Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Egypt, an
Jan 26, 2023 1:03 PM CST
In Egypt, an 'Increasingly Rare' Find
First complete papyrus to be found in a century will be displayed at Cairo's new museum
- From one of 250 wooden sarcophagi uncovered last year at Egypt's famed necropolis of Saqqara comes the first complete papyrus scroll discovered in a century. And it's a long one. The scroll containing sections of the Book of the Dead stretches 52 feet long, per Live Science . The...
An Ancient Promenade
Comes to Life in Egypt
Nov 26, 2021 6:40 AM CST
An Ancient Promenade Comes to Life in Egypt
'Avenue of the Sphinxes' is unveiled after 50-year effort
- Egyptian authorities on Thursday unveiled a renovated ancient promenade in the city of Luxor dating back 3,000 years, the latest government project undertaken to highlight the country’s archaeological treasures. The ancient walkway—known as the Avenue of the Sphinxes, but also dubbed the Way of the Rams and...
Sep 14, 2021 12:18 PM CDT
Egypt Opens King Djoser's Southern Tomb
It's been undergoing restoration work since 2006
- Egypt on Tuesday opened to the public an ancient tomb structure belonging to the cemetery complex of King Djoser, a pharaoh who lived more than 4,500 years ago, following extensive restorations of the site. The structure—known as the Southern Tomb—is largely underground and includes a labyrinth of...
They Found 13 Ancient Coffins
in One Well. Then, 14 More
Sep 22, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
They Found 13 Ancient Coffins in One Well. Then, 14 More
Archaeologists unearth 2,500-year-old sarcophagi near Egypt's Step Pyramid of Djoser
- Egyptian archaeologists have unearthed more than two dozen ancient coffins in a vast necropolis south of Cairo, an official said Monday. The sarcophagi have remained unopened since they were buried more than 2,500 years ago near the famed Step Pyramid of Djoser in Saqqara, says Neveine el-Arif, a spokeswoman...
Aug 3, 2020 3:33 AM CDT
Egypt Sets Elon Musk Straight About Pyramids, Aliens
Tesla founder claimed aliens built the pyramids
- After Elon Musk tweeted last week that "Aliens built the pyramids obv," Egypt has officially set him straight. "I follow your work with a lot of admiration. I invite you & Space X to explore the writings about how the pyramids were built and also to check...
16 Hours, 27.4K
Rolls of TP,
and a Possible
Jan 14, 2020 8:49 AM CST
16 Hours, 27.4K Rolls of TP, and a Possible World Record
Michigan high school's robotics team hopes Guinness OKs world's tallest toilet paper pyramid
- When Maxton Herst was a freshman at Michigan's Bullock Creek High School, he left YouTube on autoplay one day, and one of the videos that popped up showed something that piqued his interest: the world's tallest toilet-paper pyramid. Per MLive.com , he brought up the idea with fellow...
Egypt Opens Its
'Unusual' Bent Pyramid
Jul 14, 2019 8:13 AM CDT
Egypt Opens Its 'Unusual' Bent Pyramid
Pair of its most ancient pyramids open to public for the first time since the 1960s
- Egypt on Saturday opened two of its oldest pyramids, located about 25 miles south of the capital Cairo, to visitors for the first time since 1965. Antiquities Minister Khaled el-Anany told reporters that tourists are now allowed to visit the Bent Pyramid and its satellite pyramid in the Dahshur royal...
2-Year Streak of
Tourists Safe in
Egypt Has Ended
Dec 28, 2018 1:13 PM CST
2-Year Streak of Tourists Safe in Egypt Has Ended
Roadside bomb hits tour bus near Giza pyramids, killing 2 and injuring 12
- A roadside bomb hit a tourist bus on Friday in an area near the Giza pyramids, killing two Vietnamese tourists and wounding 12 other people, Egypt's Interior Ministry said in a statement. It said the bus was traveling in the Marioutiyah area near the pyramids when the crude roadside...
Still Mad About Pyramid
Climb, Egypt Arrests 2
Dec 14, 2018 1:56 PM CST
Still Mad About Pyramid Climb, Egypt Arrests 2
But it's not the 2 who were in the nude photo shoot at the top of Giza's famous landmark
- Egyptian authorities weren't happy last week when a viral video seemed to show a couple getting busy atop the Great Pyramid of Giza. They're still not happy this week, and they're making arrests to express their continued displeasure. The
and Egypt Today report that two people...
Viral Vid Seems to
Getting Busy Atop
Dec 8, 2018 9:15 AM CST
Viral Vid Seems to Show Couple Getting Busy Atop Great Pyramid
Egyptian authorities aren't happy
- It's one of the Seven Wonders of the World, but some aren't filled with wonder at a video that appears to show a salacious undertaking at the landmark. CNN reports that three minutes of nighttime footage , originally uploaded Wednesday by Danish photographer Andreas Hvid, have been making the...
