Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me
Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Sep 15, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Larry Nassar victims speak to Senate Judiciary Committee about botched investigation
- Simone Biles says those involved in the botched FBI investigation of her abuser, former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, need to be "federally prosecuted to the fullest extent." Her Wednesday statement in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee came a day after the
reported that the...
Is Not Spending
His Money on
Jul 29, 2021 2:19 AM CDT
Larry Nassar Is Not Spending His Money on Restitution
He's had $12,825 deposited into his prison account, still owes victims $58K
- Larry Nassar has had $12,825 (which includes two stimulus checks) deposited into his inmate trust account since he was incarcerated, but the former USA Gymnastics doctor hasn't been using that money to pay the money he owes his victims. Court documents show that despite the aforementioned deposits, as...
Jul 25, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
One Team Answers Wardrobe Debate
German gymnasts compete in unitards, saying women should wear what they want
- The team's outfits looked similar to the others in the room as the arena lights gleamed off crystals crisscrossing their chests and down their crimson and white sleeves. But the German gymnastics team's new Olympic suits didn't stop at their hips. For decades, female gymnasts have worn...
FBI: We Blew It on
Larry Nassar Investigation
Jul 15, 2021 6:17 AM CDT
FBI: We Blew It on Larry Nassar Investigation
Watchdog says dozens more athletes were abused while agency mishandled allegations
- The FBI has admitted that its agents' conduct in the Larry Nassar sexual abuse case was "inexcusable" and a discredit to the agency. The FBI issued a statement after the release of a Justice Department watchdog report that outlined massive failures in the investigation of the former Team USA...
a Bad Chapter,
Biles Is Ready
Feb 15, 2021 4:31 PM CST
After Closing a Bad Chapter, Biles Is Ready to Compete
After the abuses under USA Gymnastics, athlete says this time, 'It's for me'
- Simone Biles has committed to performing in the summer Olympics this year. She's up at 6am for six hours of training, six days a week, for the Games scheduled for July in Tokyo . And she's committed to being even better, though she already has more Olympic and World...
Former USA Gymnastics Coach
Busted on Lewdness Charges
Jul 12, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
Former USA Gymnastics Coach Busted on Lewdness Charges
Terry Gray arrested on 14 counts in Las Vegas
- A former coach, already suspended by USA Gymnastics, has been arrested in Las Vegas on 14 counts of lewdness with a child under age 14. The charges cover allegations between 2007 and 2013, police said. Terry Gray coached at a club in the city, Brown's Gymnastics, from 2009 to...
Mar 15, 2020 7:36 AM CDT
Simone Biles Has Words for USAG's Birthday Wishes
'how about you amaze me and do the right thing... have an independent investigation'
- Simone Biles turned 23 on Saturday, and CNN reports that USA Gymnastics took the occasion to tweet a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the most decorated gymnast of all time, @simonebiles! We know you will only continue to amaze us and make history!" Aforementioned most decorated gymnast wasn't having...
by What This
School Is Doing
Feb 22, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Nassar Victim: I'm 'Horrified' by What This School Is Doing
Former gymnast Rachael Denhollander slams the University of Michigan over allegations there
- The first woman who publicly accused Michigan State sports doctor Larry Nassar of sexual abuse said she is "horrified," and "deeply disappointed" with the University of Michigan for how it has handled allegations of abuse by a doctor at that school. The university announced earlier this week...
Michigan Investigating Alleged
Sex Abuse by Team's Ex-Doctor
Feb 19, 2020 4:15 PM CST
Michigan Investigating Alleged Sex Abuse by Team's Ex-Doctor
Several people have made allegations involving Robert E. Anderson, who died in 2008
- After an alumnus sent the University of Michigan an essay in July 2018, the school launched an investigation. In "My Michigan Me-too Moment, 1971," Julian Stone had written about being sexually abused in the 1970s during medical exams by Robert E. Anderson, a physician for the school's...
Court Finds Coach Lied About
Hearing of Gymnasts' Abuse
Feb 14, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Court Finds Coach Lied About Hearing of Gymnasts' Abuse
Two women say they told Kathie Klages about Larry Nassar when they were 14 and 16
- A former college coach was found guilty in a Michigan court on Friday of lying to police about what she knew of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse of gymnasts. Prosecutors said Kathie Klages lied to Michigan Attorney General's Office investigators in 2018, saying she didn't remember two teenage...
