Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
April 10 Is
Dec 26, 2013 5:28 PM CST
April 10 Is Nirvana Day
At least in Hoquiam, Washington
- Nirvana fans now have two choices of pilgrimage for April 10: They can trek to Cleveland to see surviving members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic as the band gets inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Or they can head to little Hoquiam, Washington, which has declared the...
Hall of Fame:
Dec 17, 2013 7:03 AM CST
Joining Rock Hall of Fame: Nirvana, Kiss, Peter Gabriel
Cat Stevens, Linda Ronstadt also enter
- Nirvana was nominated to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the band's first year of eligibility—and now its place has been cemented. Nirvana, along with Kiss, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, Linda Ronstadt, and Cat Stevens will join the Hall of Fame on April 10...
In 1st Year
Rock Hall Nod
Oct 16, 2013 9:53 AM CDT
In 1st Year of Eligibility, Nirvana Nabs Rock Hall Nod
Iconic band released 'Love Buzz' 25 years ago
- Nirvana is among the 16 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced today, and is the only act this year to be nominated in its first year of eligibility,
reports. In order to be eligible, musicians or bands need to have released their first record...
$30M for Sandy
Dec 13, 2012 7:45 AM CST
Stars Rock '12-12-12,' Raise $30M for Sandy
Springsteen, McCartney, Bon Jovi come together for storm relief
- Bruce Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi, Paul McCartney, and Kanye West were just a few of the music and screen legends who raised millions for Sandy relief last night. Appearing on TV, radio, the Web, and in movie theaters, the 12-12-12 concert had a potential audience of some 2 billion,
in for Cobain
Dec 12, 2012 10:46 AM CST
Nirvana Reunites, With McCartney in for Cobain
At tonight's 12-12-12 concert for Sandy relief
- The surviving members of Nirvana are reuniting at the 12-12-12 Hurricane Sandy relief concert tonight, the
reports. In the place of iconic frontman Kurt Cobain: One Paul McCartney, although he won't be singing any of Nirvana's well-known hits. Instead, he's been working on a new song...
Paul Ryan Cribbed
Oct 12, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
Conspiracy Theory: Paul Ryan Cribbed From Nirvana
That 'bean' story sounded familiar
- We're going to suggest taking this one with a shaker full of salt, but the Internet is buzzing with accusations that Paul Ryan stole the kinda-vaguely touching anecdote he told about his daughter during last night's debate from, of all people, Kurt Cobain. In response to a question...
Gave Up Rights
to Kurt's Image
May 4, 2012 1:41 AM CDT
Courtney Love Gave Up Rights to Kurt's Image for Cash
Publicity rights now in Frances' hands until mom repays $2.75M loan
- She lost custody of her daughter, Frances Bean in 2009, and in 2010 Courtney Love gave up custody of the name and likeness of Frances' father Kurt Cobain, according to court documents obtained by The Fix . The documents show that Love surrendered publicity rights for the Nirvana frontman in return...
How Adele Is Like
a Modern Kurt Cobain
Feb 21, 2012 1:54 PM CST
How Adele Is Like a Modern Kurt Cobain
He was 'authentic,' too, and it led to lame copycats: Mike Doherty
- There's no question that Adele is the reigning queen of pop music, and she's frequently hailed for her "authenticity"—much as Kurt Cobain was two decades ago. But that "early ‘90s fetishization of authenticity" led to a bunch of "dour, humorless copycats" who...
Nov 16, 2011 11:16 AM CST
Courtney Love Explains Weird Cobain Rant
Oh, and did we mention she went topless, too?
- Courtney Love had quite the night on Sunday, first ranting against a fan who held up a picture of Kurt Cobain before storming off stage, only to return and flash the audience. Afterward, she explained the diatribe (which you can watch in full in the gallery—it’s definitely NSFW),...
Jul 27, 2011 10:41 AM CDT
Apparently naked babies are not OK, even on album art
- Nirvana's artistic choices are apparently a little too risque for Facebook: The band's iconic 1991
Turns 20, Will
Hit Shelves Anew
Jun 23, 2011 10:50 AM CDT
Turns 20, Will Hit Shelves Anew
Seminal album sold 30M copies, will be re-released Sept. 19
turns 20 this September (yep, it has been 20 years and yes, you are old). So Universal thought it only right to celebrate the multi-platinum album by issuing a remastered version of it—as part of a massive set that includes four CDs and one DVD. The...
