Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
District Puts AR-15s in Schools
Aug 6, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
District Puts AR-15s in Schools
North Carolina sheriff cites Uvalde shooting delays for new policy
- A North Carolina sheriff said he's taking a lesson from the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas. "Those officers were in that building for so long , and that suspect was able to infiltrate that building and injure and kill so many kids," Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood said....
The War of Words
Continues in Uvalde
Jun 22, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
The War of Words Continues in Uvalde
Texas Department of Public Safety head, city mayor air their grievances
- On Tuesday we reported on the head of the Texas Department of Public Safety's forceful, scathing denunciation of the decisions made by local police during the mass shooting in Uvalde. Our story didn't contain one standout piece of information given in testimony before a special state Senate committee...
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
'Napalm Girl': We Should See
Consequences of Shootings
Jun 7, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
'Napalm Girl': We Should See Consequences of Shootings
'It is easier to hide from the realities of war if we don't see the consequences,' she writes at 'NYT'
- Kim Phuc Phan Thi grew up hating the June 8, 1972 photograph by Nick Ut that cemented her as "Napalm Girl." "I thought to myself, 'I am a little girl. I am naked. Why did he take that picture? Why didn’t my parents protect me?'...
Should the Public See What
Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
May 30, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
Should the Public See What Gunshots Really Do to Bodies?
The Uvalde shooting has rekindled a long-running debate in the news media
- What do high-velocity rounds from an AR-15 do to a child's body, and should the public see it? Last week's mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, has rekindled a debate about whether publishing graphic images might prompt more urgent, meaningful action. As the
New York Times
reports, families and...
Dead During Shooting
May 27, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
4th-Grader Played Dead During Shooting
Miah Cerrillo smeared blood on herself
- Another wrenching story has emerged from one of the young survivors in the Texas school shooting. Fourth grader Miah Cerrillo tells CNN that she smeared blood from a classmate over herself to play dead. The classmate already had been killed by the gunman. Miah recounts how the gunman shot out...
Details Emerge About
Teen Shooter in Texas
May 25, 2022 12:22 PM CDT
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Salvador Rolando Ramos is described as a troubled teen fascinated with guns
- In the wake of Tuesday's mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas , details are emerging about the gunman, identified as 18-year-old Salvador Rolando Ramos. While Newser is focusing its coverage on the victims and other aspects of the aftermath, this file encompasses what's currently known about Ramos. Some of the...
GOP Rep for Uvalde:
Today Not the Day to
Talk Gun Reform
May 25, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
GOP Rep for Uvalde: Today Not the Day to Talk Gun Reform
US Rep. Tony Gonzales said he's 'happy to debate' policy another time
- Uvalde, Texas, is represented by US Rep. Tony Gonzales, and the Republican joined
on Wednesday to talk about the horrors that unfolded there Tuesday. "It was such a horrific scene that many of the children could not be identified and they had to use DNA and other...
Prosecutors to Crumbleys:
Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Feb 3, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Prosecutors to Crumbleys: Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley are told to stop broadcasting romantic signals
- The parents of the teen accused of shooting up a Michigan high school in November, killing four students, may be trying to boost each other up during hearings by sending romantic signals across the courtroom and over Zoom, but they're now being hit with a warning to quit it....
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Are Making a Big Ask
Dec 23, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Are Making a Big Ask
James, Jennifer Crumbley say they're 'devastated' about shooting, want bail lowered
- The parents of a teenager charged with killing four students at a Michigan high school didn't anticipate he would commit violence and are "devastated" like others in the community, a lawyer said Wednesday in requesting they be granted a lower bond. James and Jennifer Crumbley are charged with...
Dual Guilty Pleas in
Play for Parkland Suspect
Oct 15, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Dual Guilty Pleas in Play for Parkland Suspect
Nikolas Cruz admits to assaulting jail guard, will enter plea Wednesday for 2018 school massacre
- The suspect accused of carrying out the 2018 mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school that killed 14 students and three staff members and injured 17 others will be entering a guilty plea in that case next week, his lawyer announced Friday. CNN reports that Broward County Circuit Judge...
