churchill Downs
- It was a slog through three inches of rain that fell at Churchill Downs on Saturday, but Bob Baffert-trained colt Justify had the first nose across the finish line at the Run for the Roses, reports the
Washington Post .
Justify won by 2 1/2 lengths and is now the first...
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.