Hidden Chamber, Tunnel
Beneath Mexican Pyramid
Oct 30, 2018 11:53 AM CDT
Hidden Chamber, Tunnel Beneath Mexican Pyramid
It might have been used for funerals beneath Pyramid of the Moon
- There's more than a tunnel hidden beneath Mexico's second largest pyramid. A survey using electrical resistance technology has not only confirmed the existence of a tunnel running out the southern end of the Teotihuacan's 140-foot-tall Pyramid of the Moon, but also uncovered a chamber connected to it,...
A Rod, a Shadow,
and a Theory for
Feb 20, 2018 9:30 AM CST
A Rod, a Shadow, and a Theory for Egypt's Almost- Perfect Pyramids
Archaeologist thinks it could be tied to the fall equinox
- Scientists have long puzzled over how the ancient Egyptians built the Great Pyramid of Giza (aka the Pyramid of Khufu) with such "extreme precision," per Live Science . This Wonder of the World is lined up with the compass points "with an accuracy of better than four minutes...
First Major Find in
Great Pyramid Since
Nov 2, 2017 8:30 AM CDT
First Major Find in Great Pyramid Since 19th Century
It's a huge cavity, and it's raising a lot of questions
- It's not every day that what is essentially nothingness would be major news, but today is that day: Scientists announced in
that after two years of study, they've identified a roughly 100-foot-long void in Egypt's Great Pyramid of Giza—built around 2500 BC, it's the...
Egypt Just Found
in case you missed it
Apr 8, 2017 10:21 AM CDT
Egypt Just Found Another Pyramid
Experts believe it's 3.7K years old
- An excavation team in Egypt has found what appears to be the interior of a buried pyramid dating back 3,700 years to the 13th dynasty. The antiquities ministry says that both a corridor and a block engraved with 10 lines of hieroglyphics are in good condition, reports the BBC...
Inside the Pyramid
Is a Pyramid.
Inside That Is
Nov 17, 2016 10:49 AM CST
Inside the Pyramid Is a Pyramid. Inside That Is Something More
Inside the Kukulkan pyramid are 2 smaller, older ones
- On the surface, the Kukulkan temple that sits among the ruins of Chichen Itza looks nothing like a Russian nesting doll, but it's essentially the pyramid equivalent, scientists say. They'd known for decades that the 100-foot-tall structure in Mexico's Yucatan state sits on top of a smaller,...
World's Largest Pyramid
Was Mistaken as a Mountain
Aug 20, 2016 10:28 AM CDT
World's Largest Pyramid Was Mistaken as a Mountain
It withstood even the lethal advances of Spanish conquistadors
- When Hernan Cortez and his Spanish army marched into Cholula in present-day Mexico nearly 500 years ago, they were greeted by a peaceful people prone to building pyramids instead of stockpiles of weapons. Those people and their pyramids fell, and fast, with 10% of the local population murdered in a...
One of World's
Stands a Bit Askew
Jun 21, 2016 6:50 AM CDT
One of World's Seven Wonders Stands a Bit Askew
Engineer speculates Egyptians plotted out pyramids on grid to achieve precision
- Scientists scanning and mapping the Giza pyramids say they've discovered that the Great Pyramid of Giza, the oldest of the world's Seven Wonders, is a bit lopsided. And really, just a bit. The pyramid's exact size has stumped experts for centuries, as the "more than 21...
Carson Alone in
Nov 6, 2015 10:25 AM CST
Carson Alone in His Unusual Pyramid Belief
'This is not an academic topic of debate,' says biblical archaeologist
- Ben Carson on Thursday stood by his belief that Egypt's great pyramids were built by the biblical figure Joseph to store grain, an assertion dismissed by experts who say it's accepted science they were tombs for pharaohs. Video posted online Wednesday by BuzzFeed News shows Carson explaining his...
The Acropolis Is
Oct 2, 2014 10:28 AM CDT
The Acropolis Is Falling Apart
And Egypt's oldest pyramid is in trouble, too: activists
- Greece's famous Parthenon could be in danger of coming down 2,500 years after it was put up at the height of the Athenian Empire. Archaeologists have discovered "instability over quite a wide area" of the Acropolis, the flat-topped rock that holds the weight of the ancient structure,...
Discovered: Secret of
May 1, 2014 8:40 AM CDT
Discovered: Secret of Pyramids' Construction
In a word, water
- When you picture Egypt's pyramids rising over the country's sands, your vision likely doesn't include water. It should, according to a new study published online Tuesday. University of Amsterdam researchers found that ancient Egyptians employed what Phys.org calls a "clever trick" to facilitate the pyramids'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Woman Swept Into Ocean From Popular Washington Beach
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.