Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
DA Sues Sacramento
Over 'Collapse Into Chaos'
Sep 19, 2023 4:47 PM CDT
DA Sues Sacramento Over 'Collapse Into Chaos'
He says city has failed to take action to get homeless people off the streets
- A Sacramento prosecutor is suing California's capital city over its failure to clean up homeless encampments. Sacramento District Attorney Thien Ho says his office asked the city to enforce laws around sidewalk obstruction and to create additional professionally operated camping sites. He announced the suit Tuesday during a news...
More People Than Ever
Are Living on the Street
Aug 19, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
More People Than Ever Are Living on the Street
A lack of affordable housing is resulting in a record spike in homelessness
- Back in 2019, the US homeless population jumped 2.7% from the previous year, the highest mark on record to date. This year, that mark will be obliterated, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Its investigation projects an increase of 11%. Based on a survey of data from groups that help...
Family Wants Answers After
Daughter Killed by Lawn Mower
Jul 20, 2023 3:36 PM CDT
Family Wants Answers After Daughter Killed by Lawn Mower
27-year-old woman was in overgrown area at Modesto, California park
- Relatives of Christine Chavez, a 27-year-old woman killed in an apparent lawn mower accident in Modesto, California, say the police investigation was so careless that parts of her remains were left at the scene and they kept finding more during daily vigils. "I went there and I still have...
Man Who Hosed Homeless
Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Jul 20, 2023 2:15 AM CDT
Man Who Hosed Homeless Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Collier Gwin says what he did was wrong, but officials need to do something about the city
- The San Francisco gallery owner who was recorded hosing down a homeless woman camped out on the sidewalk and later charged with battery over the incident is speaking out. In a piece at the
Wall Street Journal
, Collier Gwin admits he lost his temper and shouldn't have sprayed the...
Ex-Fire Commissioner Accused
of Attacking Homeless People
Apr 27, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Ex-Fire Commissioner Accused of Attacking Homeless People
San Francisco public defender: Don Carmignani may be behind as many as 8 attacks
- Earlier this month, Don Carmignani, San Francisco's ex-fire commissioner, was brutally attacked in the city's Marina District, with cellphone video showing him being beaten by another man wielding some sort of metal weapon. Garret Allen Doty, a 24-year-old homeless man, was arrested in the case and now faces...
Man Who Hosed
Jan 19, 2023 12:12 PM CST
Man Who Hosed Homeless Woman Is Charged
Collier Gwin has been charged with battery, could see up to 6 months in prison if convicted
- A San Francisco gallery owner filmed hosing down a homeless woman on the sidewalk has been charged. Collier Gwin of the Foster Gwin Gallery was arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery on Wednesday following an arrest warrant issued by San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins. "The alleged battery of...
SF Man Recorded
Turning Hose on
Jan 11, 2023 12:27 PM CST
SF Man Recorded Turning Hose on Homeless Woman
Collier Gwin could face assault charge
- A man filmed hosing down a homeless woman on the streets of San Francisco initially told KGO that he found it "hard to apologize." Indeed, he suggested to the
San Francisco Chronicle
that he'd do it again. A video of Monday's incident quickly went viral , with...
Her Fake Feel-Good Story
Just Went Even More South
Jan 7, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Her Fake Feel-Good Story Just Went Even More South
Katelyn McClure gets 3 more years in jail in case involving fake $400K fundraiser for homeless man
- A New Jersey woman who pleaded guilty to helping her boyfriend spread a feel-good story about a homeless veteran that garnered more than $400,000 in online donations has been sentenced to three years in prison on state theft charges. Burlington County prosecutors say Katelyn McClure, 32, wasn't present...
In Freezing Weather,
Worker Throws Water
on Homeless Woman
Dec 30, 2022 10:20 AM CST
In Freezing Weather, Worker Throws Water on Homeless Woman
Baton Rouge worker was fired from store, faces criminal charge
- A worker at a convenience store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was fired and charged with a misdemeanor after video emerged of her throwing a bucket of water on a homeless woman sitting outside the store on a freezing cold day. The video shows 33-year-old Kasey Weber shouting "move it"...
Escapes Potential Danger
Nov 18, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Quick-Thinking 10-Year-Old Escapes Potential Danger
Pennsylvania's Sammy Green, followed by stranger, asked store clerk to pose as mom
- A 10-year-old boy and 17-year-old girl in Pennsylvania are getting praise for quick thinking that thwarted a potentially dangerous situation. Sammy Green says he was walking home from school in Pottstown on Nov. 11 when he noticed a stranger following him for several blocks. The woman then began asking questions,...
