Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
2022 Beijing Olympics
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 7, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Skating Body: No More 15-Year-Olds at Olympics
ISU will limit senior competitions to those 17 and older after 2024
- The International Skating Union won't allow another 15-year-old figure skater to compete at the Olympics following the doping controversy surrounding Russia's Kamila Valieva in Beijing. At its 58th Congress in Thailand on Tuesday, the ISU voted to limit senior competitions to skaters 16 and older for the 2023-24...
Paralympics Does U-Turn
on Russia, Belarus Athletes
Mar 3, 2022 4:28 AM CST
Paralympics Does U-Turn on Russia, Belarus Athletes
They're now banned from Beijing Games
- The 2022 Winter Paralympic Games kick off in Beijing Friday—and after an abrupt reversal from the International Paralympic Committee, athletes from Russia and Belarus will not be taking part. In a statement , IPC President Andrew Parsons said an "overwhelming number" of national committees had contacted the organization, with...
Feb 21, 2022 1:23 AM CST
Olympic Skier's Genitals Freeze
Finnish cross-country skier needed heat pack for his penis after race
- A cross-country skier froze in a very sensitive spot following the men’s 50km mass start skiiing race at the Beijing Olympics Saturday. After finishing 28th, Remi Lindholm of Finland applied a heat pack to his genital area, the
reports. "You can guess which body part was a...
Top 10 Medal Counts
From Beijing Olympics
Feb 20, 2022 9:31 AM CST
Top 10 Medal Counts From Beijing Olympics
Norway is first, USA is fifth
- The Olympic flame has been extinguished in Beijing, per the AP . International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach officially closed the Games Sunday at the Bird's Nest stadium. It was the most locked-down Olympics ever, with participants restricted to a COVID-safe bubble where they took daily tests, wore masks, and...
Shiffrin Misses 6th Chance
at Medal, Sends a Message
Feb 20, 2022 6:01 AM CST
Shiffrin Misses 6th Chance at Medal, Sends a Message
American skier speaks of resilience and kindness
- Mikaela Shiffrin competed in her sixth event on Sunday—a rarity in itself—but she missed out on her final chance to earn an Olympic medal in Beijing when Team USA finished fourth in the mixed parallel slalom. The 26-year-old, one of the world's top skiers, didn't shy...
As Kamila Valieva Left the Ice,
Coach Demanded Explanation
Feb 18, 2022 6:18 AM CST
As Kamila Valieva Left the Ice, Coach Demanded Explanation
And more on the Russian skater's shocking free skate
- The first thing Kamila Valieva's coach said to her after the 15-year-old's disastrous free skate Thursday , which cost her a medal: "Why did you let it go?" Eteri Tutberidze could be heard asking Valieva during the live broadcast, as the teen stepped off the ice. "Why...
Eileen Gu Wins Gold,
Feb 17, 2022 11:14 PM CST
Eileen Gu Wins Gold, Makes History
The skier won women's halfpipe
- Even when Eileen Gu’s simply taking a celebratory stroll through the halfpipe, she’s still so stylish and makes it look so effortless. The 18-year-old American-born freestyle skier who represents China captured Olympic gold in the women’s halfpipe on a breezy and cold Friday morning to become the...
Mikaela Shiffrin's Olympic
Nightmare Now Includes 'Hate'
Feb 17, 2022 12:42 PM CST
Mikaela Shiffrin's Olympic Nightmare Now Includes 'Hate'
Skier highlights abusive comments after failing to medal in individual events
- For the first time in her career, Mikaela Shiffrin will leave an Olympic Games without an individual medal around her neck. The US alpine skier missed her last chance for an individual medal in Beijing when she crashed Thursday during the slalom leg of the women's combined event, of...
Skater in Doping Scandal
Has Disastrous Performance
Feb 17, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Skater in Doping Scandal Has Disastrous Performance
Russia's Kamila Valieva finishes in 4th in a stunner
- It might be the biggest surprise of the Beijing Olympics: Kamila Valieva, the 15-year-old Russian skater embroiled in a doping controversy , had a disastrous free skate on Thursday and finished out of medal contention in fourth place. "Stunning" is the word used by Christine Brennan of
Olympic Presser Gets Heated
Over Taiwan, Uighurs
Feb 17, 2022 8:22 AM CST
Olympic Presser Gets Heated Over Taiwan, Uighurs
Reports of human rights abuses are 'lies,' organizing committee rep claims
- What sports? The Beijing Olympics organizing committee's last scheduled daily news conference of the Games got downright political, as journalists asked about Taiwan, the forced labor of Uighurs, and the safety of Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai. Yan Jiarong, an organizing committee spokesperson, first made clear that China considers...
