Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Catholic Church sex scandals
Stories 1 - 20 |
Confederate Statues Aren't the
Only Ones Coming Down
Sep 25, 2023 1:47 PM CDT
Confederate Statues Aren't the Only Ones Coming Down
Homage to late German cardinal comes down days after new sex-abuse allegations
- Confederate statues aren't the only ones being taken down: A statue of a deceased German cardinal was removed from its perch outside Essen Cathedral in western Germany on Monday, reports the AP , days after allegations of sexual abuse decades ago became public. The accusations against Cardinal Franz Hengsbach,...
Ex-Cardinal Accused of
Abuse Won't Stand Trial
Aug 30, 2023 3:56 PM CDT
Ex-Cardinal Accused of Abuse Won't Stand Trial
Theodore McCarrick, 93, has dementia
- The once-powerful Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodore McCarrick will not stand trial on charges he sexually assaulted a teenage boy decades ago, as a Massachusetts judge dismissed the case against the 93-year-old on Wednesday because both prosecutors and defense attorneys agree he suffers from dementia. McCarrick, the ex-archbishop of Washington, DC,...
State AG Releases Stunning
Report on Church Sex Abuse
May 24, 2023 12:10 AM CDT
State AG Releases Stunning Report on Church Sex Abuse
Report alleges 451 Catholic clergy in Illinois abused nearly 2K children from 1950 to 2019
- In 2018, a grand jury report was released in Pennsylvania naming 300-plus "predator priests" in the state accused of sexually abusing more than 1,000 children over a period of seven decades. Partly inspired by those revelations, then-Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan started a probe in her own state,...
Ex-Cardinal Charged With
Sex Abuse in Wisconsin
Apr 17, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Ex-Cardinal Charged With Sex Abuse in Wisconsin
Theodore McCarrick, 92, already faces abuse charge in Massachusetts
- The defrocked Roman Catholic cardinal who became the face of the church's clergy sex abuse crisis has been charged in Wisconsin with sexually assaulting an 18-year-old man more than 45 years ago, court records show. A criminal complaint filed Friday alleges that Theodore McCarrick, who was removed from the...
A Catholic First:
Cardinal Admits Abusing Minor
Nov 8, 2022 8:46 AM CST
A Catholic First: Cardinal Admits Abusing Minor
78-year-old Jean-Pierre Ricard says he abused 14-year-old girl in 1980s, steps down
- Jean-Pierre Ricard has become the first Catholic cardinal to publicly admit to abusing a minor, according to reports. The French cardinal said Monday that he "behaved in a reprehensible way with a young girl aged 14" as a priest in the archdiocese of Marseille in the 1980s and "...
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting
on Priest Accused of Abuse
Jan 24, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting on Priest Accused of Abuse
Benedict had originally said he hadn't attended, blames discrepancy on 'editing' mistake
Pope Benedict XVI has repeatedly denied wrongdoing in the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal, but there's been a shift in at least one story. Per the Catholic News Agency and CNN , the pontiff had originally told investigators he hadn't attended a January 1980 meeting of archdiocesan...
Oct 5, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Report: French Catholic Church Showed 'Cruel Indifference'
Commission finds 330K children may have been sexually abused by clergy, laypeople since 1950
- A new report slams the Catholic Church for "cruel indifference," with clergy in France accused of sexually abusing an estimated 216,000 children since 1950. Jean-Marc Sauve, head of the inquiry commissioned by the French Catholic Church, says most of the victims over the past seven decades were...
for Church Sex
Jun 1, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
On Punishments for Church Sex Abuse, a 'Significant Rewrite'
Pope Francis signs off on first major update to penal sanctions since 1980s
- A slew of new rules on how to handle sexual abuse within the Catholic Church has received the official green light from Pope Francis, updating a penal system that's been in place for 40 years. The
calls it "the most significant rewrite of canon law" since...
Vatican Report: John Paul II
to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Nov 10, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Vatican Report: John Paul II to Blame for McCarrick's Rise
Probe into disgraced cardinal lets Pope Francis off the hook, blames other bishops, cardinals, popes
- A Vatican probe into ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has found that a series of bishops, cardinals, and even popes downplayed or dismissed reports he slept with seminarians, and determined that Pope Francis merely continued his predecessors' naive handling of the predator until a former altar boy alleged abuse. The Vatican took...
He Wrote Famous Hymns,
Is Accused of Sex Misconduct
Aug 10, 2020 1:47 PM CDT
He Wrote Famous Hymns, Is Accused of Sex Misconduct
Claims against David Haas, 63, date back 4 decades
- "There’s practically not a hymnal in existence that doesn’t include Haas songs," a Catholic theologian says of songs by composer David Haas. But the
New York Times
reports 10 of the 32 Roman Catholic archdioceses in the US have instructed their churches to no longer play...
