Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Iceland Cops Foil
'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Sep 23, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Iceland Cops Foil 'Unprecedented' Terror Plot
Police seize firearms, ammo apparently meant to be used in terror attacks, a rare phenomenon in that nation
- A raid Wednesday in and near Reykjavik turned up not only a mess of firearms and ammunition, but also the discovery of an alleged terror plot that was apparently foiled. Gunnar Horour Garoarsson, a spokesman for Iceland's national police force, announced that four native men, all believed to be...
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves
2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Jun 25, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Police investigating mass shooting in Norwegian capital of Oslo as possible terror attack
- A gunman opened fire in Oslo's nightlife district early Saturday, killing two people and leaving 10 seriously wounded in what police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack during the Norwegian capital's annual Pride festival. Investigators said the suspect, identified as a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen originally from Iran,...
A Century Ago, They Lived
Through a Rampage. Now, $1M
May 20, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
A Century Ago, They Lived Through a Rampage. Now, $1M
3 centenarians who lived through 1921's Tulsa Race Massacre will split gift
- Only three survivors remain from the Tulsa Race Massacre , the 1921 attack in which a white mob descended upon the city's affluent Black neighborhood of Greenwood, torched more than 1,250 homes, and killed hundreds. That trio never received any reparations from either Tulsa or the state of Oklahoma,...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
4 Israelis Die
Mar 22, 2022 5:19 PM CDT
4 Israelis Die in 'Abominable Killing Spree'
Police say Israeli Arab man stabbed people in Beersheba city center
- A knife-wielding Israeli Arab man killed four people and seriously wounded two others in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba before he was shot dead by armed residents, police said Tuesday. Police said the attacker careened his car into a cyclist and stabbed five people across a swath of the...
Officials: Mistakes Made
Regarding Vienna Gunman
Nov 4, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Officials: Mistakes Made Regarding Vienna Gunman
He was released from prison early, sought ammo abroad
- The suspected gunman killed following a terror attack in Vienna was convicted of trying to join the Islamic State in Syria, released from prison early in December, and "hoodwinked the justice system's deradicalization program after his release," the AP reports. Kujtim Fejzulai, a 20-year-old dual citizen of...
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna,
Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Nov 3, 2020 6:49 AM CST
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna, Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Suspect was ISIS 'sympathizer' with previous terror conviction: officials
- Four victims have been confirmed dead following a terror attack in Vienna in which at least one shooter fired at people enjoying a night out in the city on the eve of a national lockdown. The death toll includes two men and two women, in addition to one shooter. Fifteen...
2 Weeks After Terror Attack in
France, a New 'Vision of Horror'
Oct 29, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
2 Weeks After Terror Attack in France, a New 'Vision of Horror'
3 dead, several injured at Nice church in what mayor says is another terror attack
- A knife attack at a church in Nice, France, has left three people dead and several others injured, with the mayor of the city declaring it has all the signs of a terror attack. The
report the attack took place around 9am at and near the...
'If a Car Targets Motorcycles,
They Don't Have a Chance'
Aug 19, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
'If a Car Targets Motorcycles, They Don't Have a Chance'
One person is in life-threatening condition after what's being called a terror attack in Berlin
- An Iraqi-born man deliberately drove his car into motorcycles along a stretch of Berlin highway, leaving at least one person in life-threatening condition in what German officials said Wednesday was a terror attack. "According to the current state of our investigation we assume this was an Islamist-motivated attack,”...
American Among the
Dead in UK Terror Attack
Jun 22, 2020 7:28 AM CDT
American Among the Dead in UK Terror Attack
Joe Ritchie-Bennett, 39, stabbed to death Saturday, had moved to England 15 years ago
- An American man was among the three victims stabbed to death in a park in the English town of Reading, in an incident that's being treated as a terror attack, the US ambassador to Britain confirmed Monday. Ambassador Woody Johnson offered his "deepest condolences'' to the families...
They Hid Under Beds.
One Mom Was Killed
Holding Her Newborn
May 13, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
They Hid Under Beds. One Mom Was Killed Holding Her Newborn
Death toll in pair of attacks Tuesday in Afghanistan climbs to 56
- The death toll in Tuesday's attack on an Afghan hospital's maternity ward has climbed to 24, while deaths from a later attack on a funeral have risen to 32, per the BBC . The terror began around 10am with blasts and gunfire heard at the Dasht-e-Barchi hospital in Kabul....
