Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Richard, Pat Nixon Exposed to
Radiation on 1959 Russia Visit
in case you missed it
Sep 25, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Richard, Pat Nixon Exposed to Radiation on 1959 Russia Visit
Documents regarding incident published online for first time
- Declassified documents just released online for the first time reveal that Richard and Pat Nixon were exposed to a significant dose of ionizing radiation during a trip to Russia in 1959. The then-VP and his wife were staying at the US ambassador's residence in Moscow when it occurred, but...
50 Years Ago,
a Story Surfaced
About a Weird
Jun 18, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
50 Years Ago, a Story Surfaced About a Weird Hotel Break-In
Thus marked the start of the Watergate scandal
- This week marks the 50th anniversary of the origins of the Watergate scandal that brought down the presidency of Richard Nixon, and the newspaper that did the heavy lifting has a fitting commemoration. The
has reprinted its very first story in the saga—an account of a break-in...
Has Died at 90
Mar 31, 2021 12:31 AM CDT
A Watergate Mastermind Has Died at 90
'I'd do it again for my president,' G. Gordon Liddy once said
- G. Gordon Liddy, a mastermind of the Watergate burglary and a radio talk show host after emerging from prison, died Tuesday at age 90 at his daughter's home in Virginia. His son, Thomas Liddy, confirmed the death but did not reveal the cause, other than to say it was...
Lawsuit: History Channel
Buried Watergate Film
Mar 23, 2021 12:48 PM CDT
Lawsuit: History Channel Buried Watergate Film
Filmmaker accuses network of quashing it to avoid offending Trump, but network disputes that
- When Charles Ferguson began planning his four-hour documentary on the Watergate scandal, which drove President Nixon from office, he envisioned a "historical detective story." But as the Trump administration progressed, he saw parallels between the events of the Nixon era and the present political moment, the
Trump: I Learned
a Key Lesson From Nixon
May 8, 2020 10:38 AM CDT
Trump: I Learned a Key Lesson From Nixon
'Don't fire people'
- President Trump called into
Fox & Friends
Friday morning and weighed in on several subjects, including a predecessor in the White House. "I learned a lot from Richard Nixon," he said, per the Hill . Nixon may have had his famous Saturday Night Massacre of firings, but Trump says...
Man Who Defied Nixon
During Watergate Dead at 87
Nov 28, 2019 2:45 AM CST
Man Who Defied Nixon During Watergate Dead at 87
Doyle Ruckelshaus famously quit his job in the US Justice Department
- William Doyle Ruckelshaus, who famously quit his job in the US Justice Department rather than carry out President Richard Nixon’s order to fire the special prosecutor investigating the Watergate scandal, has died. He was 87. Ruckelshaus served as the first administrator of the US Environmental Protection Agency. The lifelong...
Racist Line Now
Jul 31, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Ronald Reagan's Racist Line Now Released
The then-California governor called Africans at UN 'monkeys' in 1971 call with Nixon
- A racist statement made by Ronald Reagan in October 1971 is now grabbing headlines thanks to a piece for the
written by Tim Naftali, and the words are explosive: "To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes!" Reagan...
Trump: Nixon Left,
But 'I Don't Leave'
Jun 11, 2019 4:27 AM CDT
Trump: Nixon Left, But 'I Don't Leave'
He slams John Dean after Watergate comparison
- President Trump blasted John Dean as a "loser" Monday after the former Nixon White House counsel drew parallels between the two administrations. Dean, whose congressional testimony in 1973 led to former President Nixon's resignation, told a House Judiciary Committee hearing that "the Trump administration is in fast...
James McCord, CIA Burglar in
Watergate, Dies Off the Grid
Apr 22, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
James McCord, CIA Burglar in Watergate, Dies Off the Grid
No announcement was made of death nearly two years ago
- As a CIA operative, James McCord Jr. lived in the shadows, emerging for a time into the glare when he was arrested and convicted in the Watergate break-in—the 1972 crime that ultimately led to Richard Nixon losing his presidency. When McCord died nearly two years ago, he was firmly...
'Western White House'
Is Up for Sale
May 29, 2018 7:37 AM CDT
'Western White House' Is Up for Sale
Richard Nixon's former oceanfront estate in San Clemente on the market for $63.5M
- A little piece of history is on the market in California. An oceanfront estate in San Clemente once owned by Richard Nixon and dubbed the Western White House while he was in office is up for sale for $63.5 million, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. Nixon hosted everyone from...
