Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Man Said
Cut Their Line
Oct 22, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cops: Man Said Neighbors Didn't 'Deserve Cable,' Cut Their Line
Shannon Pearson charged with hate crime after accusing pair of being undocumented immigrants
- A Wisconsin man has been arrested for a hate crime after police say he snipped his neighbors' internet cable because he erroneously thought they were undocumented immigrants and didn't "deserve cable." According to a criminal complaint cited by NBC News and WQOW , 48-year-old Shannon Pearson called the...
Mississippi Man Charged With
Hate Crime in Cross Burning
Sep 24, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Mississippi Man Charged With Hate Crime in Cross Burning
Feds say Axel Cox was trying to intimidate his Black neighbors
- A Mississippi man has been charged with a federal hate crime for burning a cross in his front yard to threaten his Black neighbors, the US Justice Department announced Friday. Axel Cox, 23, has been charged with one count of criminal interference with the right to fair housing and one...
Man Who Attacked
in Sam's Club
Gets 25 Years
Aug 8, 2022 8:14 AM CDT
Man Who Attacked Asian Family in Sam's Club Gets 25 Years
Jose Gomez III said his victims were 'from the country who started spreading that disease around'
- A Texas man has been sentenced to 25 years behind bars on hate crime charges after attacking an Asian family in a Midland Sam's Club at the start of the pandemic. The
reports that 21-year-old Jose Gomez, who pleaded guilty in February to those charges, heard his...
Biden Says Nation
Must 'Address the Hate'
May 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Biden Says Nation Must 'Address the Hate'
President addresses Buffalo shooting at ceremony for fallen officers
- President Biden on Sunday condemned the mass shooting in Buffalo, calling the killer a "hate-filled soul" while acknowledging the wearying effect of such crimes on the nation. "We must all work together to address the hate that remains a stain on the soul of America," the president...
'I Pushed a Bloke.
He Went Over the Edge'
May 2, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
'I Pushed a Bloke. He Went Over the Edge'
Australian court hears confession in 1988 murder of American Scott Johnson
- A man told police he killed American mathematician Scott Johnson in 1988 by pushing the 27-year-old off a Sydney cliff in what prosecutors describe as a gay hate crime, a court heard on Monday. Scott White, 51, appeared in the New South Wales state Supreme Court for a sentencing hearing...
Parents, Son Charged in
Attack That Blinded Gay Man
Apr 13, 2022 3:14 PM CDT
Parents, Son Charged in Attack That Blinded Gay Man
All 3 are facing hate crime charges in Florida
- Three family members in Florida—and possibly a fourth—are facing potential life sentences over an attack that left a gay man permanently blind. Broward County prosecutors say parents Inna Makarenko, 44, and Yevhen Makarenko, 43, are facing hate crime charges over the Aug. 6, 2021, attack, as is son...
'One of the Most Appalling
Attacks I Have Ever Seen'
Mar 15, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
'One of the Most Appalling Attacks I Have Ever Seen'
Cops: 42-year-old man struck an Asian woman more than 100 times in Yonkers, NY
- An elderly Asian woman in Westchester County, NY, was brutally beaten in the vestibule of her building last week, and a fellow resident is now in custody. Police say that the 67-year-old victim passed by 42-year-old Tammel Esco as she was walking to her Yonkers home around 6pm on Friday...
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers
Guilty in Hate Crimes Trial
Feb 22, 2022 9:53 AM CST
Ahmaud Arbery's Killers Guilty in Hate Crimes Trial
Federal charges followed earlier convictions in state court
(Updated with new details on the convictions.)
The three white men convicted of murder in Ahmaud Arbery’s fatal shooting were found guilty of federal hate crimes Tuesday for violating Arbery’s civil rights and targeting him because he was Black, per the AP . The jury also found...
FBI Says HBCU Threat
Investigation Is of the
Feb 2, 2022 5:45 PM CST
FBI Says HBCU Threat Investigation Is of the 'Highest Priority'
Source says agency has identified six 'tech savvy' juveniles as persons of interest
- The FBI says its Joint Terrorism Task Force is investigating bomb threats to historically Black colleges and universities as hate crimes—and the matter is of the highest priority. Almost 20 institutions across the country received threats Monday and Tuesday, causing some to lock down their campus. A law enforcement...
Man Fired, Charged After
Rant in Smoothie Store
Jan 25, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
Video shows James Iannazzo call one worker an 'immigrant loser'
- A Connecticut man who went into a smoothie store to complain went so far over the line that he lost his job and is facing criminal charges—including a felony. Police in Fairfield say James Iannazzo, 48, was arrested after workers at a Robeks said he was "throwing things,...
