Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump's Truth Social
Has Lost Millions
Nov 14, 2023 8:55 AM CST
Trump's Truth Social Has Lost Millions
Platform down more than $30M since launch
This summary has been updated with corrected figures.
Former President Trump's social media platform Truth Social has posted a loss of $31.6 million since its launch in early 2022, reports Reuters . (An earlier report with a figure of $71.3 million cited by multiple media outlets was incorrect....
Visitors Fret at
Slime in NYC
Nov 4, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Locals Shrug, Visitors Fret at Bright-Green Slime in NYC
Freon? Plumbers' dye? 'Ghostbusters' fuel? No one seems to know
- What is it? Where did it come from? Is it dangerous? Those are the three questions Insider posed Friday after a strange, neon-green slime oozed into lower Manhattan this week, worrying tourists even as locals walked right past it without much concern. "So there's literal green sludge bubbling...
Posts on Israel
Oct 25, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Sorkin Dumps Agency After Agent's 'Wrong' Posts on Israel
'West Wing' creator is returning to WME after Maha Dakhil's online remarks on 'genocide'
- As some people are being fired for their social media posts regarding the Israel-Hamas war , others are making their own moves. Among them:
creator and writer Aaron Sorkin, who's dropped CAA as his agency and moved back to WME after his agent, Maha Dakhil, put up a...
Administration Can Fight
Online Posts for Now
Oct 20, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Administration Can Fight Online Posts for Now
Supreme Court says it will consider lawsuit over efforts to take down COVID, election posts
- The Supreme Court said Friday it will take up a lawsuit accusing the Biden administration of unconstitutionally trying to silence political views it disagrees with on social media, the AP reports. In the meantime, the court said it's blocking a lower court order curbing those efforts to have posts...
Oct 20, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Judge Fines Trump $5K Over 'Blatant Violation'
Judge in civil fraud trial blasts former president over post disparaging a court staffer
Updated throughout with new details.
Donald Trump was fined $5,000 on Friday after a disparaging social media post about a key court staffer in his New York civil fraud case was allowed to linger on his campaign website after the judge ordered it deleted. Judge Arthur Engoron avoided holding...
There's a Scary Spike
in Teen Sextortion Cases
Oct 15, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
There's a Scary Spike in Teen Sextortion Cases
'Washington Post' takes a deep dive into the subject, with a focus on the rise in male victims
- Sextortion scams that manipulate teenage boys into sending explicit photos, then blackmail them for money, have "exploded," the
reports, with incident tips on track to double the already staggering number reported last year. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) says it received around...
Another State Sues TikTok
Oct 11, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Another State Sues TikTok
Utah accuses app of 'baiting' children with addictive content
- Utah became the latest state Tuesday to file a lawsuit against TikTok, alleging the company is "baiting" children into addictive and unhealthy social media habits, per the AP . TikTok lures children into hours of social media use, misrepresents the app's safety and deceptively portrays itself as independent of...
SCOTUS to Hear Case on
GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Sep 29, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Hear Case on GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Legislation enacted in Texas, Florida aim to prevent social media sites from censoring users
- The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide whether state laws that seek to regulate Facebook, TikTok, X (formerly known as Twitter), and other social media platforms violate the Constitution. The justices will review laws enacted by Republican-dominated legislatures and signed by Republican governors in Florida and Texas. While the details...
X Is Ditching
Sep 22, 2023 9:48 AM CDT
X Is Ditching 'Perfectly Functional, Popular' Feature
Circles is being discontinued as of Oct. 31
- Another big change at the site formerly known as Twitter: X says it is shutting down the Circles feature as of Oct. 31. The feature, introduced last year before Elon Musk bought the platform, allowed users to share posts with selected people instead of all their followers, the Verge reports....
Aug 5, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Trump's Social Media Post Spurs Swift DOJ Response
Judge sets Monday deadline for defense's answer to special counsel's request for protective order on evidence
This story has been updated with the judge's deadline.
When Donald Trump was arraigned on Thursday on felony charges that he tried to overturn results of the 2020 election, he was told he wouldn't be detained. The presiding judge warned the former president, however, that it was a...