Ukraine Not Ruling Out
Missile in Jet Crash
Jan 9, 2020 11:16 AM CST
Ukraine Not Ruling Out Missile in Jet Crash
'Too many things are unclear,' says one official about Iranian tragedy
- Iran says it's confident that some kind of mechanical failure brought down a Ukrainian passenger jet near Tehran this week. Ukraine, however, isn't so sure. Its investigators are looking into the possibility that a missile or perhaps an explosion inside the jet as part of a terrorist attack...
Fire Extinguisher, Giant Tusk
Used on London Bridge Suspect
Nov 30, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Fire Extinguisher, Giant Tusk Used on London Bridge Suspect
Deceased attacker IDed as 28-year-old Usman Khan, convicted in 2012 on terrorism charges
- After Friday's stabbing attack at London Bridge that killed two, a name for the also-deceased suspect: Usman Khan, a 28-year-old who'd been convicted in 2012 on terrorism offenses, per CNN . The news outlet reports that Khan, originally hailing from Pakistan, was nabbed in a counterterrorism sweep in London...
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic
Never Used in Southeast Asia
May 17, 2019 9:27 AM CDT
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic Never Used in Southeast Asia
Police in Indonesia say they busted bomb plot that would've used WiFi for detonation
- Next Wednesday was supposed to be the day. That's when Islamic militants were planning on setting off a bomb, an Indonesian police spokesman says—and they reportedly had a high-tech plan in place. They were going to use WiFi to detonate it, Dedi Prasetyo tells the
New York Times
Sri Lankan Official:
the 'Worrying Factor'
Apr 24, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Sri Lankan Official: the 'Worrying Factor' About Suspects
Defense minister says it appears many bombing suspects lived, studied abroad
- The Islamic State has claimed credit for helping suicide bombers pull off the Easter weekend attacks in Sri Lanka, and the nation's defense minister is now citing a "worrying factor" about them. "Most of them are well-educated and come from middle- or upper-middle class [families], so they...
An American on Work Trip
Among the Dead in Sri Lanka
Apr 22, 2019 8:48 AM CDT
An American on Work Trip Among the Dead in Sri Lanka
Dieter Kowalski, 40, was a Denver resident who was born in Milwaukee
- We knew that Americans were among the victims of the terror attacks in Sri Lanka , and now we have the first name: Dieter Kowalski, a 40-year-old Denver resident. Kowalski worked in tech for Pearson, described as an educational publishing and assessment company, and he had just arrived in Sri Lanka...
Cops: 'Serious Act of Violent
Subversion' Halted in Germany
Mar 30, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Cops: 'Serious Act of Violent Subversion' Halted in Germany
10 have been arrested for allegedly plotting terror attack
- German police say they've arrested 10 people in the west of the country on suspicion of planning an Islamic extremist terror attack, per the AP . The DPA news agency reported the suspects were taken into custody on Friday and Saturday in the towns of Essen, Duesseldorf, Wuppertal, Moenchengladbach, Duisburg...
Guns Used in Massacre Had
Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
Mar 15, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Survived 9/11 Killed
in Kenya Attack
Jan 16, 2019 11:00 AM CST
American Who Survived 9/11 Killed in Kenya Attack
Jason Spindler was eating lunch at targeted hotel
- He escaped one act of terrorism, but not a second. American Jason Spindler, a survivor of the 9/11 terror attacks, was among at least 14 people killed Tuesday when militants stormed a hotel and office complex in Nairobi, Kenya. Nairobi News cites colleagues as saying the founder and CEO of...
A Month After Trump
Declared Victory in Syria,
US Soldiers Killed
Jan 16, 2019 10:40 AM CST
A Month After Trump Declared Victory in Syria, US Soldiers Killed
As many as 4 US service members may have been killed in suicide bomber attack
- It may have been the deadliest attack against US forces in Syria yet: A suicide bomber detonated an explosive vest amid international forces on a routine patrol in the northern town of Manbij Wednesday. It's not yet clear how many US service members were killed; per Bloomberg , the Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.