Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amtrak to Passengers: 'We
Are Not Holding You Hostage'
Jan 11, 2023 10:15 AM CST
Amtrak to Passengers: 'We Are Not Holding You Hostage'
Train conductor actually had to say that after nightmare trip that stretched to 37 hours
- A train conductor had to tell some 500 passengers aboard a stranded Amtrak train that they weren't being held hostage as what should have been a 17-hour trip stretched beyond 29 hours. Some passengers began calling police in frustration given what Insider describes as a "nightmare" trip, which...
Check Out the World's
Longest Passenger Train
Oct 31, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Check Out the World's Longest Passenger Train
1.2-mile-long train run by Switzerland's Rhaetian Railway took 8 months to prep
- A Swiss railway company claimed the record for the world's longest passenger train over the weekend with a trip on one of the most spectacular tracks through the Alps. The Rhaetian Railway company ran the 1.2-mile-long train composed of 100 coaches along the Albula/Bernina route from Preda to...
Injured Hiker Spotted by
Sharp-Eyed Train Passenger
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Injured Hiker Spotted by Sharp-Eyed Train Passenger
Hiker crawled to riverbank to flag down passing train, triggering helicopter rescue in Colorado
- A hiker who spent a night stranded in the Colorado wilderness with a broken leg made it out alive after managing to flag down a passing train. The female hiker in her 20s had been reported missing Sunday after failing to return from a day hike on the Colorado Trail...
More Than 150
After Train Attack
Apr 4, 2022 4:29 PM CDT
More Than 150 Unaccounted for After Train Attack
Authorities say some are being held for ransom after Nigeria attack
- At least 168 people are unaccounted for after a deadly attack on a train in northwest Nigeria, authorities say. The Nigerian Railway Corporation said Sunday that cell phones of more than 140 passengers from the Abuja-Kaduna train have been switched off or are ringing without being answered since the attack...
Train Driver Sues for $20K
After Wages Cut by 49 Cents
Nov 11, 2021 8:57 AM CST
Train Driver Sues for $20K After Wages Cut by 49 Cents
Japanese firm docked his pay after he caused train to arrive at depot 1 minute late
- After a train driver in Japan caused a one-minute delay in June 2020, he had 55 cents deducted from his wages, which was reduced to 49 cents after he took the matter to a government office that deals with labor disputes. He has now upped the stakes by filing a...
3 'Severely Injured' By Knife
Attacker on German Train
Nov 6, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
3 'Severely Injured' By Knife Attacker on German Train
Police say motive is unclear
- A knife attack on a high-speed train in Germany left three people severely wounded, the Bavarian Red Cross said Saturday. One man has been arrested in connection with the morning attack at the train station in Seubersdorf, police said. Police said multiple people were wounded but were unable to provide...
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape
Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Oct 22, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Cops had said passengers on SEPTA train near Philly recorded assault instead of intervening
- The story of a horrific rape last week aboard a SEPTA train on the outskirts of Philly seemed to get even worse when cops revealed that bystanders sat by and did nothing to help, instead holding up their phones to record the incident. Now, Delaware County's chief prosecutor says...
Canadian Luxury Train
Launches New US Route
Aug 16, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
Canadian Luxury Train Launches New US Route
Rocky Mountaineer now travels from Denver to Moab
- A new train service has arrived in the West but it's definitely not one for ordinary commuters—one-way tickets on the Rocky Mountaineer are $1,250 per person in SilverLeaf class and $1,645 in SilverLeaf Plus. The luxury service from the renowned Canadian company made its maiden voyage...
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed
on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
Apr 2, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
At least 100 hurt in Taiwan's deadliest rail disaster
- A train partially derailed in eastern Taiwan on Friday after being hit by an unmanned vehicle that had rolled down a hill, killing 48 people. With the train still partly in a tunnel, survivors climbed out of windows and walked along the train's roof to reach safety after the...
Father of Marine Pushed Into
Moving Train: 'Just Too Much'
Apr 14, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Father of Marine Pushed Into Moving Train: 'Just Too Much'
18-year-old Chicago man charged with murder of veteran Mamadou Balde
- A Chicago man is charged with murdering a Marine veteran, whom he allegedly shoved into the path of a moving train. Ryan Munn, 18, and another unidentified man approached Mamadou Balde, 29, on a Chicago Transit Authority train platform around 5pm on April 7, according to a document from the...