Says He Lives
of 1998 Attack
Jun 13, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
School Shooter Says He Lives With Shame of 1998 Attack
Kip Kinkel expresses concern over other school shootings, juvenile offender laws
- Kip Kinkel is serving 112 years in an Oregon prison without a chance of parole for killing his parents in 1998, then opening fire at Thurston High School. He's trying to get that sentence changed. But he said he'll have to continue to live with the consequences of...
At Least 8 Killed in
Russian School Shooting
May 11, 2021 6:46 AM CDT
At Least 8 Killed in Russian School Shooting
19-year-old is in custody following attack in Kazan
- A gunman attacked a school Tuesday morning in the Russian city of Kazan, killing eight people—seven students and a teacher—and leaving 21 other people hospitalized with wounds, Russian officials said. Rustam Minnikhanov, governor of the Tatarstan republic where Kazan is the capital, said Tuesday that four male and...
Lawmaker Reportedly Pushed
School Shooting Conspiracies
Jan 22, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Lawmaker Reportedly Pushed School Shooting Conspiracies
Before in office, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene allegedly called Sandy Hook, Parkland attacks staged
- As Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene filed impeachment articles against President Biden on his first full day in office, she was facing calls for her own removal over her support for conspiracy theories, one of which claims the Parkland, Fla., school shooting was staged. The left-leaning watchdog group Media Matters has...
Officer Shoots Student in Class
Dec 2, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Officer Shoots Student in Class
17-year-old brought a handgun to school, police say
- A 17-year-old high school student was shot in a Wisconsin classroom Monday after police said he pointed a gun at them. The student was hospitalized and stable, police said later in the day. No one else was hurt at Waukesha South High School, which is in a suburb of Milwaukee,...
Nov 15, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Wounded Students 'Held Their Composure'
The teenagers should be out of the hospital in days, doctors say
- Three teenagers who were shot at their California high school Thursday are recovering from their wounds, doctors said. A 14-year-old boy has been released from a hospital, ABC reports. Two girls, 15 and 14, should be released soon, doctors said. The 15-year-old, who was shot below the bellybutton, has a...
New High School Has
Features to Foil Shooters
Aug 23, 2019 4:45 AM CDT
New High School Has Features to Foil Shooters
'It will be the most secure high school building in the state'
- A high school in western Michigan has been redesigned to make it harder to kill the students inside. The $48 million project, which includes the building of new sections at Fruitport High School and the renovation of old ones, adds features including curved hallways that would reduce sight lines for...
Freed School Shooter
Killed in Car Crash
Jul 29, 2019 6:34 AM CDT
Freed School Shooter Killed in Car Crash
Andrew Golden was 11 when he took part in shooting that killed 5
- One of the youngest people convicted of murder in American history has been killed in a car crash, 21 years after he and another student killed four students and a teacher at a middle school in Arkansas. Police say 33-year-old Drew Grant was killed in a crash Saturday evening in...
Source: Shooting Suspects
Tried to Burn Home First
May 10, 2019 7:14 AM CDT
Source: Shooting Suspects Tried to Burn Home First
Sources say a guard may have accidentally fired on a deputy amid the chaos
- A former Marine working as a private security guard may have fired on a sheriff's deputy amid the chaos of the Colorado school shooting this week, the
reports, citing a law enforcement source. The source says investigators are trying to determine whether one of the eight students...
Children in Nigeria, Brazil
Are Killed While at School
Mar 13, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Children in Nigeria, Brazil Are Killed While at School
Building collapse, mass shooting leave communities in mourning in two parts of the world
- More than a dozen children were killed Wednesday when tragedy struck two schools in different parts of the world.
Two gunmen opened fire at a school in southeastern Brazil, near São Paulo, the BBC reports. Officials say at least six students and two employees were killed. About 1,000
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.