Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest true stories of survival on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cruise Passenger Found in
Gulf Was Seconds From Death
Nov 30, 2022 9:36 AM CST
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
'The survivor had about 30 seconds to a minute left'
- One of the US Coast Guard officers who helped rescue the Carnival cruise ship passenger who went overboard last Wednesday night says the 28-year-old was moments from death when he was pulled from the water. Richard Hoefle tells CBS News he estimates "the survivor had about 30 seconds to...
Man Who Lost Glasses in
Quake Found 17 Days Later
Sep 22, 2022 11:47 AM CDT
Man Who Lost Glasses in Quake Found 17 Days Later
China's Gan Yu 'said he would have died' in mountains, where he became lost: reports
- Gan Yu was working at a hydropower plant when a 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck China's Sichuan province earlier this month. Rather than flee, he stayed at his post, "saving villages downstream from being flooded," according to state news agency Xinhua . His eventual escape, it turns out,...
Gator Took His Arm, Then
He Got Lost for 3 Days
Sep 12, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Gator Took His Arm, Then He Got Lost for 3 Days
Eric Merda of Florida lived to tell the tale
- It's one thing to get lost in a Florida swamp for three days before finding your way out. It's another for that to happen
an alligator has bitten your arm off. All of the above happened to 43-year-old Eric Merda of Sarasota, reports the
. In July,...
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea
in Floating Freezer: Report
Sep 6, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea in Floating Freezer: Report
'It was a miracle,' says Brazilian fisherman Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues
- After his boat sank, a Brazilian fisherman reportedly survived 11 days in the shark-infested Atlantic Ocean by taking refuge inside a floating freezer. Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues departed on what was supposed to be a three-day fishing trip in early August. But off the coast of northern Brazil, his 23-foot-long wooden...
'Verged on the
Aug 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
After Capsizing, Sailor's Survival 'Verged on the Impossible'
He managed to make it the 16 hours until he was rescued
- A French sailor was rescued in the rough Atlantic on Tuesday after spending 16 hours in his capsized sailboat. The 62-year-old, who'd set sail on his 40-foot vessel from Lisbon on Sunday morning, was 14 miles from the Sisargas Islands off Spain's northwestern Galicia region when he sent...
They Survived an Avalanche,
Then Had to Survive the Night
Jul 29, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
They Survived an Avalanche, Then Had to Survive the Night
2 climbers in New Zealand's Remarkables mountain range built a snow cave
- Two climbers were caught in an avalanche on a mountain in New Zealand—and that was just the start of their troubles. The 20-something males were finishing up a three-day climbing adventure in the Remarkables mountain range when they awoke Tuesday to find their tent buried in fresh snow, per...
Man Survives 18 Hours in
Sea Thanks to Lost Toy
Jul 15, 2022 6:19 AM CDT
Man Survives 18 Hours in Sea Thanks to Lost Toy
Half-inflated ball kept North Macedonia man afloat in Aegean Sea
- A North Macedonia man who was swept out to sea off the Greek island of Kassandra managed to survive for 18 hours by clinging to a small inflatable ball that happened to float toward him. The vacationer identified only as Ivan and a friend were declared missing at sea after...
Did Hibernation Help Save
a Hiker Stranded 24 Days?
Jul 10, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Did Hibernation Help Save a Hiker Stranded 24 Days?
CNET delves into the mystery of Mitsutaka Uchikoshi's survival
- "What really happened to Mitsutaka Uchikoshi on that mountain in 2006?" It's a question that set Jackson Ryan off on a quest for answers in 2019. As he writes in a lengthy piece for CNET , Ryan has been transfixed by the "why" of Uchikoshi's survival since...
'It's the Panic
That Kills You.'
So He Didn't Panic
in case you missed it
Feb 27, 2022 7:25 AM CST
'It's the Panic That Kills You.' So He Didn't Panic
Don Cavers, 77, had quite the ordeal in the Caribbean Sea
- Things went from bad to worse to oh-no for a 77-year-old man in the Caribbean Sea in December. But "it's the panic that kills you," says Canadian Don Cavers, and he managed not to panic. Cavers had flown to Colombia the month prior to buy a sailboat,...
Feb 23, 2022 10:40 AM CST
Bull Achieves 'Legend Status' After Intense 50-Mile Ordeal
He apparently survived getting swept over a New Zealand waterfall, for one thing
- A cattle farmer in New Zealand says he's preparing a welcome home party for a young bull who vanished in floodwaters earlier this month, only to turn up 50 miles away near the coast. After intense flooding on the South Island's West Coast, locals spent hours pulling dead...