Have a Problem
With Its Shiny
Jul 25, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Twitter May Have a Problem With Its Shiny New Logo
Trademark infringement questions arise over news that Meta, Microsoft also have 'X' registered
- "X" may not mark the spot after all for Elon Musk in his attempted rebrand of Twitter. Although Musk has officially unveiled the 24th letter of the alphabet as his social media site's new name and identity, Insider reports that rival Meta appears to own the trademark for...
The Jig Is Up for
TikTok's 'Dr. Roxy'
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
The Jig Is Up for TikTok's 'Dr. Roxy'
Ohio's Medical Board finds she 'put patients in danger for the social media world'
- A plastic surgeon who made a name for herself in livestreaming procedures on TikTok can no longer practice in Ohio after the state's Medical Board found she'd neglected patients while focused on her viewers. The board voted Wednesday to strip Dr. Katharine Roxanne Grawe, better known as Dr....
LSU Gymnast Got 'Absurdly
Large' Social Media Payout
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 8, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
LSU Gymnast Got 'Absurdly Large' Social Media Payout
Influencer Olivia Dunne admits she received more than $500K in one particular brand deal
- With more than 4 million followers on Instagram and 7.6 million fans on TikTok , it's not terribly surprising that LSU gymnast and
swimsuit cover model Olivia Dunne has earned the "top female social media influencer" label, with an estimated worth of $3.3 million "...
Has Beef With
Jul 7, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Jack Dorsey Has Beef With Meta's Threads
Co-founder complains that Meta just ripped off his creation
- There are legions of people bemoaning Mark Zuckerberg's new "Twitter killer" app (and millions of others signing on to it at a dizzying rate ), Threads , and one of them is predictably Jack Dorsey. The co-founder and former CEO of aforementioned Twitter griped about Meta ripping off his...
Threads Is Breaking
Jul 7, 2023 6:18 AM CDT
Threads Is Breaking Download Records
Zuckerberg says new app was downloaded 30M times in first day
- "Round one of this thing is off to a good start," Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg remarked on the company's Threads social network Thursday. He said that, in "as good a start as we could have hoped for," the app, which went live Wednesday night, had...
Execs Say 10M Joined
Threads in First 7 Hours
Jul 6, 2023 4:41 AM CDT
Execs Say 10M Joined Threads in First 7 Hours
It was 'quite the first day,' Instagram CEO says
- Threads, the new social media app from Instagram, went live Wednesday , 15 hours earlier than scheduled, and execs say the response was massive, with 10 million people signing up in the first seven hours. In a video posted on the platform, a clearly exhausted Adam Mosseri, chief executive of Instagram,...
Zuckerberg's 'Twitter Killer,'
Threads, Goes Live
Jul 5, 2023 7:30 PM CDT
Zuckerberg's 'Twitter Killer,' Threads, Goes Live
Meta boss announces launch with a dig at the competition
- Threads, Meta's text-based messaging app that looks a lot like Twitter and is intended to challenge that platform, went live Wednesday. Mark Zuckerberg made the announcment in a post to his Threads account, including a shot at Twitter. He said his intention is for Threads to remain "friendly...
West's 'Lunch of Suffering'
Is Going Viral in China
Jun 17, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
West's 'Lunch of Suffering' Is Going Viral in China
Images of plain, Western-style lunches are popular, either in ridicule or admiration
- A trend has emerged on Chinese social media platforms such as Weibo and Xiaohongshu—users re-creating and reviewing Western-style packed lunches. The
reports these lunches are called "bairen fan," or "white people food." The trend appears to be a way to understand or, often, satirize...
Internet Praises This
'Genius' DIY Air Purifier
Jun 9, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Internet Praises This 'Genius' DIY Air Purifier
Box fan, some air filters, and duct tape are what people are using to fend off wildfire pollutants
- Social media users are sharing a surprisingly effective way to protect yourself indoors from the toxic wildfire smoke blanketing much of the East Coast: a box fan, four air filters, and a whole lot of duct tape. As searches for "air purifiers" spike on Google, people are posting on...
Foxx Reps Say Vax Claim
Isn't True, Yet It Just Won't Die
Jun 8, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
Foxx Reps Say Vax Claim Isn't True, Yet It Just Won't Die
Rumor that actor's mystery condition was caused by COVID vaccine continues to spread online
- What's going on with Jamie Foxx's health is still largely a mystery —even an upbeat update from his daughter didn't provide many details—but one thing fans can now rule out is that he suffered medical complications from the COVID vaccine. That's according to reps...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.