Sex on First
Date? Not for
Apr 16, 2011 4:10 PM CDT
Sex on First Date? Not for Coldplay Fans
Nirvana fans most likely to jump in the sack
- If your idea of a good first date involves a roll in the hay, you’re probably not a Coldplay fan. You might be into Nirvana, though, a survey finds. The dating site Tastebuds.fm polled users on their willingness to have sex on the first date and compared it...
Dec 14, 2009 5:11 PM CST
Courtney Love Loses Custody of Frances Bean
Kurt Cobain's daughter has new temporary guardians
- Troubled singer Courtney Love has lost legal control over her daughter, Frances Bean Cobain, and a California court has appointed the 17-year-old's paternal grandmother and aunt—Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain's mother and younger sister—her legal guardians. Wendy O'Connor and Kimberly Cobain have authority over the girl's education, health care,...
Guitar Hero 5
Image Illegally: Love
Sep 10, 2009 4:58 PM CDT
Guitar Hero 5
Uses Cobain's Image Illegally: Love
Nirvana frontman's widow threatens to sue Activision
- Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, says she plans to sue Activision for allegedly including the Nirvana frontman’s image in its
Guitar Hero 5
without permission, MTV reports. “For the record this Guitar Hero shit is breach of contract on a Bullys part and there will be a proper...
Jun 9, 2009 7:11 AM CDT
Cobain Play Hits London
- Teen spirit has hit a London stage in a play that involves the troubled life of rocker Kurt Cobain, reports the
features a struggling music critic, John, visited by Cobain's ghost. "Cobain appears as his alter ego: a success who couldn't deal with it, as...
The Worst Lyrics
of All Time
Jun 3, 2009 2:52 PM CDT
The Worst Lyrics of All Time
'I feel real phoney when my name is Bill... or was that Phil' and more
- Great music can inspire, but even the greats have thought up some atrocious lyrics. NME mines these gems:
"What else could I say? Everyone is gay." (Nirvana,
I met a girl. She asked me my name. I told her what it was."
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Sounds Like a Lullaby
May 28, 2009 6:39 AM CDT
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Sounds Like a Lullaby
Cobain 'Lullaby' Sending Tots to Slumber Land
- A new CD is lulling babies to sleep with the gentle sounds of Nirvana, AC/DC, and Queen, the
reports. The makers of
created lullaby renditions of hits like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" with xylophones, wood blocks, and glockenspiels. The CD—which also includes songs from Bob...
Courtney Love Knocks Jews
... in Jewish Magazine
Jan 16, 2009 3:03 PM CST
Courtney Love Knocks Jews ... in Jewish Magazine
Singer utters a few colorful words on girl bands, actors and parenting, too
- Courtney Love says she’s sober, but her recent anti-Semitic remarks in a Jewish magazine might give some observers pause, the
New York Post
reports. “Every time you buy a Nirvana record, part of that money is not going to Kurt’s child, or to me, it’s going...
Nov 11, 2008 5:14 PM CST
Baby Recreates Classic Cover
17 years later, Calif. teen hits same pool where he shot pic for Nirvana album
- Spencer Elden, instantly recognizable from a photo snapped 17 years ago for the cover of Nirvana’s seminal album Nevermind, got back into the same California pool recently to update the shot, Chris Vinnicombe reports for MusicRadar.com. “For reasons known only to himself,” and wearing a swimsuit,...
Artist to Smoke
Kurt Cobain's Ashes
Oct 1, 2008 2:34 PM CDT
Artist to Smoke Kurt Cobain's Ashes
Nirvana frontman's supposed remains, stolen from wife, will star in Berlin exhibition
- An Australian performance artist who claims to have obtained late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain’s ashes will smoke them at a Berlin exhibition,
reports. Artist Natascha Stellmach says the lighting up will symbolize Cobain’s ultimate freedom from the media. As to how she came by the remains, which...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.