Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wimbledon's Russian Ban
Leaves a Tangle
Jul 11, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Wimbledon's Russian Ban Leaves a Tangle
Djokovic falls in rankings despite winning, and 2 nations claim Rybakina
- "Exclusion is fraught with issues," said a former International Olympic Committee executive. That's becoming clearer for Wimbledon. Under pressure from the UK government because of the war in Ukraine, this year's tournament barred players from Russia and Belarus. The WTA and ATP then decided to not...
After Losing to
Djokovic, a 'Final
Act of Defiance'
Jul 11, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
After Losing to Djokovic, a 'Final Act of Defiance' From Kyrgios
Aussie wears red cap to trophy ceremony, breaching strict all-white dress code
- Nick Kyrgios gave the crowd quite a show during the men's singles final Sunday at Wimbledon. The show wasn't over, however, after the 27-year-old Aussie lost to Serbia's Novak Djokovic, as he took part in a "final act of defiance." Kyrgios received a second-place trophy,...
Steady Djokovic Outplays
Volatile Kyrgios at Wimbledon
Jul 10, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Steady Djokovic Outplays Volatile Kyrgios at Wimbledon
Champion wins his seventh straight All England Club title, fourth in a row
- Winning Wimbledon doesn't get old, Novak Djokovic says. And his insight on the issue is nearly unique, after he won his seventh men's title in London on Sunday and his fourth straight, ESPN reports. Pete Sampras also won seven championships; only Roger Federer, with eight, has more. "...
Jul 9, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Wimbledon Final Features Firsts
Russian-born Rybakina brings Kazakhstan its first title
- Elena Rybakina resumed her rise through tennis, which was interrupted by the pandemic, on Saturday with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ons Jabeur to become a Wimbledon women's champion. The 23-year-old, who was ranked 23rd in the world coming into the tournament, remained calm and composed throughout the...
a Very Rare Late Withdrawal
Jul 7, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
At Wimbledon, a Very Rare Late Withdrawal
Rafael Nadal bows out before semifinal because of injury
- Nick Kyrgios just advanced to his first Wimbledon finals, without picking up his racket. His would-be semifinal opponent, Rafael Nadal, announced Thursday that he was dropping out because of a torn abdominal muscle, reports ESPN . The AP notes that it's the first time since 1931 that a male player...
'Sounds of Intimacy' Join
Applause at Wimbledon
Jul 6, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
'Sounds of Intimacy' Join Applause at Wimbledon
People are allegedly getting it on in new 'quiet room' designed for 'meditation, prayer, or reflection'
- "Wimbledon" and "sounds of intimacy" aren't two terms you'd normally associate with each other, but at this year's tennis tournament in London, they've become amorously intertwined. To be more blunt, the Daily Beast puts it thusly: A new "quiet room" at the Wimbledon...
Nick Kyrgios Faces Charge for
Assaulting Former Girlfriend
Jul 5, 2022 6:39 PM CDT
Nick Kyrgios Faces Charge for Assaulting Former Girlfriend
First, he will appear on court for the Wimbledon quarterfinals
- Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been ordered to appear in a Canberra court on Aug. 2 for allegedly assaulting his ex-girlfriend. CNN confirmed through Australian police that the 27-year-old faces "one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021." The news was first reported by...
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches:
Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
Jul 5, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
Wimbledon to Players, Coaches: Don't Buy 27 Yogurts on Us
All England Club emails request that everyone be more 'judicious' in how they spend food allowance
- Playing on the professional tennis circuit surely must work up an appetite, and at Wimbledon, the players there are allotted nearly $110 a day for fare to fill their grumbling tummies. Some have apparently been using their food allowance to the max, however, and a warning has now been issued,...
World No. 1 Falls
for First Time in 38 Matches
Jul 2, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
World No. 1 Falls for First Time in 38 Matches
French Open champion Swiatek and runner-up Gauff are now out of Wimbledon
- Coming into the third round of Wimbledon, Iga Swiatek had won 37 matches in a row and six straight tournaments—including the French Open a month ago. That turned around with a 6-4, 6-2 victory Saturday in London by Alize Cornet of France, who's ranked 37th in the world....
