Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Privately Owned Rail Line
Begins Key Test in Florida
Sep 21, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Privately Owned Rail Line Begins Key Test in Florida
Brightline launching high-speed service between Miami and Orlando
- The first big test of whether a privately owned high-speed passenger train service can prosper in the United States will launch Friday when Florida's Brightline begins running trains between Miami and Orlando that reach speeds of 125mph. It's a $5 billion bet that Brightline's owner, Fortress Investment...
Kim Jong Un Has an
Way to Travel
Sep 12, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Has an Unusual Preferred Way to Travel
North Korean leader's green and yellow train is well protected, but slow as a result
- As Kim Jung Un arrived in Russia on Tuesday for his first known trip outside North Korea in more than four years, all eyes were on Vladivostok's train station, rather than its airport. Kim arrived in Vladivostok on a "bulletproof" train that is both heavy and slow, with...
Dozens Dead, Hundreds
Trapped as Indian Trains Derail
Jun 2, 2023 2:36 PM CDT
Dozens Dead, Hundreds Trapped as Indian Trains Derail
Accident happened in Odisha state
- Two passenger trains derailed in India on Friday, killing at least 50 people and trapping hundreds of others inside more than a dozen damaged coaches, officials said. About 400 people were injured and taken to hospitals after the accident, which happened nearly 1,000 miles northwest of the capital of...
Another Train Flies Off the
Tracks in Fiery Accident
Mar 30, 2023 8:07 AM CDT
Another Train Flies Off the Tracks in Fiery Accident
BNSF train carrying ethanol, corn syrup derails in Raymond, Minnesota; local homes evacuated
- A train hauling ethanol and corn syrup derailed and caught fire in Minnesota early Thursday, and nearby residents were ordered to evacuate their homes, authorities said. The AP reports that a BNSF train derailed in the town of Raymond, roughly 100 miles west of Minneapolis, at about 1am, according to...
Report: Workers on Derailed
Train Thought It Was Too Big
Feb 16, 2023 6:41 AM CST
Report: Workers on Derailed Train Thought It Was Too Big
'If nothing changes, it will happen again,' says rep for one of the Norfolk Southern workers unions
- The chemical-laden freight train that derailed in East Palestine, Ohio, on Feb. 3 was a rather large one: more than 150 cars, stretching for 9,300 feet and weighing 18,000 tons. Now, Norfolk Southern workers are saying they were concerned before the accident about the train's size, and...
Amtrak to Passengers: 'We
Are Not Holding You Hostage'
Jan 11, 2023 10:15 AM CST
Amtrak to Passengers: 'We Are Not Holding You Hostage'
Train conductor actually had to say that after nightmare trip that stretched to 37 hours
- A train conductor had to tell some 500 passengers aboard a stranded Amtrak train that they weren't being held hostage as what should have been a 17-hour trip stretched beyond 29 hours. Some passengers began calling police in frustration given what Insider describes as a "nightmare" trip, which...
Check Out the World's
Longest Passenger Train
Oct 31, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Check Out the World's Longest Passenger Train
1.2-mile-long train run by Switzerland's Rhaetian Railway took 8 months to prep
- A Swiss railway company claimed the record for the world's longest passenger train over the weekend with a trip on one of the most spectacular tracks through the Alps. The Rhaetian Railway company ran the 1.2-mile-long train composed of 100 coaches along the Albula/Bernina route from Preda to...
Injured Hiker Spotted by
Sharp-Eyed Train Passenger
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Injured Hiker Spotted by Sharp-Eyed Train Passenger
Hiker crawled to riverbank to flag down passing train, triggering helicopter rescue in Colorado
- A hiker who spent a night stranded in the Colorado wilderness with a broken leg made it out alive after managing to flag down a passing train. The female hiker in her 20s had been reported missing Sunday after failing to return from a day hike on the Colorado Trail...
More Than 150
After Train Attack
Apr 4, 2022 4:29 PM CDT
More Than 150 Unaccounted for After Train Attack
Authorities say some are being held for ransom after Nigeria attack
- At least 168 people are unaccounted for after a deadly attack on a train in northwest Nigeria, authorities say. The Nigerian Railway Corporation said Sunday that cell phones of more than 140 passengers from the Abuja-Kaduna train have been switched off or are ringing without being answered since the attack...
Train Driver Sues for $20K
After Wages Cut by 49 Cents
Nov 11, 2021 8:57 AM CST
Train Driver Sues for $20K After Wages Cut by 49 Cents
Japanese firm docked his pay after he caused train to arrive at depot 1 minute late
- After a train driver in Japan caused a one-minute delay in June 2020, he had 55 cents deducted from his wages, which was reduced to 49 cents after he took the matter to a government office that deals with labor disputes. He has now upped the stakes by filing a...
