Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Grim Update From Indonesian
Navy on Missing Submarine
Apr 24, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Grim Update From Indonesian Navy on Missing Submarine
It appears there's no hope for survivors of KRI Nanggala after items from sub were found
- Indonesia's navy on Saturday said items were found from a missing submarine , indicating the vessel with 53 crew members had sunk and there was no hope of finding survivors. Navy chief Yudo Margono said rescuers found several items from the KRI Nanggala 402, which disappeared after its last reported...
Divers Find Reef
Covered in Masks
Mar 9, 2021 8:07 PM CST
Divers Find Reef Covered in Masks
Plastic pollution has worsened during pandemic, divers in the Philippines say
- The COVID-19 pandemic has worsened the plague of plastic in the world's oceans. Divers in the Philippines say that after returning to coral reefs when a national lockdown was lifted, they were dismayed to find more plastic in the sea than they had ever seen before, including numerous surgical...
Exhibit on Ocean
to Big Shock for
Feb 14, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Exhibit on Ocean Pollution Leads to Big Shock for One Woman
German woman spots mixtape she lost 25 years ago—and it still works
- If you're in your late 30s or older, you likely remember the unique joy that accompanied creating what we olds call a "mixtape." A German woman is now reliving that elation after she stumbled upon a mixtape she lost 25 years ago while on vacation in Spain....
All That Ocean Plastic?
It Has an Unexpected Source
Oct 1, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
All That Ocean Plastic? It Has an Unexpected Source
It doesn't all come from land-based sources
- In 1984, 2009, and 2018, researchers made the trek to Inaccessible Island, which sits between Argentina and South Africa in the South Atlantic. They describe it as a "remote, uninhabited island ... that has a very high macrodebris load"—and that debris is what they were there for. In...
Fresh Lead in Jet Search?
122 'Potential Objects'
Mar 26, 2014 7:58 AM CDT
Fresh Lead in Jet Search? 122 'Potential Objects'
They were spotted via satellite Sunday, but could just be sea junk
- The search for debris from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is facing a major obstacle in addition to bad weather: a sea full of garbage. The objects spotted in satellite images could be jet debris, but they could just as easily be some of the large quantities of the trash (think...
Alaska Coast Like a 'Landfill'
2 Years After Tsunami
in case you missed it
Feb 9, 2013 7:45 AM CST
Alaska Coast Like a 'Landfill' 2 Years After Tsunami
Hawaii, British Columbia not sitting much prettier
- We're about a month away from the two-year anniversary of the earthquake that spawned Japan's devastating tsunami . Saying its effects linger far from Japanese shores is an understatement, per some recent reports:
"You're basically standing in landfill out here," says the head of
May 22, 2012 4:36 AM CDT
Expedition Charts 'Plasticized' Pacific
'Synthetic soup' extends far into western Pacific
- An expedition charting the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" has been hauling out depressing amounts of plastic from the little-studied waters of the western North Pacific gyre. "We've been finding lots of micro plastics, all the size of a grain of rice or a small marble," the...
Popular on Newser
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.