Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Joe Biden 2020
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 15, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Navajos See Arizona Bills as Hindering Voting
Their access already is limited, Native American leaders say
- Arizona Republicans say the voter restrictions they're pushing after President Biden's win in the state last year are designed to strengthen the integrity of future elections. To some, the changes will make voting even more difficult. The bills, some signed into law this past week by Gov. Doug...
Intelligence Report Says
2 Countries Tried to
Sway 2020 Election
Mar 16, 2021 3:58 PM CDT
Intelligence Report Says 2 Countries Tried to Sway 2020 Election
But there is no sign Russia or Iran tried to hack voting systems, officials say
- Russia tried to boost Donald Trump's re-election chances and Iran tried to damage them, but there is no sign those countries or any others interfered with voting systems in the 2020 election, according to a newly declassified intelligence report. The report from the Director of National Intelligence states that...
What to Expect in
Jan 20, 2021 2:40 AM CST
What to Expect in 'Most Important Inaugural Speech Since Lincoln'
Themes will be unity, recovery at noon, aides say
- Joe Biden becomes president on Wednesday, and Sen. Chris Coons, one of his close allies, says the speech he gives on the occasion will be "the most important inaugural speech since Lincoln." Biden has the daunting task of attempting to unite the country after a divisive election and...
Biden Confirms He's
Going With Merrick Garland
Jan 7, 2021 5:33 AM CST
Biden Confirms He's Going With Merrick Garland
Says his pick for attorney general will 'restore the independence of the department'
- President-elect Joe Biden has announced Merrick Garland as his pick for attorney general, saying the federal appeals court judge and three others he has selected for senior Justice Department positions will "restore the independence of the department so it serves the interests of the people not a presidency" and...
Republicans Object to
Arizona Tally, to Applause
Jan 6, 2021 1:22 PM CST
Republicans Object to Arizona Tally, to Applause
Proceedings were halted when protesters stormed Capitol
- The joint session of the House and Senate convened Wednesday to count the Electoral College votes, and within 15 minutes the first objection was logged: Republicans objected to election tally in Arizona to lengthy applause in the chamber, forcing votes in the House and Senate on Joe Biden's victory...
Former Presidents Start
to RSVP for Inauguration
Jan 6, 2021 8:54 AM CST
Former Presidents Start to RSVP for Inauguration
George W. Bush will be there, Jimmy Carter won't
- Former President Jimmy Carter and former first lady Rosalynn Carter will not attend President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration this month—but the sole living former Republican president will. A rep for George W. Bush said that both Bush and wife Laura will attend on the 20th, framing it like so,...
As Georgia Votes,
Both Races Look
Jan 5, 2021 12:34 PM CST
As Georgia Votes, Both Races Look Like Toss-Ups
Republicans count on big turnout in Senate runoffs
- Republicans will probably need a large Election Day turnout to win the Senate runoffs in Georgia, according to the University of Virginia's Center for Politics . The site still considers both races toss-ups. Election Day turnout over 4 million would bode well for Republicans, allowing them to erase any deficit...
Biden to Skip
Traditional Inaugural Parade
Jan 4, 2021 12:01 AM CST
Biden to Skip Traditional Inaugural Parade
He'll instead receive a presidential escort to White House
- As expected , President-elect Biden will be skipping the traditional inaugural parade due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But he will still get a presidential escort to the White House after he's sworn in on Jan. 20, the Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Sunday. Some key Inauguration Day differences, per
Jan 3, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Pence Backs GOP Effort to Invalidate Biden's Win
Vice president, who will be presiding, 'welcomes the efforts' of congressional Republicans
- The Republicans in Congress hoping to throw out President-elect Joe Biden's election victory this week still don't have enough votes—or evidence—to do that, but they'll evidently have the support of the official at the microphone. Vice President Mike Pence, who will be presiding over the...
Adds GOP Votes
Jan 2, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Electoral Fight Adds GOP Votes
11 senators sign on to object to Biden's electoral count
- Acknowledging that their effort to keep President-elect Joe Biden from assuming office is unlikely to succeed, 11 Republican senators committed anyway Saturday to voting to reject Electoral College votes on Wednesday. The group said in a joint statement that a commission should be appointed by Congresss "to conduct an...
