Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
There Are Unused Ways to
Get Answers After Stillbirths
Dec 4, 2022 10:45 AM CST
There Are Unused Ways to Get Answers After Stillbirths
In 2020, autopsies only happened 20% of the time
- Each year, some 20,000 pregnancies in the US end in stillbirth. In a lengthy piece for ProPublica , Duaa Eldeib explains that we have tools that can offer grieving would-be parents answers in many of those cases—but those tools are underutilized. Eldeib cites stats that show placental exams can...
Autopsy Finds Fatal Fall
From Plane Was Accidental
Nov 30, 2022 4:39 PM CST
Autopsy Finds Fatal Fall From Plane Was Accidental
Rear ramp had been opened for ventilation
- A co-pilot who fell from a private plane in North Carolina in July died in an accident, an autopsy has determined. The report from the state's chief medical examiner said Charles Hew Crooks sustained multiple blunt force injuries. The toxicology report said tests found no alcohol or "common...
Amended Autopsy Report:
McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Sep 24, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Forensic pathologist's findings, made in July 2021, were just publicly released Friday
- An unusual amended autopsy report for Elijah McClain , the 23-year-old Black man who died after Colorado paramedics injected him with ketamine to sedate him during a police encounter, is drawing attention for a notable change. "I believe this tragic fatality is most likely the result of ketamine toxicity,"...
Kansas Man Sentenced
for Illegal Autopsy Scheme
Sep 20, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
Kansas Man Sentenced for Illegal Autopsy Scheme
Self-taught pathology assistant Shawn Parcells gets 6 years
- A Kansas man who admitted running an illegal autopsy scheme has been sentenced to nearly six years in prison for wire fraud. Shawn Parcells, 42, was sentenced Monday in federal court to one count of wire fraud, the US Attorney's office said. He pleaded guilty in May. As part...
Jayland Walker's Autopsy Is
Out, With One Key Number
Jul 15, 2022 10:27 AM CDT
Jayland Walker's Autopsy Is Out, With One Key Number
25-year-old Black man from Ohio was shot, grazed 46 times in hail of police gunfire: medical examiner
- Jayland Walker, the 25-year-old Black man killed in a hail of police gunfire in the Ohio city of Akron last month, was shot or grazed 46 times, according to a preliminary autopsy report released Friday by the Summit County medical examiner's office, per the AP . Akron police have acknowledged...
Friends Say He Was Exhausted,
the Band Says Otherwise
May 18, 2022 12:51 AM CDT
Friends Say He Was Exhausted, the Band Says Otherwise
Taylor Hawkins' death is still unexplained, but there may have been warning signs beforehand
Following the publication of a
longform on the death of Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins, Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron is walking back his quotes from that article. "When I agreed to take part in the Rolling Stone article about Taylor, I assumed it would be...
a Powerful Bullet'
Killed Patrick Lyoya
Apr 19, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
'No Question a Powerful Bullet' Killed Patrick Lyoya
Family releases results of independent autopsy after Grand Rapids, Michigan, shooting
- The family of a Michigan Black man who was shot dead by police on April 4 says an independent autopsy confirms a bullet to the back of the head killed Patrick Lyoya. The AP reports that syncs with the footage released by the police chief of Grand Rapids, where the...
County Acts After Public
Dissection of WWII Veteran
Apr 15, 2022 2:36 PM CDT
County Acts After Public Dissection of WWII Veteran
Teary officials in Multnomah County, Ore., move to ban for-profit display of human remains
- The widow of a World War II and Korean War veteran who thought she was donating his body to science was aghast to learn that it was instead dissected in front of a paying audience at a Portland hotel last October. Now, as the
reports, the Multnomah County Board...
With Saget's Family,
Blocks Release for Now
Feb 16, 2022 2:41 PM CST
Judge Agrees With Saget's Family, Blocks Release for Now
Applies to any photos, video, or other records related to the investigation into his death
- A judge in Florida on Wednesday agreed with a request from the family of comedian Bob Saget and temporarily prohibited the release of any photos, video, or other records related to the investigation into his death, saying that doing so would cause them irreparable harm. Saget's wife, Kelly Rizzo,...
More Details Emerge
on Bob Saget's Death
Feb 11, 2022 6:41 AM CST
More Details Emerge on Bob Saget's Death
Comedian suffered skull fractures, tested positive for COVID
Bob Saget suffered what
calls "catastrophic" head injuries, per his now-released autopsy, which confirms details his family shared Wednesday. The Orange County Medical Examiner's report says the comedian had fractures to the back of his head and around his eyes, leading to discolored eyelids, as well...