Trump to Nixon Now
May 10, 2017 6:45 AM CDT
Everyone's Comparing Trump to Nixon Now
Critics see echoes of the 1973 'Saturday Night Massacre'
- President Trump's surprise firing of James Comey has one word in wide circulation: "Nixonian." Specifically, critics see a parallel to Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre" in 1973, when the president ordered the firing of the special prosecutor investigating Watergate. Comey, for his part, was investigating ties...
Proof of Nixon Crime
'Worse Than Watergate'
Jan 3, 2017 4:54 AM CST
Historian Finds Proof of Nixon Crime 'Worse Than Watergate'
Notes suggest he tried to sabotage Vietnam peace talks
- Richard Nixon was a criminal even before he spent a day as president, new evidence uncovered by historian Jack Farrell suggests. Farrell says notes uncovered in the Republican's presidential library confirm rumors that during his presidential run in 1968, Nixon tried to sabotage Vietnam peace talks that could have...
Trump's 'Amazing' Letter From
Nixon Will Hang in Oval Office
Dec 15, 2016 6:00 AM CST
Trump's 'Amazing' Letter From Nixon Will Hang in Oval Office
'You will be a winner!'
- He's not exactly measuring the drapes, but Donald Trump has reportedly settled on one particularly interesting piece of decor for the Oval Office. It's a letter from a previous occupant of the Oval Office, Richard Nixon, written to Trump back in 1987, reports Politico , which calls the letter...
43 Years Ago
Oct 20, 2015 3:44 AM CDT
Nixon Predicted Trudeau's Rise 43 Years Ago
He toasted Canada's new PM as an infant
- Richard Nixon predicted the result of Monday's Canadian election 43 years in advance with accuracy that would be spooky if he hadn't been talking about the prime minister's baby son. "I'd like to toast the future prime minister of Canada: to Justin Pierre Trudeau,"...
Nixon Note Exposes Lie About Vietnam Bombing
Oct 12, 2015 12:19 PM CDT
Nixon Note Exposes Lie About Vietnam Bombing
He knew it was accomplishing nothing, continued it anyway
- A newly released note reveals a pretty big presidential lie, the
reports. As Richard Nixon was in the beginning stages of running for re-election, anti-Vietnam War sentiment was strong in the US, and Nixon was looking for a way to settle the conflict without it being labeled a...
Went on a Date
With Tricia Nixon
Nov 11, 2014 11:51 AM CST
Dubya Once Went on a Date With Tricia Nixon
Ex-president reveals personal anecdotes in new 'love story' book about his dad
- He knocked over a glass of wine at dinner and was coolly asked by his date not to smoke. It would appear to be any typical bad first date, except the "he" was a young George W. Bush and his unimpressed date was Tricia Nixon, daughter of the then-president....
Nov 7, 2014 3:28 PM CST
Nixon Library Releases More Diary Entries From Aide
HR Haldeman recordings should give historians more personal view of president
- Newly declassified segments from the diary of Richard Nixon's chief-of-staff provide a detailed, subtle portrait of the disgraced president. More than 40 years after HR Haldeman made his last audio diary recording, the Richard Nixon Presidential Library & Museum in Yorba Linda yesterday released 285 segments from entries spanning...
Pandas Didn't Know
How to Have Sex
Jul 29, 2014 11:40 AM CDT
Nixon Worried Pandas Didn't Know How to Have Sex
'The only way they learn is to watch other pandas mate'
- It's more than a little disturbing that America's least sexy president spent a nanosecond thinking about panda sex—but a recorded conversation reveals none other than Richard Nixon telling
foreign editor Crosby Noyes that, "They don't know how to mate." The recording comes...
Meet Its End
Jun 16, 2014 2:00 AM CDT
'Deep Throat' Garage to Meet Its End
Will be razed, with residential, commercial properties set to replace it
- The Virginia garage that played a key role in the Watergate investigation—where journalist Bob Woodward met with "Deep Throat"—is due to be demolished, Reuters reports. The Arlington County Board made a unanimous decision Saturday to allow a pair of 1960s office buildings, which include the parking...
Dead at 79
May 16, 2014 3:25 PM CDT
Watergate Conspirator Jeb Magruder Dead at 79
He said he heard Nixon himself authorize the break-in
- Jeb Stuart Magruder, a Watergate conspirator-turned-minister who claimed in later years to have heard President Nixon order the infamous break-in, has died at age 79. Magruder spent seven months in prison for lying about the involvement of Nixon's re-election committee in the 1972 break-in at Washington's Watergate complex,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.