Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Best City in
America if You're Single
Nov 28, 2022 1:09 PM CST
This Is the Best City in America if You're Single
Seattle tops WalletHub's ranking, and there are plenty of other options across the US
- Looking for love these days can be tough. Along with people still exercising caution over COVID and prices spiking due to inflation, the dating scene can prove challenging all around. To help take that unintended sting out of Cupid's arrow, WalletHub put 182 cities across the US under the...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
US Cities to Be Car-Less
Nov 15, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Be Car-Less
You don't need wheels to get around San Francisco, per LawnStarter
- In some places, not having a car could adversely affect everything from employment opportunities to how you spend your downtime. LawnStarter wanted to see where a vehicle isn't as necessary for your daily routine, so it looked at the 200 largest cities in the US to measure their standings...
Jul 21, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Outcry Leads to Cancellation Hours Before Chappelle Show
Comedian moves to another Minneapolis theater
- Dave Chappelle lost his stage in Minneapolis on Wednesday night, hours before showtime, when the venue decided to act on complaints from staff members and the public about the booking. "We hear you and we are sorry," First Avenue posted on social media, adding, "We are not...
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing
Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Jun 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Judge Peter Cahill delays trial of Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng until January
- The judge overseeing the remaining case of two former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd's killing ordered Monday that the trial be delayed until January to improve prospects for a fair trial. Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng had been due to go on trial next Monday on...
Jun 1, 2022 7:15 AM CDT
Lawsuits: We Endured Derek Chauvin's 'Signature Move'
Minneapolis city attorney hopes for a 'reasonable settlement'
- Two Minnesotans filed federal civil rights lawsuits Tuesday against the city of Minneapolis and Derek Chauvin, alleging they were traumatized when the former police officer used his "signature move" of kneeling on their necks—the same way that he killed George Floyd, per the AP . John Pope Jr. was...
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop
in George Floyd Case
May 18, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Thomas Lane will serve 3 years concurrently with his federal sentence
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer Thomas Lane will avoid trial next month thanks to a guilty plea issued Wednesday in connection with George Floyd's May 25, 2020, death. The
reports Lane pleaded guilty to a state charge of aiding and abetting manslaughter and will be handed a three-year sentence....
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing'
Report on Minneapolis PD
Apr 27, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing' Report on Minneapolis PD
Investigation finds pattern of racial discrimination
- A state investigation launched after George Floyd’s killing in the custody of four Minneapolis police officers has determined that the department engages in a pattern of race discrimination. The state launched its investigation barely a week after Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, and Minnesota's Department of...
Evidence' in Amir Locke's Death
Apr 6, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
'Insufficient Admissible Evidence' in Amir Locke's Death
Officer who shot and killed 22-year-old won't be charged
- A Minneapolis SWAT team entered an apartment on a no-knock warrant about 6:48am on Feb. 2, and in less than 10 seconds, 22-year-old Amir Locke had been fatally shot . Prosecutors on Wednesday announced Mark Hanneman, the 34-year-old police officer who killed Locke, will not be charged. "After a...
Other 3 Officers Convicted
of Violating Floyd's Civil Rights
Feb 24, 2022 5:02 PM CST
Other 3 Officers Convicted of Violating Floyd's Civil Rights
Defense argued they'd deferred to Chauvin as the senior officer
- Three former Minneapolis police officers were convicted Thursday of violating George Floyd's civil rights. Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng, and Thomas Lane were charged with depriving Floyd of his right to medical care when officer Derek Chauvin pressed his knee into Floyd's neck for 9½ minutes as the...
Over Police Killing
of Amir Locke
Feb 9, 2022 2:47 AM CST
Protests Continue in Minneapolis Over Police Killing of Amir Locke
His cousin was arrested in the case SWAT team was investigating at the time
- A Minneapolis SWAT team entered an apartment on a no-knock warrant about 6:48am on Feb. 2, and in less than 10 seconds, a 22-year-old Black man had been fatally shot. Outrage and protests have followed the death of Amir Locke at the hands of the authorities, who were investigating...
Chauvin to Judge:
'Guilty, Your Honor'
Dec 15, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Chauvin to Judge: 'Guilty, Your Honor'
Former Minnesota cop pleads guilty to violating George Floyd's civil rights
Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges of violating George Floyd’s civil rights, averting a trial but likely extending the time he's already spending behind bars on a state conviction. Chauvin appeared in person Wednesday for the change of plea hearing in an orange short-sleeved prison...
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
Plan to Replace
Nov 3, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Minneapolis Voters Reject Plan to Replace the Police
56% of voters opposed measure
- Minneapolis voters on Tuesday rejected a proposal to replace the city’s police department with a new Department of Public Safety, an idea that supporters had hoped would bring radical change to policing in the city where George Floyd’s death under an officer’s knee brought calls for racial...
After George Floyd, a Big
Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Nov 2, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
After George Floyd, a Big Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Residents to decide whether to replace police department with new public-safety agency
- Voters in Minneapolis were deciding Tuesday whether to replace the city's police department with a new Department of Public Safety, more than a year after George Floyd's death under the knee of a white police officer launched a movement to defund or abolish police across the country. The...
Nearly 5 Years
Oct 21, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Cop Gets Nearly 5 Years for Killing 911 Caller
Mohamed Noor shot Justine Damond when responding to her call in Minneapolis
- A Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed woman after she called 911 to report a possible rape happening behind her home was sentenced Thursday to nearly five years in prison—the maximum allowed for manslaughter after his murder conviction was overturned in the case, per the AP . Mohamed...
Derek Chauvin Is
Denied a Public Defender
Oct 7, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Derek Chauvin Is Denied a Public Defender
He filed an appeal in September, listing 14 issues with conviction
Derek Chauvin's request to have a public defender assist him with his appeal of George Floyd's murder has been shot down by the Minnesota Supreme Court. The
reports Chief Justice Lorie Gildea said Chauvin failed to prove that, as the law requires, he cannot afford...
Chauvin Addresses Alleged
Chokehold on Black Teen
Sep 16, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Chauvin Addresses Alleged Chokehold on Black Teen
Former cop pleads not guilty to civil rights violation involving 14-year-old
- The former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd pleaded not guilty Thursday to allegedly violating the civil rights of a teenager in a separate case that involved a restraint similar to the one used on Floyd. Derek Chauvin, who is charged in federal court...
Murder Verdict Reversed
in Justine Damond Case
Sep 15, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Murder Verdict Reversed in Justine Damond Case
Minnesota Supreme Court rules the charge against ex-cop didn't fit the circumstances
- The Minnesota Supreme Court on Wednesday reversed the third-degree murder conviction of a former Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an Australian woman in 2017, saying the charge doesn't fit the circumstances in this case. Mohamed Noor was convicted of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the death of...
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
OK, We Get It—This
City Is Extremely Fit
Jul 13, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
OK, We Get It—This City Is Extremely Fit
Arlington, Va., named fittest city in America for 4th straight year on ACSM's annual list
- For the 14th straight year, the American College of Sports Medicine, in conjunction with the Anthem Foundation, has published its Fitness Index , ranking America's largest 100 cities and Washington, DC, on more than 30 indicators regarding various health behaviors, local infrastructure, and chronic diseases. And for the fourth year...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
17th-Century Paintings Sent for Cleaning Now 'Untraceable'
Cops: Torture Suspect Is Using Chilling Way to Avoid Capture
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.