'Years of Hard Drinking'
Feb 9, 2022 9:02 AM CST
'Years of Hard Drinking' Led to
'Chronic ethanol use' is official wording used by coroner's office regarding Anthony Johnson
The autopsy report is in on
star Anthony "AJ" Johnson, who was found lifeless in a Los Angeles store in September. Although the coroner's office deemed the manner of death natural, the cause was attributed to "chronic ethanol use"—meaning Johnson died "from...
Autopsy Report: Miya Marcano
Was Bound With Duct Tape
Dec 29, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Autopsy Report: Miya Marcano Was Bound With Duct Tape
Her cause of death ruled 'homicide by undetermined means'
- The death of a woman who went missing from the Florida apartment complex where she lived did indeed die of a homicide, but the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office wasn't able to get much more specific than that. Per its autopsy report, Miya Marcano died of "homicide...
Front of Paying
Nov 4, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
COVID Victim Dissected in Front of Paying Audience
His family says they never gave consent for 'pay-per-view autopsy'
- In late August, David Saunders, a 98-year-old decorated World War II veteran from Louisiana, died of COVID, and his widow, Elsie, tried to donate his body to LSU for science, though the university refused due to his COVID status. Through a Baton Rouge funeral home, she found another company that...
Cause of Death Announced for
Grad Student Found in River
Oct 26, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Cause of Death Announced for Grad Student Found in River
Coroner says Jelani Day, 25, drowned in Illinois River; Day's family says he was murdered
Jelani Day, the Illinois State University grad student found dead in the Illinois River on Sept. 4, died by drowning, a coroner announced Monday. LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch noted the autopsy wasn't ideal, as the body had decomposed and been visited by predators. Still, "there was...
Coroner Releases Results
of Gabby Petito Autopsy
Oct 12, 2021 2:12 PM CDT
Coroner Releases Results of Gabby Petito Autopsy
He says the cause of death was strangulation
- Gabby Petito died by strangulation, a Wyoming coroner disclosed Tuesday. After the 22-year-old's body was found last month, Teton County Coroner Brent Blue ruled that the death was a homicide . Petito's remains were found in Grand Teton National Park on Sept. 19 and Blue said Tuesday that the...
'1, 2, 3!,'
a Leap Into
Sep 12, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
'1, 2, 3!,' a Leap Into the Water, Then: 'Help!'
More details on 'Glee' star Naya Rivera's final moments in new autopsy, investigative reports
- Details released in July already laid out that Naya Rivera died by accidental drowning . Now, an update reveals more of what happened in her final moments, including information obtained from her young son, who was with her on California's Lake Piru when she died. Per full autopsy and investigative...
On One Point, the Competing
George Floyd Autopsies Agree
Jun 2, 2020 12:31 AM CDT
On One Point, the Competing George Floyd Autopsies Agree
His death was a homicide, they both conclude
- George Floyd's family disagrees with the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office on Floyd's cause of death—but the medical examiner did classify his death as a homicide. On that point the two autopsies (one performed by the ME's office and one ordered by Floyd's family...
What Happened to Ahmaud
Arbery, per His Autopsy
May 13, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
What Happened to Ahmaud Arbery, per His Autopsy
13 shotgun pellets exited his back, 11 remained embedded in his chest, medical examiner finds
- Ahmaud Arbery died of "multiple shotgun wounds sustained during a struggle for the shotgun," according to an autopsy by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. The April 1 autopsy report concluded the 25-year-old was shot three times on Feb. 23, including twice in the chest. Eleven shotgun pellets were...
of Lori Vallow
May 10, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Autopsy: Blood Clot Killed Brother of Lori Vallow
Case remains active, detectives say
- A pulmonary blood clot killed the brother of an Idaho woman who's facing charges in the disappearance of her children—a case that attracted worldwide attention with revelations of her doomsday beliefs and connection to three mysterious deaths. Autopsy and toxicology reports were released Friday for Alex Cox, who...
Oct 30, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Forensic Expert Suggests Epstein Was Murdered
Neck fractures imply homicidal strangulation: Dr. Michael Baden
- A forensic pathologist hired by Jeffrey Epstein's brother says the financier may have been murdered inside his Manhattan prison cell on Aug. 10. "There's evidence here of homicide that should be investigated," Dr. Michael Baden, a former New York City medical examiner who witnessed the autopsy,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
As Police Kicked and Beat Him, He Kept Yelling Out One Thing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.