Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Stray Dog Flirts With
Disaster in Gorilla Habitat
Jun 14, 2022 1:03 PM CDT
Stray Dog Flirts With Disaster in Gorilla Habitat
Things got tense, but everyone was fine in the end in San Diego
- In what must have seemed like a fine idea at the time, a stray dog wandered into the gorilla habitat at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park on Sunday. Franklin the gorilla and his partner were not pleased; nor were the horrified onlookers, at least one of whom caught the...
3 Star Attractions of
Children's Zoo Fall to COVID
Nov 15, 2021 8:32 AM CST
3 Star Attractions of Children's Zoo Fall to COVID
Nebraska zoo announces deaths of trio of snow leopards
- Big cats at zoos have contracted COVID during the pandemic previously, but this time the cases were fatal. The Lincoln Children's Zoo in Nebraska says the snow leopards Ranney, Everest, and Makaly have died after testing positive last month, reports CBS News . The cats were star attractions at the...
Sep 11, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
World's Oldest Male Gorilla Has COVID
A dozen others in addition to Ozzie have also tested positive at Zoo Atlanta
- The coronavirus has overtaken more than a dozen gorillas at Zoo Atlanta, officials say, including the oldest male gorilla in the world. The
reports that Ozzie —a 60-year-old, 350-pound silverback who's sired 12 gorillas at the zoo and is said to be a "terrific father"...
Pick Next Investment
Mar 16, 2021 2:46 PM CDT
Redditors Who Bought GameStop Pick Next Investment
It's gorillas, for a reason
- The WallStreetBets Reddit group has landed on its next investment: gorillas. Yes, really. The redditors who sent shares of GameStop (GME) soaring in January go by the nickname "apes," and on Saturday, one of those apes posted the following: "Adopted a gorilla." He did so in...
This Time It's
Dec 11, 2020 7:06 AM CST
Cher's Rescue Tour Continues. This Time It's a Gorilla
Star is begging for help to rehome Thailand's only gorilla from a department store zoo
- If you're thinking a department store zoo doesn't sound like a great place for a gorilla, Cher agrees. The singer, fresh off of her Pakistan trip to rescue the "world's loneliest elephant," is now making a plea to Thailand to free the country's last...
'Rafiki Has Received Justice'
Jul 30, 2020 10:14 AM CDT
'Rafiki Has Received Justice'
Ugandan poacher sentenced to 11 years
- There are only around 1,000 or so mountain gorillas left on the planet—and that number went down by one last month when a poacher in Uganda killed Rafiki , a silverback popular with tourists. The poacher, Felix Byamukama, had been part a group hunting illegally for bush meat in...
'Extremely Exciting' Photos
Emerge of Rare Great Apes
Jul 9, 2020 12:42 PM CDT
'Extremely Exciting' Photos Emerge of Rare Great Apes
Cross River gorillas photographed with babies in Nigeria
- You're not likely to see a Cross River gorilla in person, but you can see a whole troop in a series of rare photos. Cross River gorillas are the most endangered subspecies of ape, with only 300 known to live in the wild, reports the BBC . The gorillas—which...
Death of Popular
Rare Gorilla Could
Jun 13, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Death of Popular Rare Gorilla Could Be Devastating for Others
Gorilla group left behind after Rafiki allegedly killed by poacher in Uganda may be left 'unstable'
- About half of the world's mountain gorillas can be found in Uganda's Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. That number has just fallen by one, after local wildlife authorities say a male gorilla popular with tourists was killed by a poacher, per Reuters and the BBC . The Uganda Wildlife Authority...
Family Skirmish Ends
Poorly for Baby Gorilla
May 25, 2020 8:54 AM CDT
Family Skirmish Ends Poorly for Baby Gorilla
Kitoko undergoes neurosurgery after he's apparently accidentally bitten by family member
- A baby gorilla was badly injured at a Seattle zoo on Saturday when he was caught in a skirmish between his family group. Animal health experts at the Woodland Park Zoo say little Kitoko was bitten on the head, likely by accident when another gorilla tried to bite his mother,...
Rare Mountain Gorillas
Feb 9, 2020 6:50 AM CST
Lightning Strikes Rare Mountain Gorillas
4 dead in Uganda in 'big loss for species'
- There are about 1,000 mountain gorillas left on planet Earth, and there are four fewer after a lightning strike felled the rare creatures in Uganda, reports the BBC . The three adult females, including a pregnant female, and infant male were discovered in Mgahinga National Park with "gross lesions"...