It's a Good Day for
Michael Jackson Accusers
Nov 19, 2019 4:00 PM CST
It's a Good Day for Michael Jackson Accusers
Appeals court tentatively says lawsuits by Wade Robson, James Safechuck can proceed
- Looks like two of Michael Jackson's best-known accusers may have another day in court. A California appeals court has tentatively ruled that lawsuits by Wade Robson and James Safechuck—who accused Jackson in the HBO documentary
of molesting them as boys—should get fresh consideration by a...
He's Accused of
'Protecting a Child
a $2.4M Payoff
Jul 4, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
He's Accused of 'Protecting a Child Molester.' Now, a $2.4M Payoff
Scott Blackmun, ex-CEO of US Olympic Committee, allegedly let Nassar abuse continue
- Gymnasts who suffered sexual abuse at the hands of Larry Nassar just learned the man who allegedly allowed that abuse to continue walked away with $2.4 million in severance. Scott Blackmun—the former CEO of the US Olympic Committee, now dubbed the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee—learned about...
'I Denied It
... Buried It'
Mar 29, 2019 6:57 PM CDT
Star Gymnast on Abuse: 'I Denied It ... Buried It'
Simone Biles says she's stronger now
- Simone Biles said she wanted to be seen as a top gymnast, not as a victim. She hesitated to tell anyone that she'd been sexually abused —or to confront the matter herself. "And so I denied it, and I buried it," the athlete told actress Priyanka...
Another Michigan State
President to Resign
Jan 16, 2019 7:53 PM CST
Another Michigan State President to Resign
Over comments he made about the victims of Dr. Larry Nassar
- Former Gov. John Engler will resign as interim president of Michigan State University amid public backlash over his comments about women and girls sexually assaulted by now-imprisoned campus sports doctor Larry Nassar, a member of the school's Board of Trustees said Wednesday. Joel Ferguson told the AP that board...
Interim MSU Prez
Jan 16, 2019 11:20 AM CST
Interim MSU Prez 'Makes Catholic Bishops Look Enlightened'
Backlash follows John Engler's comments on assault survivors
- The last thing Michigan State University needs is another controversy. Its interim president has created one anyway with comments suggesting some of Larry Nassar's sexual assault victims crave the spotlight. "In some ways [survivors who haven't been in the spotlight] have been able to deal with this...
Larry Nassar Shocks
in Jailhouse Interview
Dec 24, 2018 12:21 AM CST
Larry Nassar Shocks in Jailhouse Interview
Seems he was never really sorry
- A scathing new report paints Larry Nassar as unrepentant and Michigan State University as dodging the long arm of the law, CNN reports. Released Friday, the Michigan Attorney General's Office report is an update on its probe into MSU's handling of Nassar's shocking history of sexual abuse....
Year's Most Notable Quote
Comes From Rudy Giuliani
in case you missed it
Dec 15, 2018 12:00 PM CST
Year's Most Notable Quote Comes From Rudy Giuliani
Yale ranks his 'the truth isn't the truth' line as No. 1 for 2018
- Yale Law School is out with its annual list of the year's 10 most notable quotes, and it is not President Trump but one of his attorneys, Rudy Giuliani, that has the No. 1 spot. "The truth isn't the truth." Giuliani uttered it to NBC's...
Won't Jump, So
USOC Will Push It
Nov 22, 2018 5:24 PM CST
USA Gymnastics Won't Jump, So USOC Will Push It
Organization refused to give it status voluntarily
- USA Gymnastics has refused to give up its status at the sport's national governing body, so the US Olympic Committee has started what could be a months-long process to force it out. The USOC first moved to decertify USA Gymnastics earlier this month, saying the organization had failed to...
Lawyer on Charges Against
Ex-MSU President: 'Baseless'
Nov 21, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Lawyer on Charges Against Ex-MSU President: 'Baseless'
Lou Anna Simon accused of making false or misleading statements in Larry Nassar case
- She was the first woman president at Michigan State University, but her career there ended in the aftermath of Larry Nassar . Now Lou Anna Simon has a new problem to deal with: The
Lansing State Journal
reports she's the third person from MSU to be hit with charges from...
20 Years of Deception: How
Larry Nassar Got Away With It
Nov 20, 2018 4:40 PM CST
20 Years of Deception: How Larry Nassar Got Away With It
The Cut: 'The trick was to establish traditional medical credibility and then get weird'
- It's a simple question regarding Larry Nassar, the imprisoned pedophile who raped hundreds of young gymnasts: "How did he deceive so many for so long?" The question is posed in the headline of a lengthy story at the Cut by Kerry Howley, who begins by disputing the notion...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.