Loses to World No. 115
Jun 28, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Serena Williams Loses to World No. 115
US star exits Wimbledon in first round
- Serena Williams has lost her first singles match in nearly a year, getting beat by 115th-ranked Harmony Tan of France in a third-set tiebreaker at Wimbledon. Williams was two points from victory but could not finish the job and bowed out with a 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (10-7) defeat on Tuesday...
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
After 51 Weeks,
Serena Williams Returns
Jun 21, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
After 51 Weeks, Serena Williams Returns
She won her first competitive match since Wimbledon slip
- As "What A Feeling" boomed around Devonshire Park, Serena Williams strode onto center court at Eastbourne to a standing ovation for her first competitive tennis match in nearly a year. Around 90 minutes later, fans were on their feet again, celebrating a comeback win for the 23-time Grand Slam...
Russian Tennis Pro
Finds a Way to Dodge
Jun 20, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Russian Tennis Pro Finds a Way to Dodge Wimbledon Ban
Natela Dzalamidze changes nationality to Georgian to get around ban spurred by war in Ukraine
- Since the war in Ukraine, Russians have faced fallout—especially in the sports arena , where Russian athletes have been increasingly banned. One athlete, women's tennis pro Natela Dzalamidze, has decided she doesn't want her country of origin to get in the way of her chances to play in...
Osaka Pulls Out
Before It Opens
Jun 18, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Osaka Pulls Out of Wimbledon Before It Opens
25-year-old says Achilles injury isn't healed
- For the second straight year, Naomi Osaka has decided to not play Wimbledon. She was listed among the tournament withdrawals Saturday, ESPN reports, and a leg injury was cited as the reason. "There goes my grass dreams," the 24-year-old posted on Instagram . A tweet said, "My Achilles...
May 1, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Tennis Stars Disagree With Wimbledon on Barring Russians
Nadal, Djokovic say it's unfair to blame athletes for war in Ukraine
- Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic criticized Wimbledon's decision to exclude Russian and Belarus players from this year's tournament following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The two tennis greats made the statements Sunday, the AP reports. "I think it's very unfair of (on) my Russian tennis mates,...
to Report on
Apr 20, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Russia Reacts to Report on Wimbledon Ban
Russian, Belarusian athletes have officially been barred from participating
This story has been updated throughout with the official announcement of the ban.
Tennis players from Russia and Belarus have been banned from playing at Wimbledon in late June—and the Kremlin expressed its displeasure as soon as it heard a ban was in the cards. Spokesman Dmitry Peskov blasted...
Feb 15, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Djokovic: I'll Scrap Wimbledon Over Forced Vaccination
World's No. 1 men's tennis player says he'd give up future titles: 'That is the price that I'm willing to pay'
- Novak Djokovic's Aussie saga has passed, but a month after his deportation after showing up unvaccinated to play in the Australian Open, the Serbian tennis star says he'd give up future trophies rather than undergo forced vaccination. "Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to...
Bank Leader Resigns
Over COVID Breach
Jan 17, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Bank Leader Resigns Over COVID Breach
Credit Suisse Chairman Antonio Horta-Osorio reportedly traveled despite quarantine rules
- Credit Suisse said Monday that its chairman has resigned following an internal investigation that reportedly found he violated quarantine rules intended to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, per the AP . The resignation of Antonio Horta-Osorio, a British-Portuguese national who took the job barely eight months ago, was announced shortly after midnight...
Federer, Nadal Atop
Grand Slam List
Jul 11, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Djokovic Joins Federer, Nadal Atop Grand Slam List
34-year-old bounces back for 4-set Wimbledon victory
- Novak Djokovic tied Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal by claiming his 20th Grand Slam title Sunday, coming back to beat Matteo Berrettini 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the Wimbledon final. The No. 1-ranked Djokovic earned a third consecutive championship at the All England Club and sixth overall, the AP...
Woman to Rule
Men's Final for
the First Time
Jul 10, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
Woman to Rule Men's Final for the First Time
Marija Cicak will umpire Wimbledon's Djokovic-Berrettini championship match
- There will be a female chair umpire for the Wimbledon men's singles final for the first time in the history of a tournament first played in 1877. Marija Cicak, a 43-year-old from Croatia, will officiate Sunday when Novak Djokovic faces Matteo Berrettini for the championship at the All England...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.