TSA Officers on Leave
Over Noose at Airport
Jul 31, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
TSA Officers on Leave Over Noose at Airport
Racist display was seen in restricted area of Miami International Airport
- Two TSA officers are on leave after a racist display featuring toy gorillas and a noose was discovered at Miami International Airport. The display (see it here ) was discovered July 21 in a baggage-screening area not accessible to the public, per CNN . A TSA employee tells the outlet that...
The 'Gorillas in the Mist'
May Be No More
May 29, 2019 1:32 PM CDT
The 'Gorillas in the Mist' May Be No More
Last of the gorillas observed by Dian Fossey believed dead
- The last of the original "gorillas in the mist," a troupe observed by primatologist Dian Fossey before her death in Rwanda more than 30 years ago, is believed to have died. Though the mountain gorilla population numbered 600 in 2016, up from some 240 in 1967, per CNN...
Explains This Selfie
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 28, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Park Ranger Explains This Selfie
Orphaned gorillas like to mimic humans, he says
- A park ranger in Congo has described how he captured a selfie with two gorillas that went viral. Mathieu Shamavu, a ranger at Virunga National Park in eastern Congo, says he was checking his phone when he noticed two female orphaned gorillas, Ndakazi and Ndeze, mimicking his movements, so he...
Dies at 46
Jun 21, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Koko, the Gorilla Who Knew Sign Language, Dies at 46
She captivated the world with her ability to communicate
- Koko, the beloved gorilla who captivated many with her ability to communicate through sign language, has died at age 46. The western lowland gorilla died in her sleep Tuesday morning, NPR reports. Born at the San Francisco Zoo on July 4 , 1971, Koko was chosen as an infant to work...
There Are More Gorillas
Than We Thought
Apr 26, 2018 4:59 PM CDT
There Are More Gorillas Than We Thought
But new study also finds bad news for western lowland gorillas
- Although still highly vulnerable, there are more western lowland gorillas than previously thought, a new study finds. Over a 10-year period, scientists scoured 72,000 square miles of western equatorial Africa on foot patrols studying nests and other clues, reports the
. Earlier estimates placed the gorilla population at 150,...
Diet of Captive Gorillas
Could Be Killing Them
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 11, 2018 6:57 AM CDT
Diet of Captive Gorillas Could Be Killing Them
Heart disease is rampant in zoo populations but nearly unheard of in wild
- In 1911, Madame Ningo, the first gorilla in North America, arrived at the Bronx Zoo, where she was fed hot, meat-centric meals from a nearby restaurant. Being an herbivore, Madame Ningo refused to eat and was dead within two weeks. A century later, the ways zoos feed gorillas may still...
Euthanized in Miami
Jan 19, 2017 2:21 PM CST
Harambe's Grandmother Euthanized in Miami
The gorilla was 49 years old
- Zoo Miami's matriarch gorilla, Josephine, who was grandmother to the internet-famous Harambe, has died, the AP reports. The zoo announced on social media that the 49-year-old ape was euthanized Wednesday morning, saying she had been suffering from several health issues that slowly incapacitated her. Josephine was born in the...
Oldest Gorilla Ever
Recorded Dies at 60
Jan 17, 2017 3:24 PM CST
Oldest Gorilla Ever Recorded Dies at 60
Colo 'touched the hearts of generations'
- On Monday, Colo the gorilla was seen by visitors to Ohio's Columbus Zoo toting around a baseball cap—a favorite item of hers, the AP reports. On Tuesday, the oldest gorilla ever recorded died in her sleep, less than a month after her 60th birthday. According to CNN , Colo,...
Escapes Zoo Pen,
Heads for Hooch
Oct 20, 2016 10:11 AM CDT
'Psycho' Gorilla Escapes Zoo Pen, Heads for Hooch
Kumbuka guzzled a gallon of nonalcoholic sugary syrup, but still
- David Field, director of the ZSL London Zoo, is trying to dismiss an animal escape earlier this month as "less dramatic than some would have you believe," as he writes in a blog post . But as the
reports, the security breach ended up with an evacuation, armed...
Sent to London Zoo
After Gorilla's Escape
Oct 14, 2016 1:00 AM CDT
Armed Police Sent to London Zoo After Gorilla's Escape
Kumbuka now 'grumbling' in captivity again
- Kumbuka the gorilla's story has a much happier ending than Harambe's . The silverback gorilla was recaptured within an hour of escaping his enclosure at the London Zoo Thursday night, and a keeper tells the BBC that he is "happy to report that he's up and grumbling,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.