Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Silent 'Standing Man'
Alters Turkey Protests
Jun 18, 2013 8:22 AM CDT
Silent 'Standing Man' Alters Turkey Protests
Performance artist takes stand after police raid, others follow his lead
- Turkish protesters said over the weekend they planned to hold their ground in Taksim Square, and one man is leading the way, the BBC reports. Performance artist Erdem Gunduz stood for eight hours in the square beginning at about 6pm yesterday, facing a portrait of Kemal Ataturk, who founded today'...
Police Clear Turkish Protesters
With Water Cannons, Tear Gas
Jun 15, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
Police Clear Turkish Protesters With Water Cannons, Tear Gas
Riot cops clear Taksim Square after warning from PM
- Riot police fired water cannons and tear gas as they drove protesters out of Istanbul's Taksim Square and neighboring Gezi Park today, an intervention that came shortly after the prime minister warned that security forces "know how to clear" the area. Within a half-hour, the police had emptied...
We're Not Going
Jun 15, 2013 6:36 AM CDT
Turkish Protesters: We're Not Going Anywhere
They reject government's park offer
- Yesterday, Turkey's government offered to stop pushing the redevelopment of Istanbul's Gezi Park until after a court ruling; today, protesters say that's not enough. They plan to hold their ground, they say, per the BBC : "We will continue our resistance in the face of any injustice...
Turkey to Protesters:
Here's Our Offer
Jun 14, 2013 7:20 AM CDT
Turkey to Protesters: Here's Our Offer
Government offers referendum on park, calls on protesters to exit
- Two weeks after protests began, Turkey's government has made the people an offer. Under the proposal, which came at 3am as part of a meeting in the prime minister's residence, officials say they wouldn't pursue any development of Gezi Park until after a court rules on the...
in 24 Hours
Jun 13, 2013 7:31 AM CDT
Turkey PM: We'll Boot 'Troublemakers' in 24 Hours
Erdogan is still talking tough, but offered a referendum
- Protesters have once again returned to Istanbul's Taksim Square, but they may not be there long: Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan today pledged to have police clear "troublemakers" from the area within 24 hours, the AP reports. It's the latest in a series of conflicting moves by...
Go Up in Smoke
(and Tear Gas)
Jun 12, 2013 8:35 AM CDT
Turkey Talks Go Up in Smoke (and Tear Gas)
Eerie calm descends on Istanbul square
- Protest leaders are bailing on today's planned meeting with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, after a violent day and night of clashes with police . Protest leaders tell CNN that they now believe negotiations would be "fruitless." They say all the people still meeting with Erdogan—including...
Protesters, Cops Poised
for Showdown in Turkey
Jun 11, 2013 6:25 PM CDT
Protesters, Cops Poised for Showdown in Turkey
Demonstrators return to Taksim Square, despite police show of force
- Protesters and Turkey's prime minister both refused to back down today in what could become the final battle for Istanbul's Taksim Square, the symbol of nationwide grievances against his government. Tens of thousands of protesters returned to the square in the evening, a show of defiance met with...
Police Storm Square at
Heart of Turkish Protests
Jun 11, 2013 5:30 AM CDT
Police Storm Square at Heart of Turkish Protests
Rubber bullets fired as cops move in on Istanbul protesters
- Hundreds of police in riot gear pushed past improvised barricades early today to reach Istanbul's central Taksim Square, firing tear gas and rubber bullets to scatter protesters who have occupied the area for more than a week. Many demonstrators fled into the square's Gezi Park, where hundreds have...
May Day Clash
Erupts at Banned
May 1, 2013 9:25 AM CDT
May Day Clash Erupts at Banned Istanbul Site
20 arrested, at least 4 injured, as capital's main hub closed off
- Violent clashes erupted between police and protesters in Istanbul today, when hundreds tried to breach barricades and reach the city's main square to mark May Day in defiance of a government ban. Some demonstrators hurled stones, gasoline bombs, and fireworks at riot police, who responded with tear gas as...
Popular on Newser
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
As Police Kicked and Beat Him, He Kept Yelling Out One Thing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.