NYPD: Woman Spit on Boy
Because He's Jewish
Jan 22, 2022 12:10 PM CST
NYPD: Woman Spit on Boy Because He's Jewish
Christina Darling, 21, accused in anti-Semitic incident outside synagogue
- A New York City woman with the last name of Darling was allegedly anything but to an 8-year-old Jewish boy and his younger siblings who were playing in their neighborhood, CNN reports. Christina Darling, 21, has been arrested in connection with a Jan. 14 incident outside a Brooklyn synagogue. She...
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988.
34 Years Later, an Admission
Jan 20, 2022 3:35 PM CST
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988. 34 Years Later, an Admission
Australia's Scott White confesses in court to killing American Scott Johnson
An Australian man has admitted to murdering an American mathematician who fell to his death from a cliff in Sydney in 1988, reports the AP . Scott White admitted in court that he killed Scott Johnson, whose death was initially ruled a suicide. The 27-year-old Johnson was gay, and prosecutors...
Smollett Convicted on 5 Counts
Dec 9, 2021 6:25 PM CST
Smollett Convicted on 5 Counts
Jury decides actor invented tale about being a victim of a hate crime
- A Chicago jury convicted Jussie Smollett on Thursday of falsely reporting that he was the victim of a hate crime in 2019. The former
actor was convicted of five charges and acquitted of one, NBC reports. Smollett showed no reaction as he stood facing the jury and heard the...
Student Sentenced for Ad
Offering Black Teen as 'Slave'
Oct 21, 2021 10:19 AM CDT
Student Sentenced for Ad Offering Black Teen as 'Slave'
Illinois teen ordered to serve 2 years of probation, 100 hours of community service
- An Illinois teenager who was charged with a hate crime two years ago over a Craiglist ad offering to sell a Black classmate as a slave has been sentenced to two years of probation, and authorities say they hope it will help him "mature into a productive member of...
This Time, He Pleads Not Guilty
to Fatal Spa Shootings
Sep 28, 2021 1:08 PM CDT
This Time, He Pleads Not Guilty to Fatal Spa Shootings
Robert Long faces death sentence in 4 cases; other 4 were handled in different county
A man already sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to fatally shooting four people at a massage business outside Atlanta pleaded not guilty to shooting four others on the same day at two spas inside the city, per the AP . Robert Aaron Long, 22, appeared briefly...
Bank Manager: Customer
'Ambushed' Me Over Mask
Sep 13, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Bank Manager: Customer 'Ambushed' Me Over Mask
Hispanic Army vet says customer at Wells Fargo hurled racial slur, beat him in parking lot
- The heated climate over mask mandates kicked up a notch at a Wells Fargo branch earlier this month, when a California bank manager says he was ambushed and beaten by a customer who didn't want to comply with the bank's mask rules. The bank manager, IDed only as...
FBI: Hate Crimes Rose
6% Over 2019 Numbers
Aug 30, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
FBI: Hate Crimes Rose 6% Over 2019 Numbers
Civil rights advocates say crimes are underreported
- Hate crimes are rising in the US, according to the FBI. Reports are up 6% from 2019, but fewer agencies are participating in the count. The FBI has to track hate crime reports, but local law enforcement agencies aren’t required to make reports to the FBI, and some civil...
Against 2 Kids
Aug 20, 2021 10:16 AM CDT
Woman Sentenced for 'Devastating' Hate Crimes Against 2 Kids
Nicole Poole Franklin gets another 25 years behind bars
- In May, a Des Moines woman received 25 years behind bars for state charges of attempted murder. She just got 25 more, this time thanks to a new sentencing on two federal hate crimes. Iowa's News Now reports that 43-year-old Nicole Poole Franklin, who admitted that in 2019 she...
Hate Crime Charge
Follows Smirk at
Jul 16, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Hate Crime Charge Follows Smirk at Sheriff's Deputy
Officer says woman's expression while stomping 'Back the Blue' sign was attempt at intimidation
- A 19-year-old has been charged with a hate crime after a sheriff's deputy said she tried to intimidate him, bringing a debate about including law enforcement as a protected class in Utah. A Garfield County sheriff's deputy wrote that after he pulled over several speeding vehicles, one of...
New Charges in Case of Woman
Who Said Teen Stole Phone
Jul 2, 2021 6:34 AM CDT
New Charges in Case of Woman Who Said Teen Stole Phone
Miya Ponsetto allegedly tackled Black 14-year-old
- A woman seen on video tackling a Black teenager she had falsely accused of stealing her iPhone has now been charged with a felony hate crime in addition to other charges relating to the Dec. 26 confrontation at a New York City hotel. California resident Miya Ponsetto, 22, has been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.