Convicted of Sex Abuse
Is a Free Man
Apr 7, 2020 12:06 AM CDT
Highest-Ranking Catholic Convicted of Sex Abuse Is a Free Man
Cardinal George Pell cleared of child sex abuse, released from prison Tuesday
- Australia's highest court on Tuesday dismissed the convictions of the most senior Catholic found guilty of child sex crimes, the AP reports. Cardinal George Pell welcomed the news and said his trial had not been a referendum on the Catholic Church’s handling of the clergy sex abuse crisis....
AP Has Big Issues With
Church Sex-Offender List
Dec 28, 2019 4:30 PM CST
AP Has Big Issues With Church Sex-Offender List
Over 900 accused clergy members are missing
- Richard J. Poster served time for possessing child pornography, violated his probation by having contact with children, admitted masturbating near a church school, and in 2005 was put on a sex offender registry. And yet the former Catholic priest was only just this month added to a list of clergy...
Child Sex Convictions
Upheld for Former
Vatican No. 3
Aug 21, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Child Sex Convictions Upheld for Former Vatican No. 3
Pell to be stripped of Order of Australia honor
- An Australian appeals court by a 2-1 ruling Wednesday upheld convictions against Cardinal George Pell, the most senior Catholic to be found guilty of sexually abusing children . The Victoria state Court of Appeal rejected Pell's appeal of a unanimous jury verdict in December that he was guilty of molesting...
Ex-Cardinal's Letters Show
Grooming for Abuse: Experts
Aug 6, 2019 3:39 PM CDT
Ex-Cardinal's Letters Show Grooming for Abuse: Experts
Theodore McCarrick made young men feel special, they say
- At first glance, the handwritten postcards and letters look innocuous, even warm, sometimes signed "Uncle T." or "Your uncle, Father Ted." But taken in context, the correspondence penned by disgraced ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick to the young men he is accused of sexually abusing or harassing is...
Aug 4, 2019 10:17 AM CDT
Pope Comforts Priests Paying for Crimes of Others
Clergy has told him of outrage over sexual abuse, Francis says
- Pope Francis on Sunday sent a new letter to priests worldwide offering encouragement in light of the global sexual abuse scandal that has shaken the Roman Catholic Church. In a nearly 5,000-word letter sent on the feast day of St. John Vianney, patron of parish priests, the pope acknowledged...
Why Accused Priests Came
to This Michigan Building
Jul 29, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Why Accused Priests Came to This Michigan Building
AP looks at under-the-radar group Opus Bono Sacerdotii
- The visiting priests arrived discreetly, day and night. Stripped of their collars and cassocks, they went unnoticed in the tiny Midwestern town of Dryden, Mich., as they were escorted into a dingy warehouse across from an elementary school playground. They had been brought to town by a small nonprofit group...
to Pin Sex Abuse on
Apr 11, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
Benedict Emerges to Pin Sex Abuse on Sexual Revolution
He publishes a 6K-word letter 'to assist in this difficult hour'
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has emerged from the shadows with a new letter that assigns blame for the clergy abuse crisis. In a 6,000-word letter whose authenticity was confirmed by Benedict's personal secretary, Benedict begins by writing that his remarks are intended "to assist in this difficult...
In Significant Move,
Pope Defines the Term
Mar 29, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
In Significant Move, Pope Defines the Term 'Vulnerable Adults'
As part of new law requiring Vatican personnel, Holy See diplomats report abuse allegations
- Pope Francis on Friday issued sweeping new sex abuse legislation for Vatican personnel and Holy See diplomats that requires the immediate reporting of abuse allegations to Vatican prosecutors, a policy shift aimed at being a model for the Catholic Church worldwide. The mandatory reporting provision, while limited in scope, marks...
West Virginia to
Diocese: You 'Knowingly
Mar 19, 2019 1:29 PM CDT
West Virginia to Diocese: You 'Knowingly Employed Pedophiles'
State files suit against diocese, bishop
- Parents entrusted their children to West Virginia's Wheeling-Charleston Diocese schools and camps—not knowing who their children were potentially being exposed to. The West Virginia attorney general has filed a lawsuit against the diocese accusing it of not conducting adequate background checks for its employees, including priests, and not...
Catholic Diocese Is Not
R. Kelly Joke
Mar 13, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
Catholic Diocese Is Not Amused by
R. Kelly Joke
Church demands NBC apologize for the skit
has landed itself in a little holy hot water: Catholic officials in New York City are demanding the show and NBC apologize after a skit compared the Church’s sex abuse scandals to allegations against R. Kelly. The Diocese of Brooklyn released a statement on Monday heavily criticizing the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.