More Than 70 Killed in Fire
Caused by Stove on Train
Oct 31, 2019 12:06 AM CDT
More Than 70 Killed in Fire Caused by Stove on Train
Passengers in Pakistan jumped to their deaths
- A massive fire caused by a cooking gas stove erupted on Thursday on a train traveling in Pakistan's eastern Punjab province, killing at least 71 passengers, officials say. Flames roared through the train cars as the train approached the town of Liaquatpur in Punjab, they said, the latest tragedy...
Drunk Passenger Demands
High-Speed Train Slow Down
Mar 18, 2019 12:28 AM CDT
Drunk Passenger Demands High-Speed Train Slow Down
German man said he had to 'save the passengers'
- German police say a drunken man with a fire extinguisher smashed his way into the driver's cab of a high-speed train running from Frankfurt to Paris and demanded that the driver slow down. Federal police said the ICE train operated by Germany's Deutsche Bahn stopped near Frankfurt after...
After a Day and a Half Stuck on
Train, Passengers Disembark
Feb 26, 2019 2:54 PM CST
After a Day and a Half Stuck on Train, Passengers Disembark
Amtrak train pulled back to Eugene, Oregon, train station
- The 183 passengers stuck aboard Amtrak Coast Starlight Train 11 were finally able to exit the train Tuesday morning after a tedious 36+ hours. The Seattle-to-Los Angeles train was blocked by downed trees on the tracks in a remote part of Oregon Sunday night; the area had been hit with...
These Amtrak Passengers Are
Having a Really Bad Journey
Feb 26, 2019 6:03 AM CST
These Amtrak Passengers Are Having a Really Bad Journey
Train in remote Oregon hit a tree Sunday, and they may be there until Tuesday
- Nearly 200 people aboard an Amtrak train now have everyone else beat when it comes to tales about travel nightmares. Their train hit a downed tree in remote Oregon on Sunday evening, and all aboard—183 passengers, plus the crew—will likely be stuck there until Tuesday morning, reports the...
NYC Subway Train
Drags Man to His Death
Feb 20, 2019 10:05 AM CST
NYC Subway Train Drags Man to His Death
39-year-old got caught on moving train at Grand Central
- Commuters packed onto a subway platform at New York City's Grand Central Terminal witnessed a horrifying scene Tuesday as a man was snagged by a moving train and dragged into a tunnel. The unidentified 39-year-old was walking on the yellow caution line on the edge of the platform around...
Cops: Girl Told
by Mom to 'Hurry'
Under Train Dies
Dec 19, 2018 7:27 AM CST
Cops: Girl Told by Mom to 'Hurry' Under Train Dies
'Worst thing I've ever seen in my life,' witness says of 8-year-old killed in Fresno, Calif.
- Joy Frances Collins didn't want to miss her bus home, so the California mom asked her children to do something they'd done many times before, police say—and now her young daughter is dead. Per Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer, Collins, her 9-year-old son, and 8-year-old Joyanna (spelled...
Presidential Funeral Train
Is First in Nearly 50 Years
Dec 6, 2018 1:46 AM CST
Presidential Funeral Train Is First in Nearly 50 Years
It'll make a roughly 70-mile journey
- The locomotive was painted to resemble Air Force One, but George HW Bush joked that if it had been around during his presidency, he may have preferred to ride the rails rather than take to the skies. "I might have left Air Force One behind," Bush quipped during...
Runaway Train Dramatically
Derails After 57 Miles
Nov 6, 2018 2:10 AM CST
Runaway Train Dramatically Derails After 57 Miles
Aussie freight train rolled away after driver got out to inspect an issue
- The driver of a freight train in Western Australia got out to inspect an issue with one of its 268 wagons early Monday—and it kept going without him. The train, loaded with iron ore, hurtled across 57 miles of the remote Pilbara region before it was deliberately derailed from...
Train Mows Down Crowd,
Killing at Least 60
Oct 20, 2018 11:45 AM CDT
Train Mows Down Crowd, Killing at Least 60
People were watching fireworks at a festival in northern India
- A speeding train ran over a crowd watching fireworks during a religious festival in northern India on Friday evening, killing at least 60 people and injuring dozens more, police said. The train failed to stop after the accident on the outskirts of Amritsar, a city in Punjab state, according to...
'Slob' Mocked for
Shaving on Train:
'My Life Is All
Sep 18, 2018 8:43 AM CDT
'Slob' Mocked for Shaving on Train: 'My Life Is All Screwed Up'
Anthony Torres, caught in viral video, says he was trying to clean up after stay in a homeless shelter
- A man mocked online after being recorded shaving at his seat on a NYC commuter train says he was just trying to clean up after days in a homeless shelter. Anthony Torres, 56, tells the AP that people judging him on social media don't appreciate his struggles. "My...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.