Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 States Approve
2 States Reject It
Nov 9, 2022 2:15 AM CST
2 States Approve Legal Weed, 2 States Reject It
And results in a 5th state were not yet clear
- Legalizing recreational marijuana was on the ballot in five states in the midterm elections Tuesday. The AP projected early in the night that Maryland voted heavily in favor of legalization. "Tonight voters in Maryland made history by bringing the era of failed marijuana prohibition to an end," said...
to Be Pardoned
Oct 6, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Thousands Convicted of Pot Possession to Be Pardoned
Biden encourages states to do the same, attorney general to revisit federal law
- Everyone convicted on federal marijuana possession charges is in for a pardon, President Biden announced Thursday. "No one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana," Biden said. The administration said thousands of people will receive pardons, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Officials estimated that more...
It's Not a Happy 4/20
for Pot Investors
Apr 20, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
It's Not a Happy 4/20 for Pot Investors
Lack of progress in DC has crashed stock prices
- Today is the annual celebration of cannabis culture, but with legalization efforts stalled in Washington, DC, investors in cannabis companies don't have a lot to celebrate, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The value of many well-known marijuana stocks has dropped by more than 50%, and they could fall further...
Entrepreneur's Murder Shows
'Absurd' Side of Legal Pot
Apr 9, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Entrepreneur's Murder Shows 'Absurd' Side of Legal Pot
Tushar Atre was murdered for his cash, but his case is riddled with warning signs
- In Santa Cruz, known for its surf culture and "blissed-out natural settings," Tushar Atre was not a rare breed, Scott Eden writes for
The entrepreneur brought a track record of tech-industry success, a hard-edged management style, rich connections, and a pioneering vision for industrial-scale THC extraction. In...
Bill to Legalize
Apr 1, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
House Passes Bill to Legalize Marijuana
Backers say measure corrects a racial injustice
- The House approved legislation Friday to end all federal criminal penalties over the manufacture, distribution, or possession of marijuana. Speaker Nancy Pelosi told the House the measure rights injustices and is "one of the most important criminal justice reform bills in recent history." The legislation cleared 220-204 and...
Pandemic, Worker Shortage
Change Employee Drug Testing
Mar 31, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Pandemic, Worker Shortage Change Employee Drug Testing
Percentage of positive tests rises, but more employers aren't testing for THC
- Against a backdrop of changing marijuana laws and a worker shortage, more employees are testing positive for drug use. Quest Diagnostics, one of the largest testers, found that 3.9% of the 6 million urine tests it processed last year came back positive, up 50% from 2017. In that same...
Court: California Pot Law
Doesn't Extend to Inmates
Aug 12, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Court: California Pot Law Doesn't Extend to Inmates
Justices decide 5-2 that voters didn't intend to let prisoners have marijuana
- Prison inmates can't legally possess marijuana under California's law allowing recreational pot, the state Supreme Court ruled 5-2 Thursday in overturning a lower court that found prisoners could have the drug as long as they didn't consume it. The justices said the 2019 appellate court ruling allowing...
We May Not Need
Federal Marijuana Laws
Jun 29, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas: We May Not Need Federal Marijuana Laws
Because of the government's 'piecemeal approach'
- One of the Supreme Court's most conservative justices thinks we may be able to do away with federal weed laws. Clarence Thomas released a statement Monday in connection with the high court declining to hear an appeal from a Colorado pot dispensary looking to block the IRS from getting...
Becomes Legal in 19th State
Jun 22, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
Recreational Marijuana Becomes Legal in 19th State
Connecticut plans to address harm done by war on drugs
- Gov. Ned Lamont on Tuesday signed a bill making Connecticut the 19th state to legalize recreational use of marijuana, which remains an illegal drug under federal law. People age 21 and older will be allowed to possess and consume marijuana beginning on July 1 under the new law, which also...
Now That Pot
Will Be Legal Here,
a Surprise Forced
May 29, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Now That Pot Will Be Legal Here, a Surprise Forced Retirement
Drug-sniffing K9 units in Virginia are being 'put out to pasture earlier than planned'
- Asking dogs to follow their noses won't work anymore in states that have legalized marijuana. As Virginia prepares to legalize adult possession of up to an ounce of marijuana on July 1, drug-sniffing police dogs from around the state are being forced into early retirement, following a trend in...