Trump Supporters Plan
a Virtual Inauguration
Dec 21, 2020 6:55 PM CST
Trump Supporters Plan a Virtual Inauguration
More than 60K sign up, but there's no indication the president is involved
- With the US Capitol grounds otherwise occupied that day, supporters are planning a virtual inauguration for President Trump on Jan. 20. More than 60,000 people have indicated on the Facebook event page that they're going, the Hill reports. It's scheduled for noon EST, which is when President-elect...
Biden Says After
Dec 14, 2020 7:50 PM CST
Democracy Won, Biden Says After Electors' Vote
President-elect asks the nation to unite and heal
- Addressing the nation shortly after the Electoral College confirmed his election victory, President-elect Joe Biden appealed for unity and tried to convince President Trump's supporters that "it is time to turn the page." Biden celebrated the US system of government's survival in the face of Trump'...
GOP Leader on Trump Gambit:
'I Can't Stand for That. I Won't'
Dec 14, 2020 6:55 PM CST
GOP Leader on Trump Gambit: 'I Can't Stand for That. I Won't'
President wanted a new lineup of Michigan electors
- President Trump had the leaders of Michigan's House and Senate, both Republicans, over to the White House last month. Trump wanted a GOP slate of electors to replace the ones committed by the Nov. 3 election results to voting for Joe Biden. House Speaker Lee Chatfield and Senate Majority...
This Should Be Milestone
Day for Joe Biden
Dec 14, 2020 6:53 AM CST
This Should Be Milestone Day for Joe Biden
Electoral College meets to formally cast their votes for the presidency
- Monday is a significant day in the US on two fronts: Not only do COVID vaccinations begin but the Electoral College meets. The latter is the next big step in the selection of the president, and one with added significance in 2020 because of President Trump's continuing challenge of...
Gates to Biden:
Let's Not 'Blow'
Dec 13, 2020 12:25 PM CST
Gates to Biden: Let's Not 'Blow' the Vaccine Rollout
Lack of communication between administrations could impede the process, he says
- Developing, testing, and distributing a coronavirus vaccine is tough enough. But Bill Gates pointed out something else Sunday that's compounding the difficulties. "The transition is complicating," Gates said on CNN . The Microsoft co-founder is encouraged, however, because "the new administration is willing to rely on actual...
in Latest Recount
Dec 7, 2020 5:33 PM CST
Georgia's Results 'Remain Unchanged' in Latest Recount
State again certifies Biden's victory
- President-elect Joe Biden has again won Georgia's presidential election. The state finished its second recount , after it was requested by President Trump's campaign, last week. On Monday, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger recertified Georgia's results, the Hill reports. "It’s been 34 days since the election...
Arrival in DC
May Be Unusual
Dec 7, 2020 1:59 AM CST
Report: Biden's Arrival in DC May Be Unusual
Sources say he's considering riding in on Amtrak
- Sources tell Axios that Joe Biden may not be arriving in Washington, DC, for the inauguration in the typical way. The president-elect is considering a method more appropriate for him—coming to town on the same Amtrak train the Delaware native used to take during his days as a senator....
Dec 4, 2020 4:20 PM CST
Conway: Biden 'Looks Like' the Winner
Former aide defends Trump's challenge of election results but says nation 'will move forward'
- A longtime member of President Trump's inner circle said Friday that she expects the Electoral College to award Joe Biden a majority of its votes and a peaceful transition to the new president to follow. "We, as a nation, will move forward, because we always do," Kellyanne...
Biden's 100-Day Plan:
Masks on Everyone
Dec 3, 2020 7:10 PM CST
Biden's 100-Day Plan: Masks on Everyone
A mandate will be issued for federal property
- Even when he becomes president in January, Joe Biden won't have the authority to order Americans to wear masks. But he will make it a request on Day One, the Hill reports. "Just 100 days to mask, not forever," Biden said Thursday. "100 days." Biden...
Wisconsin High Court
Dec 3, 2020 4:08 PM CST
Wisconsin High Court Turns Back Trump Suit
But legal challenge will now shift to lower courts
- A split Wisconsin Supreme Court on Thursday declined to hear President Trump's lawsuit attempting to overturn his election loss to Joe Biden in the battleground state, sidestepping a decision on the merits of the claims and instead ruling that the case must first wind its way through lower courts....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.