Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ivy League Presidents
Face Backlash Over
Comments on Israel
Dec 7, 2023 11:32 AM CST
Ivy League Presidents Face Backlash Over Comments on Israel
Penn president apologizes for focusing too much on free speech policies at House hearing
- Presidents of three colleges faced a backlash Wednesday over their answers to questions on campus antisemitism at a hearing in Congress the previous day. The
New York Times
reports that the presidents of Harvard, MIT, and the University of Pennsylvania said they strongly opposed antisemitism and supported Israel's right...
Here Are the Best
Colleges in America
Oct 16, 2023 1:22 PM CDT
Here Are the Best Colleges in America
WalletHub looks at everything from post-grad outcomes and campus experience to the cost factor
- Deciding on where to attend college doesn't just come down to academic programs and prestige—it also depends on the cost, and whether students and their parents feel they're getting a decent bang for their buck. WalletHub analyzed more than 850 colleges and universities across the US to...
These Colleges Offer the
Most Bang for Your Buck
Sep 23, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
These Colleges Offer the Most Bang for Your Buck
'WSJ'/College Pulse rank higher-ed institutions based on their value
- Picking a college or university can be a daunting task—especially when students and their parents have to fork over so much money to attend. Some higher-ed institutions offer more bang for the buck, however. Using research from the Third Way public policy think tank, the
Wall Street Journal
Here Are the
10 Best Colleges in the US
Sep 8, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best Colleges in the US
Princeton University is No. 1, per new 'WSJ'/College Pulse rankings
Wall Street Journal
is out with its annual college rankings , prepared in conjunction this year with College Pulse, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, an Ivy League takes the top spot. Princeton University is No. 1, and the
says that instructors, a rigorous curriculum, and ample resources all play a part...
California College Grad, 12,
Busts a School Record
May 29, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
California College Grad, 12, Busts a School Record
Clovis Hung entered Fullerton College at age 9, broke a school record
- Clovis Hung is 12. He's also a member of the class of 2023—at Fullerton College, making him the youngest graduate in the California community college's history, per NBC News . Clovis' achievement outdoes the previous record set by Jack Rico, who graduated from the same college at 13....
Cops: College Student
Planned 'Mass Casualty Event'
Apr 12, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Cops: College Student Planned 'Mass Casualty Event'
Waylon Kurts of St. Olaf College arrested after tip from school custodian
- A student at a private college in Minnesota planned "a mass casualty event" that was prevented by a tip from a school custodian, police say. After the St. Olaf College custodian spotted packages for high-capacity magazines in a garbage can on April 5, a search of a student dorm...
Art Pulled From
Feb 22, 2023 7:59 AM CST
College Wanted Art Pulled From Diversity Exhibit, Group Refused
Now entire display is yanked from State College of Florida over complaints about 3 pieces of art
- For two decades, the Florida nonprofit Embracing Our Differences has hosted an annual outdoor art show in Sarasota, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. This time around, however, the group is yanking its entire display from one of the venues, the State College of Florida, after school officials...
Adele's Next Stage:
Oct 28, 2022 2:53 PM CDT
Adele's Next Stage: College Student
Singer says she already uses her love of English literature in her writing
- In her songs and storytelling, Adele said she relies on what she calls her "passion" for English literature. She plans to deepen that knowledge, the
reports. "I really want to get a degree in English Literature," the singer told fans at an event this week...
These Are the Top 10
US Colleges and Universities
Oct 17, 2022 12:01 PM CDT
These Are the Top 10 US Colleges and Universities
MIT tops WalletHub's list
- Where to go to college is among the biggest decisions we make, affecting not only our future in general, but also our wallets (or our parents' wallets). WalletHub wanted to see which colleges and universities proved the best-performing options at the lowest cost for undergrads, analyzing the data on 900-plus...
College Puts 'Stake in the
Ground' on Abortion Access
Oct 7, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
College Puts 'Stake in the Ground' on Abortion Access
Private women's college Barnard will offer abortion pills to students beginning Sept. 2023
- Barnard College says it will begin offering abortion pills to its students beginning in September 2023. The private women's college in Manhattan, which operates in partnership with Columbia University, made the announcement Thursday, saying it was preparing in case roadblocks were erected to abortion access in New York. "...