More Heartbreak for US Hockey
Feb 17, 2022 4:06 AM CST
More Heartbreak for US Hockey
Canadian women's team reclaims Olympic gold in 3-2 win over Americans
- Canada’s Captain Clutch, Marie-Philip Poulin, delivered at the Olympics again. Poulin scored twice, including her third gold-medal clinching goal, and Canada reclaimed its place atop the women's hockey world by capping its run through the Beijing Games with a 3-2 win over the defending champion United States on...
He Had Gold in His Sights After
COVID. Then a 'Silly Mistake'
Feb 16, 2022 11:49 AM CST
He Had Gold in His Sights After COVID. Then a 'Silly Mistake'
Wrong turn likely cost Jarl Magnus Riiber a medal in Nordic combined
- Expectations were high for Jarl Magnus Riiber going into the Winter Olympics. "He's probably going to go down as the best Nordic combined skier ever," NBC analyst Johnny Spillane said, per the
Wall Street Journal
. "If he has a good day, he's pretty much unstoppable....
Feb 16, 2022 6:56 AM CST
The Plot Thickens in Kamila Valieva Doping Saga
There were actually 3 substances found in her sample
- Not one, but three substances were found in Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's sample, according to documents the
New York Times
reviewed—plus someone who participated in the hearing that cleared the 15-year-old to compete. Valieva had actually listed the other two drugs, Hypoxen and L-carnitine, on her doping...
With Shocking Upset,
US Is Out of Men's Hockey
Feb 16, 2022 6:41 AM CST
With Shocking Upset, US Is Out of Men's Hockey
Team blanked in quarterfinal shootout with Slovakia, losing 3-2
- Minutes after failing to score in the shootout as the Americans' last chance to stay alive at the Olympics, captain Andy Miele took off his gloves to wipe the tears coming out of his eyes. "I'm just sad it's over," he said, per the AP . With...
Track Star Who
Feb 14, 2022 4:43 PM CST
Track Star Who Was Suspended Questions Skater's Case
Sha'Carri Richardson had to sit out Summer Olympics after flunking a drug test
- When Sha'Carri Richardson failed a drug test, the American sprinter was kept from competing in last year's Summer Olympics in Tokyo. When Kamila Valieva flunked a drug test, the Russian skater was allowed to continue competing in the ongoing Winter Olympics in Beijing. That leaves Richardson with a...
Feb 13, 2022 12:37 PM CST
Olympians Contend With Real Snow
Crews clear accumulation from courses and tracks as visibility worsens
- The Winter Olympics finally look like, well, the Winter Olympics. Real snow fell in Beijing on Sunday for the first time since the Olympics began, giving the city the appearance and feel of a real Winter Games. There was fresh snow in the mountains as well, where all events have...
It's a Gold
and a Big
Feb 13, 2022 9:30 AM CST
It's a Gold Medal, and a Big Milestone
Erin Jackson is the first Black woman to win a speedskating medal at the Olympics
- Erin Jackson has become the first Black woman to win a speedskating medal at the Winter Olympics. And a gold one, at that. Jackson won the 500 meters Sunday with a time of 37.04 seconds, giving the American speedskating program its first medal of the Beijing Games and first...
Olympian Sends Message
Feb 11, 2022 5:30 PM CST
Olympian Sends Message
IOC won't punish Ukrainian skeleton racer for displaying his sign urging peace
- An athlete from Ukraine has broken the ice on political statements at the Beijing Olympics, showing a sign reading "No War in Ukraine" to a television camera after completing his event Friday. The blue-and-yellow sign—evocative of Ukraine's flag—was displayed by Vladyslav Heraskevych, a skeleton racer, after...
More on Figure Skating's
Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Feb 11, 2022 6:31 AM CST
More on Figure Skating's Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Doping hearing to decide fate of Kamila Valieva, who could nab another gold
- Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's right to compete as the heavy favorite in the women's event at the Beijing Olympics will be decided at an urgent hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport after a failed doping test, per the AP . The International Testing Agency (ITA) confirmed...
After a Record-Shattering
Short Program, a Near-Perfect
Free Skate—and Gold
Feb 10, 2022 12:17 AM CST
After a Record-Shattering Short Program, a Near-Perfect Free Skate—and Gold
Nathan Chen of the US wins gold at Beijing Olympics
- Nathan Chen completed his four-year journey toward an elusive Olympic gold medal Thursday, following his record short program at the Beijing Games with a near-perfect free skate that earned him a standing ovation from supporters inside historic Capital Indoor Stadium, the AP reports. The 22-year-old star landed all five of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
As House Burned, Georgia Mother Allegedly Killed 3 of Her Kids
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.