Porsche Driver Who
Shot Homeless Man
Avoids Jail Time
Nov 8, 2022 1:05 AM CST
Porsche Driver Who Shot Homeless Man Avoids Jail Time
She was sentenced to probation in 2017 incident
- The woman who shot a homeless Nashville man who'd asked her to move her Porsche has avoided jail time in the case. Katie Quackenbush was on Thursday ordered to serve nearly a full year of probation for the 2017 crime, Fox News reports. She was convicted of misdemeanor reckless...
Woman Sues After Arrest:
City Has 'Criminalized Kindness'
Oct 28, 2022 7:15 AM CDT
Woman Sues After Arrest: City Has 'Criminalized Kindness'
Norma Thornton violated ordinance in Bullhead City, Ariz., by feeding homeless people
- An elderly Arizona woman is the first person to be arrested under a city ordinance after she shared food with people in need in a public park—and the first now to sue her hometown over that ordinance, per the AP . Norma Thornton, a 78-year-old retired restaurant owner, was arrested...
Against Homeless Called
Aug 30, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Township's Move Against Homeless Called 'Extremely Extreme'
Activists say Lakewood, New Jersey, could have built a shelter rather than cut down shade trees
- The township of Lakewood, New Jersey, is facing criticism for what activists say is an "extremely extreme" move to deter homeless people from congregating in the town square. Mayor Ray Coles said the township opted to cut down shade trees, based on a recommendation from police, after numerous complaints...
Jul 25, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Mounties: Shooter Who Targeted Homeless People Is Dead
2 were killed in attacks in Vancouver suburb
This story has been updated with new developments
. A man suspected of shooting homeless people at multiple locations in the Vancouver area, killing two of them, was shot and killed during an "interaction" with police, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police says. The RCMP earlier said the man had been...
4 Bears Killed in Campground
Reserved for Homeless
Jul 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
4 Bears Killed in Campground Reserved for Homeless
People moved to park after Anchorage closed pandemic mass shelter
- Alaska wildlife officials have killed four black bears in a campground recently reserved for people in Anchorage who are homeless after the closure of the city's largest shelter. Employees from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game on Tuesday killed a sow, her two cubs, and another adult bear...
Cops Offer Reward
Set on Fire
May 26, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Cops Offer Reward After Chicago's 'Walking Man' Set on Fire
Homeless man Joseph Kromelis, a city fixture for decades, was attacked while sleeping on street
- A homeless man known to Chicago locals for decades as the "Walking Man" was severely burned this week after a brutal attack as he slept on the street. Police say 75-year-old Joseph Kromelis, was lying on the ground in the city's River North neighborhood around 3am Wednesday when...
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted
for Shooting Homeless Men
Mar 15, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
DC Cops Nab Suspect Wanted for Shooting Homeless Men
Man is in custody in Washington after attacks there, in NYC that left 2 dead, 3 injured
A man is in custody in connection with a series of shootings of homeless men in New York City and Washington, DC. The district's Metropolitan Police Department tweeted that the man was arrested early Tuesday in Washington and was being interrogated by homicide investigators. DC Mayor Muriel Bowser...
Told to Restrict Free Meals
to Homeless, Church Sues City
Feb 3, 2022 8:11 AM CST
Told to Restrict Free Meals to Homeless, Church Sues City
Oregon church was told it could only feed homeless people twice a week
- A church in southern Oregon says it is following the teachings of Jesus Christ when it provides free meals to homeless people—and it is unconstitutional for the city of Brookings to try to limit the service. St. Timothy's Episcopal Church and the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon have filed...
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save
Her. That Was Just the Start
Dec 12, 2021 5:00 PM CST
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save Her. That Was Just the Start
A fentanyl-addicted daughter, and the mother who tried to help her
- Laurie Steves made the drive alone from Port Orchard, Wash., to San Francisco this May. Kind of. As Heather Knight writes in a lengthy story for the
San Francisco Chronicle
, she had the ashes of her son Zachary in the car. The 25-year-old had died of a fentanyl and ketamine...
She Lost Hope of Quinceanara,
but Volunteers Stepped Up
Apr 22, 2021 1:19 PM CDT
She Lost Hope of Quinceanara, but Volunteers Stepped Up
'I felt like a princess,' says Adriana Palma of Miami
- Adriana Palma recently celebrated her quinceanara , but that celebration was possible only because of Good Samaritans. When Adriana left Mexico in early 2020, she looked forward to a new life in Miami with her parents and three younger brothers, per the AP . But when the pandemic hit, her father’...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.