Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Disney Says 32K Will
Lose Jobs by March
Nov 26, 2020 12:31 PM CST
Disney Says 32K Will Lose Jobs by March
Company announces another 4K layoffs
- More bad news from Disney: The company announced in a Thanksgiving Eve filing that it plans to lay off 32,000 workers by March of next year, 4,000 more than previously announced . Most of the laid-off workers will be employees at the company's theme parks in Florida and...
Japan Theme Parks
Can Reopen, But
Screaming Is Banned
May 28, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Japan Theme Parks Can Reopen, But Screaming Is Banned
Haunted house ghosts should maintain social distancing, according to new guidelines
- Riders may soon be able to enjoy the terrifying Takabashi ride at Japan's Fuji-Q Highland amusement park again—but they will be urged to wear masks and refrain from screaming during its 121-degree drop. The country's theme park operators have released new guidelines for reopening as Japan eases...
Plans to Reopen
May 27, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Here's How Disney World Plans to Reopen
It'll take six weeks and face coverings will be required
- The Walt Disney World Resort fully intends to open its parks this summer. Park officials on Wednesday proposed a plan to reopen Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom on July 11, followed by Epcot and Hollywood Studios on July 15, per WESH . Guests will be required to reserve park entry in...
What Disney May Need to
Do Once the Parks Reopen
Apr 8, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
What Disney May Need to Do Once the Parks Reopen
Executive Chair Bob Iger says it's possible temperature checks may be done for virus
- If you've ever been to a Disney theme park, you know the rigmarole you have to go through to get past the security gates. Soon there may be an additional step: having your temperature taken. In a Tuesday interview with
, Disney Executive Chair Bob Iger, who recently...
Jungle Cruise Boat
Sinks at Disney World
Feb 28, 2020 2:37 AM CST
Jungle Cruise Boat Sinks at Disney World
Theme park says all passengers were safely rescued
- Disney World describes the Jungle Cruise ride as a "journey you won't soon forget"—and that was especially true on Thursday, when one of the boats sank. Passengers, who stood on the seats as water slowly rose inside the boat, were safely rescued within about 20 minutes...
'Goebbels Would Approve':
German Ride Looks Like This
Aug 21, 2019 6:50 PM CDT
'Goebbels Would Approve': German Ride Looks Like This
Eagle's Flight was shut down by park management
- A ride at a German theme park was scuttled this week over objections it resembled flying swastikas, the
New York Times
reports. Called Eagle's Flight, the attraction had two sets of four cars, each joined at right angles, which some said resembled the infamous Nazi symbol. "First of...
One Minute the Wave Pool Was
Calm. Then, Screams of Terror
Aug 2, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
One Minute the Wave Pool Was Calm. Then, Screams of Terror
Officials say machine malfunction caused rogue wave at Chinese water park
- The worst that most people usually suffer after a long day at the water park is a bit of sunburn and exhaustion—not bloody knees and broken ribs. But as Fox News reports, government officials say those more serious injuries took place this week after malfunctioning equipment in a wave...
Ride Now a
May 26, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Diana's Fatal Ride Now a Theme Park Attraction
National Enquirer Live has some pretty macabre exhibits
- It's been more than two decades since Princess Diana died in a Paris car crash, but it still might be too soon for what the National Enquirer Live theme park has up its sleeve: The latest attraction for the venue in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., allows visitors to take in...
Are Getting Rid of
Mar 29, 2019 1:51 AM CDT
Disney Parks Are Getting Rid of Smoking Areas
Large strollers are also banned
- Disneyland may no longer be the "Happiest Place on Earth"—if you're a smoker. Disney Parks announced in a blog post Thursday that as of May 1, there will no longer be smoking areas "inside Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme parks, water parks, ESPN Wide...
Next Up From
Feb 6, 2019 2:49 PM CST
Next Up From Tyra Banks: ModelLand, the Theme Park
It's opening in Santa Monica this year
- Some theme parks have boardwalks; one coming to California will have catwalks. The attraction, set to debut at the Santa Monica Place open-air shopping mall later this year, will be called ModelLand , and it's the brainchild of Tyra Banks, herself a former supermodel and
America's Next Top Model
Proposal Didn't Get
in case you missed it
Oct 13, 2018 7:46 AM CDT
Guy's Disney Proposal Didn't Get Fairytale Ending
Marc Rubin claims employee started altercation that ended up getting him arrested, sues Disney
- A Long Island man thought July 8, 2015, was going to be "one of the most important" days of his life, but now he's suing Disney World for ruining it. Fox News reports on Marc Rubin's lawsuit, which the 57-year-old filed Sept. 27 in Florida's Orange...