Columbia Falls Hard Amid
'Shoddy' Rankings Controversy
Sep 13, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Columbia Falls Hard Amid 'Shoddy' Rankings Controversy
Ivy League school drops from No. 2 to No. 18 on 'US News' list that critics say is easily manipulated
US News & World Report
's annual college rankings dropped on Monday, and one university in particular dropped significantly: New York City's Columbia, which fell from the No. 2 spot it held last year to No. 18—back to a spot it hadn't seen in more than 30...
Paid Student Leader's
32 Years in College May End
May 23, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
Paid Student Leader's 32 Years in College May End
Bolivia judge orders investigation of 52-year-old student with government salary
- Max Mendoza has been a remarkably persistent student—and a profitable one: He's been enrolled at a public university in Bolivia for 32 years but never graduated, much of it while being paid a government salary to serve as a student leader. On Monday, though, he was detained and...
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders
Surprised With Free College
May 11, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders Surprised With Free College
It's the second such gift from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation—and not the last
- A group of 63 third-graders in Phoenix, Ariz., have just been offered a full ride to college. And don't worry, the offer did not come from the overpromising Michael Scott . Instead, it's from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation , a private family organization with a history of following through, per...
With $0 Salary
Apr 6, 2022 1:53 PM CDT
UCLA Advertises Teaching Job With $0 Salary
It sought candidates with PhDs and extensive experience
- In what academics say is just one example of a much bigger problem, UCLA recently advertised an assistant adjunct professor position that required extensive qualifications in return for a salary of nothing. "Applicants must understand there will be no compensation for this position," said the ad on an...
'Something Just Happened'
Was Final Text. Then She Fell
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 26, 2022 7:30 AM CST
'Something Just Happened' Was Final Text. Then She Fell
Death of Penn State sophomore Justine Gross ruled accidental
Police have ruled out foul play in the death of a Penn State sophomore who fell to her death down an 11-story garbage chute in her off-campus apartment building. Justine Gross' death has been ruled accidental and the case has been closed, the
Centre Daily Times
reports. Autopsy results...
College Enrollment Drop
Into 2020 Wasn't a Blip
Jan 13, 2022 7:00 PM CST
College Enrollment Drop Into 2020 Wasn't a Blip
Numbers kept falling in 2021 and researchers are very concerned
- When enrollment at college and universities dropped sharply in 2020, officials hoped it was a one-year blip caused by the pandemic. Instead, numbers are still dropping and analysts fear a wider shift away from higher education could be underway. According to data released Thursday by the National Student Clearinghouse, undergraduate...
Teacher Offered $50 in Syllabus.
Too Bad No One Read It
Dec 19, 2021 7:45 AM CST
Teacher Offered $50 in Syllabus. Too Bad No One Read It
Professor hid cash. It was there at the end of the semester
- Professors share a syllabus each semester in order to ensure students understand all that's expected of them. That's why it's such a drag for them when, without fail, college student after college student neglects to read it. It's also why Kenyon Wilson, associate head of performing...
4 More Years
Dec 17, 2021 1:24 PM CST
Harvard Extends Big Pandemic Change for 4 More Years
Candidates won't be required to send in their SAT, ACT scores until at least 2026
- It was a change brought about by the pandemic, and one that Harvard University now plans on continuing for at least four more years—and maybe even for good. The
New York Times
reports the Ivy League school has decided to go the test-optional route, not requiring SAT and ACT...
This Is the Best
College in America
Oct 18, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
This Is the Best College in America
MIT is No. 1, at least according to WalletHub
- Deciding where to go to college can be a stressful time for high schoolers. For those who are determined to attend the best of the best, WalletHub tries to ease the burden by sifting through all the pros and cons of more than 1,000 higher-ed institutions. The site looked...
Prof to Teach
Class on Drake,
Sep 27, 2021 8:13 AM CDT
Prof to Teach Class on Drake, the Weeknd: 'It's Time'
Canada's Ryerson University is offering deep-dive course on Toronto-born performers
- If you're an undergrad at the Creative School, part of Toronto's Ryerson University, there's a class on Aubrey Drake Graham and Abel Makkonen Tesfaye that may interest you. Don't recognize those names? You likely know them as Drake and the Weeknd, and if you want to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
The Financial Fallout Begins for Diddy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.