Cops: Pair 'Extremely
Lucky' to Survive
Oct 18, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Cops: Pair 'Extremely Lucky' to Survive Outback Ordeal
21-year-old, 14-year-old were lost for days without water in Northern Territory before they were found
- Authorities say if you're going to wander around the Australian Outback, make sure you have plenty of water on you and some snacks, and they advise you to stay with your vehicle if you get lost. Although Shaun Emitja and Mahesh Patrick diverged from those recommendations last week, they...
Gunman 'Tortured' 11-Year-Old,
Who Outsmarted Him: Sheriff
Sep 10, 2021 9:23 AM CDT
Gunman 'Tortured' 11-Year-Old, Who Outsmarted Him: Sheriff
Girl saw family murdered, then faced an interrogation, say authorities
- A Florida couple and two children huddled together in the bathroom of their home, terrified. An intruder had just shot the woman's 62-year-old mother and the family dog, and now he was outside the door, per Fox News . Gaining entry, the intruder pulled away an 11-year-old girl before shooting...
Russian Toddler Just Fine
After 3 Nights Alone in Forest
Aug 24, 2021 3:22 PM CDT
Russian Toddler Just Fine After 3 Nights Alone in Forest
She wasn't the first hardy Russian kid to survive wandering into the woods
- It sounds a little bit like a Russian fairy tale. A Russian toddler wandered away from her 4-year-old sister, out of her family’s yard, and into a nearby forest, the BBC reports. Lyuda Kuzina, only 22 months old, had no food or water with her—what toddler does?—but...
It's 24K Years Old
Jun 8, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
It's Alive—and It's 24K Years Old
Organism revived after millennia frozen in Siberia
- Bdelloid rotifer, a microscopic multi-celled super-resilient organism, was thought to survive being frozen for as long as 10 years. Turns out that was a slight understatement. Such female-only organisms are alive and well after being frozen in Siberia for 24,000 years, according to new research. The study published Monday...
With 'Winning Mindset,' He
Survived 17 Days in Woods
May 25, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
With 'Winning Mindset,' He Survived 17 Days in Woods
With family on his mind, Harry Burleigh, 69, never gave up
- An Oregon man who failed to return from a fishing trip has been found alive after 17 days lost in the wilderness. Harry Burleigh's wife reported him missing May 7 after he failed to return home the previous day. The Roseburg resident's vehicle was soon located at a...
Woman Missing 5 Months
Wintered in Tent, Eating Moss
in case you missed it
May 9, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Woman Missing 5 Months Wintered in Tent, Eating Moss
Discovered in Utah wilderness on Sunday, she perhaps 'didn't want to be found'
- A woman reported missing on Nov. 25 has been found alive five months later in the Utah wilderness, where she survived the winter by foraging for grass and moss. Search and rescue crews launched an initial search for the 47-year-old in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork Canyon in...
He Fell Overboard, Swam
Toward a Black Dot, Survived
in case you missed it
Feb 28, 2021 9:00 AM CST
He Fell Overboard, Swam Toward a Black Dot, Survived
Cargo ship engineer Vidam Perevertilov was rescued 14 hours later
- A Lithuanian man has survived an incredible 14 hours in the Pacific Ocean after falling off a cargo ship during a 3,500-mile supply run. The
's chief engineer, Vidam Perevertilov, felt dizzy after a night shift in the engine room as the ship traveled from Tauranga, New...
After 5 Weeks on
Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Trio Rescued After 5 Weeks on Deserted Island
They had a lovely bunch of coconuts, at least
- US Coast Guard officials were conducting a routine air patrol on Monday when they noticed movement on what should've been a deserted island in the Bahamas. It turns out a trio had been living on Anguilla Cay, a tiny chain of islands between the Bahamas and Cuba, since swimming...
Knocked 5 Times.
He Heard 20
Jan 27, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Trapped Miner Knocked 5 Times. He Heard 20 Knocks Back
Workers at mine in Shandong, China, describe ordeal after explosion trapped them for 2 weeks
- The explosion happened in an instant. Wang Kang, one of 22 workers trapped some 2,000 feet underground as debris filled the shaft at the under-construction gold mine in China's Shandong province, was sent flying. "It blasted us really far away, and our safety helmets cracked," the...
Missing Teen Survives
in Snow Cave
Jan 19, 2021 6:11 AM CST
Missing Teen Survives in Snow Cave
Canadian snowmobiler 'did everything right after things went wrong'
- A missing 17-year-old snowmobiler was found in "good condition" Saturday in Canada after building himself a snow cave and hunkering down. The snowmobiler, identified as Robert, had been traveling with his father and brother on British Columbia's Mica Mountain when he diverted into an area with steep terrain...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Last of Us Zombie Fungus Is Real, Just Not for Humans
Cops: Torture Suspect Is Using Chilling Way to Avoid Capture
17th-Century Paintings Sent for Cleaning Now 'Untraceable'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.