Six Flags Offers Macabre
Challenge, With a $300 Prize
Sep 24, 2018 11:50 AM CDT
Six Flags Offers Macabre Challenge, With a $300 Prize
If you can tough it out in a coffin for 30 hours, your wallet could get a cash infusion
- If you've been dying to take a 30-hour nap in a coffin and wouldn't mind getting $300 at the end of your repose, Six Flags St. Louis has just the Halloween-themed happening for you. Per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
, that's how much the theme park is offering...
Park Director Indicted Over
Ride That Decapitated Boy
Mar 24, 2018 8:20 AM CDT
Park Director Indicted Over Ride That Decapitated Boy
Tyler Austin Miles turns himself in
- Last year, 10-year-old Caleb Schwab was decapitated riding a Kansas waterslide. Friday a grand jury indicted the company running the park and former director Tyler Austin Miles with involuntary manslaughter, saying they brazenly flouted safety rules and covered up previous accidents,
reports. Caleb's death "appeared at...
T-Rex Puts On
Mar 23, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
T-Rex Puts On Spectacular but Unintended Show
Giant animatronic dinosaur goes up in flames at theme park in Colorado
- The co-owner of a dinosaur-themed park in southern Colorado thinks an electrical malfunction caused a life-size animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex to burst into flames. Zach Reynolds says the T-Rex at the Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience in Canon City smoldered for about 10 minutes before it caught fire Thursday morning, per the...
At Theme Park, Eating
a Cricket Gets You in
Dec 17, 2017 9:00 AM CST
At Theme Park, Eating a Cricket Gets You in
If that sort of thing doesn't bug you, they come in 5 different flavors
- A Georgia theme park is offering guests a free ticket if they eat a cricket. The giveaway may bug some people, chortles the AP . But Wild Adventures Theme Park in Valdosta was giving away T-shirts and free admission Saturday to the first 100 guests to gobble up a roasted cricket....
Girl, 11, Dies
on Theme Park
May 10, 2017 4:46 AM CDT
Girl, 11, Dies on Theme Park Water Ride
Witnesses say she stood up on water ride
- Police in Britain are investigating the tragic death of an 11-year-old girl on a water ride at the Drayton Manor theme park. Officials at the park say the girl, who was on a school trip, was fatally injured when she fell from the Splash Canyon ride on Tuesday afternoon, CNN...
Ice Rink Blasted as 'Immoral'
Nov 28, 2016 8:06 AM CST
Japan's 'World-First' Ice Rink Blasted as 'Immoral'
Apparently not everyone likes the idea of skating on top of 5K dead fish
- A recently opened ice rink in Japan was advertised as a "world first"—only to subsequently be accused of being "immoral" and "weird" and having "no soul," CNN and the
report. The skating rink in the Space World theme park in Kitakyushu came...
2 Kids Had
'Miracle Escape' in
Theme Park Tragedy
Oct 26, 2016 4:31 AM CDT
2 Kids Had 'Miracle Escape' in Theme Park Tragedy
They're traumatized but physically unharmed
- Two Australian children are traumatized but alive after what authorities are calling a miraculous escape in Tuesday's theme park tragedy . The children, a 10-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl, both saw their mothers die on Thunder River Rapids ride at the Dreamworld park and escaped physically unharmed, the
4 Die in Horrific
Theme Park Accident
Oct 25, 2016 4:52 AM CDT
4 Die in Horrific Theme Park Accident
Victims were thrown from, trapped by ride at Australian park
- Police in Queensland, Australia, are investigating a horrific accident that left four people dead on a ride at a popular Gold Coast theme park. Two men and two women in their 30s and 40s died on the Thunder River Rapids ride at the Dreamworld park on Tuesday, with two people...
What Will Be the
Theme Park Opens
Jun 16, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
What Will Be the World's Most-Visited Theme Park Opens
Disney's Shanghai park is its first in mainland China
- Walt Disney Co. opened its Shanghai theme park Thursday, its first in mainland China, with a Chinese children's choir, Sleeping Beauty and other Disney characters, and speeches by Communist Party leaders. Vice Premier Wang Yang joined Disney CEO Bob Iger in cutting a red ribbon as the park opened,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.