New Inroads in the South
Apr 8, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Marijuana Makes New Inroads in the South
Virginia becomes first Southern state to legalize recreational use
- Virginia became the first Southern state to legalize marijuana Wednesday, as lawmakers voted to approve Gov. Ralph Northam’s proposed changes to a bill that will allow adults to possess and cultivate small amounts of the drug starting in July. Northam sent the bill back to lawmakers substantially changed from...
New York Becomes 3rd State
to Legalize Pot in This Fashion
Mar 31, 2021 12:22 PM CDT
New York Becomes 3rd State to Legalize Pot in This Fashion
Lawmakers approved the change
- New York has become the latest state to legalize recreational marijuana—and the third where the change was approved by lawmakers, not voters. Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a legalization bill Wednesday morning, calling it a "historic day," CNBC reports. The legislation was passed Tuesday evening by votes of...
New York on Track to
Legalize Recreational Pot
Mar 28, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
New York on Track to Legalize Recreational Pot
An agreement is expected to be signed into law soon
- New York is poised to join a growing number of states that have legalized marijuana after state lawmakers reached a deal to allow sales of the drug for recreational use, the AP reports. The agreement reached Saturday, which is expected to be signed into law in the coming days, would...
New York's Deal Sets Up
$4.2B Recreational Pot Market
Mar 25, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
New York's Deal Sets Up $4.2B Recreational Pot Market
Plan includes a social equity component to help people hurt by past practices
- New York lawmakers have reached an agreement with Gov. Andrew Cuomo that would make recreational marijuana legal in the state. Officials said the change should help eliminate a longtime inequity—Black and Hispanic people are arrested on minor marijuana charges much more often than white people are—while setting up...
1st Southern State Legalizes
Feb 28, 2021 8:21 AM CST
1st Southern State Legalizes Recreational Marijuana
Virginia joins a growing list
- Virginia has become the sixteenth state, and first in the South, to legalize marijuana. Per the AP , state lawmakers gave final approval Saturday to a bill that will legalize marijuana for adult recreational use. With a compromise bill clearing the House and Senate, Virginia joins 15 other states and the...
This Columbia Prof Has Used
Heroin, Regularly, for 5 Years
Feb 13, 2021 11:48 AM CST
This Columbia Prof Has Used Heroin, Regularly, for 5 Years
Carl Hart makes a scientific case in 'Drug Use for Grown-Ups'
- Carl Hart is a psychology professor at Columbia University, a well regarded researcher, and "an unapologetic drug user" who has been using heroin regularly for five years. So the 54-year-old reveals in
Drug Use for Grown-Ups
, which he released in January. Unapologetic is right. As the
Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Feb 8, 2021 10:05 AM CST
'Cultural Embarrassment:' Jamaica Running Low on Weed
Rain, drought, pandemic, legalization, fewer farmers all mean less ganja on the island
- Jamaica is running low on ganja. Heavy rains followed by an extended drought, an increase in local consumption, and a drop in the number of marijuana farmers have caused a shortage in the island's famed but largely illegal market that experts say is the worst they've seen. "...
House Makes Landmark
Move on Marijuana
Dec 4, 2020 2:18 PM CST
House Makes Landmark Move on Marijuana
Votes for first time to decriminalize, though it's not going anywhere in the Senate
- Reflecting changing attitudes among Americans, the House voted Friday to decriminalize marijuana. The measure, approved with support from both parties on a 228-164 vote, also would expunge nonviolent convictions related to marijuana offenses, the
New York Times
reports. And the drug would no longer be covered by the Controlled Substances...
Legal Weed Is a Go
in These 4 States
Nov 4, 2020 4:18 AM CST
Legal Weed Is a Go in These 4 States
NJ, Ariz., Mont., SD vote to legalize
- A New Jersey constitutional amendment to legalize cannabis won Tuesday, NJ.com reports. With nearly 60% of precincts reporting, more than 67% of ballots came back with a yes vote, as had been expected. "Legalization is the result of years of hard work from a diverse group of individuals...
May Be First
Nov 3, 2020 8:32 AM CST
One State May Be First to Decriminalize Hard Drugs
Oregon votes on measure, while 4 other states may legalize marijuana
- The march toward legal marijuana has a chance to move forward in four more states on Tuesday, while Oregon ponders a groundbreaking move on harder drugs. Details:
Oregon may become the first state to decriminalize hard drugs, reports the AP . Under the ballot measure, people caught with small
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
NY Couple Dies, Leaving SPCA Its Biggest Case Ever
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.