3 'Severely Injured' By Knife
Attacker on German Train
Nov 6, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
3 'Severely Injured' By Knife Attacker on German Train
Police say motive is unclear
- A knife attack on a high-speed train in Germany left three people severely wounded, the Bavarian Red Cross said Saturday. One man has been arrested in connection with the morning attack at the train station in Seubersdorf, police said. Police said multiple people were wounded but were unable to provide...
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape
Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Oct 22, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
DA Pushes Back on Train Rape Narrative: 'Simply Not True'
Cops had said passengers on SEPTA train near Philly recorded assault instead of intervening
- The story of a horrific rape last week aboard a SEPTA train on the outskirts of Philly seemed to get even worse when cops revealed that bystanders sat by and did nothing to help, instead holding up their phones to record the incident. Now, Delaware County's chief prosecutor says...
Canadian Luxury Train
Launches New US Route
Aug 16, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
Canadian Luxury Train Launches New US Route
Rocky Mountaineer now travels from Denver to Moab
- A new train service has arrived in the West but it's definitely not one for ordinary commuters—one-way tickets on the Rocky Mountaineer are $1,250 per person in SilverLeaf class and $1,645 in SilverLeaf Plus. The luxury service from the renowned Canadian company made its maiden voyage...
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed
on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
Apr 2, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
At least 100 hurt in Taiwan's deadliest rail disaster
- A train partially derailed in eastern Taiwan on Friday after being hit by an unmanned vehicle that had rolled down a hill, killing 48 people. With the train still partly in a tunnel, survivors climbed out of windows and walked along the train's roof to reach safety after the...
Father of Marine Pushed Into
Moving Train: 'Just Too Much'
Apr 14, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Father of Marine Pushed Into Moving Train: 'Just Too Much'
18-year-old Chicago man charged with murder of veteran Mamadou Balde
- A Chicago man is charged with murdering a Marine veteran, whom he allegedly shoved into the path of a moving train. Ryan Munn, 18, and another unidentified man approached Mamadou Balde, 29, on a Chicago Transit Authority train platform around 5pm on April 7, according to a document from the...
More Than 70 Killed in Fire
Caused by Stove on Train
Oct 31, 2019 12:06 AM CDT
More Than 70 Killed in Fire Caused by Stove on Train
Passengers in Pakistan jumped to their deaths
- A massive fire caused by a cooking gas stove erupted on Thursday on a train traveling in Pakistan's eastern Punjab province, killing at least 71 passengers, officials say. Flames roared through the train cars as the train approached the town of Liaquatpur in Punjab, they said, the latest tragedy...
Drunk Passenger Demands
High-Speed Train Slow Down
Mar 18, 2019 12:28 AM CDT
Drunk Passenger Demands High-Speed Train Slow Down
German man said he had to 'save the passengers'
- German police say a drunken man with a fire extinguisher smashed his way into the driver's cab of a high-speed train running from Frankfurt to Paris and demanded that the driver slow down. Federal police said the ICE train operated by Germany's Deutsche Bahn stopped near Frankfurt after...
After a Day and a Half Stuck on
Train, Passengers Disembark
Feb 26, 2019 2:54 PM CST
After a Day and a Half Stuck on Train, Passengers Disembark
Amtrak train pulled back to Eugene, Oregon, train station
- The 183 passengers stuck aboard Amtrak Coast Starlight Train 11 were finally able to exit the train Tuesday morning after a tedious 36+ hours. The Seattle-to-Los Angeles train was blocked by downed trees on the tracks in a remote part of Oregon Sunday night; the area had been hit with...
These Amtrak Passengers Are
Having a Really Bad Journey
Feb 26, 2019 6:03 AM CST
These Amtrak Passengers Are Having a Really Bad Journey
Train in remote Oregon hit a tree Sunday, and they may be there until Tuesday
- Nearly 200 people aboard an Amtrak train now have everyone else beat when it comes to tales about travel nightmares. Their train hit a downed tree in remote Oregon on Sunday evening, and all aboard—183 passengers, plus the crew—will likely be stuck there until Tuesday morning, reports the...
NYC Subway Train
Drags Man to His Death
Feb 20, 2019 10:05 AM CST
NYC Subway Train Drags Man to His Death
39-year-old got caught on moving train at Grand Central
- Commuters packed onto a subway platform at New York City's Grand Central Terminal witnessed a horrifying scene Tuesday as a man was snagged by a moving train and dragged into a tunnel. The unidentified 39-year-old was walking on the yellow caution line on the edge of the platform around...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.