Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Owner Held After
Sending Elderly to
Warehouse in Storm
Jun 22, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Owner Held After Sending Elderly to Warehouse in Storm
More than 800 nursing home residents were found in squalor after hurricane struck
- The owner of seven Louisiana nursing homes who sent more than 800 of his elderly residents to a crowded, ill-equipped warehouse to ride out Hurricane Ida last year was arrested Wednesday on fraud and cruelty charges arising from the squalid conditions. Bob Glynn Dean Jr., 68, was already facing state...
Biden to Require Vaccinations
for Nursing Home Staffs
Aug 18, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Biden to Require Vaccinations for Nursing Home Staffs
Medicaid, Medicare funding could be pulled for noncompliance
- President Biden announced Wednesday that his administration will require that nursing home staffs be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition for those facilities to continue receiving federal Medicare and Medicaid funding. Biden unveiled the policy in a White House address as the administration looks for ways to use mandates to...
Feds: Go Ahead,
Hug Loved Ones
in Nursing Homes
Mar 11, 2021 7:41 AM CST
Feds: Go Ahead, Hug Loved Ones in Nursing Homes
Residents now permitted to have physical contact again, as long as they're vaccinated, wear a mask
- Nursing home residents vaccinated against COVID can get hugs again from loved ones, and all residents may enjoy more indoor visits, the government said Wednesday, in a step toward pre-pandemic normalcy. The policy guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services moves back in the pre-COVID-19 direction, saying that...
Cuomo in Hot Seat
After Leaked Call
on Nursing Home Stats
Feb 12, 2021 1:23 PM CST
Cuomo in Hot Seat After Leaked Call on Nursing Home Stats
Aide Melissa DeRosa admitted to Dem lawmakers 'we froze' on divulging accurate numbers
- A leaked call has put New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's team in the hot seat, after one of his top aides told Democratic lawmakers that stats for nursing home deaths from COVID were held back to avoid political attacks from the Trump administration. The
New York Post
New York COVID Stats May Be
Way Off on Nursing Homes
Jan 28, 2021 1:34 PM CST
New York COVID Stats May Be Way Off on Nursing Homes
State attorney general Letitia James says death toll might be undercounted by more than 50%
- New York may have undercounted COVID-19 deaths of nursing home residents by as much as 50%, the state’s attorney general said Thursday, per the AP . Attorney General Letitia James has, for months, been examining discrepancies between the number of deaths being reported by the state's Department of Health,...
27 Dead After 'Completely
Irresponsible' Santa Visit
Jan 1, 2021 1:00 PM CST
27 Dead After 'Completely Irresponsible' Santa Visit
Residents at Belgian nursing home were seen in pics not wearing masks during holiday event
- Authorities in Belgium say a 27th elderly person has died in an outbreak at a nursing home from a superspreading St. Nick party last month, but they hope the situation is now under control. The Hemelrijck home in the northern Belgium city of Mol had organized an early December visit...
Death Toll Is at Least 7
After Rule-Breaking Wedding
Dec 6, 2020 9:32 AM CST
Death Toll Is at Least 7 After Rule-Breaking Wedding
Employees of nursing homes were among the 300 celebrating
- An investigation—and contact tracing—began immediately after positive tests started to show up among the 300 people who attended a wedding last month in Washington state. The toll is starting to become clear. Seven residents of three nursing homes who had COVID-19 have died since employees at the homes...
Daughter Removes Mom From
Care Home, Gets Arrested
Nov 6, 2020 12:35 PM CST
Daughter Removes Mom From Care Home, Gets Arrested
Controversy leads to a change in pandemic laws in the UK
- A retired nurse blocked from meeting her 97-year-old mother in person since March was arrested after removing her mom from a care home in England on Tuesday, days before new coronavirus lockdown rules went into effect. Humberside Police have since released without penalty 73-year-old Ylenia Angeli, whose "drastic action”...
Sep 17, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Trump Team: New COVID-19 Report Is 'Resounding Vindication'
But the report highlights 27 unmet needs
- The Trump administration is claiming "resounding vindication" from an independent commission's report on the coronavirus crisis in nursing homes, but some panel members say that's a misinterpretation of their conclusion that much remains to be done to safeguard vulnerable residents, the AP reports. People in long-term care...
Lawsuit: Nursing Home Staff
Were Ordered Not to Wear PPE
Aug 31, 2020 6:55 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Nursing Home Staff Were Ordered Not to Wear PPE
Virus killed 19 at Michigan facility
- Former employees of a Michigan nursing home say it had a strict mask policy in the weeks after the pandemic hit the state: No masks allowed. Three ex-employees are suing the the Villages of Lapeer Nursing and Rehabilitation in Lapeer, along with relatives of Wanda Parker, one of 19 residents...
'River of Grief' Was
Totally Avoidable: Report
Jun 6, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
'River of Grief' Was Totally Avoidable: Report
US nursing homes ducked rules for pandemic preparation
- America's nursing homes—where over 16,000 workers and residents have died from the coronavirus—have resisted federal pandemic guidelines for years, ProPublica reports. "It's just a river of grief," says a nursing-home reform advocate, "and it could have been prevented." Back in 2016,...
CDC: Nursing Homes Have
Been 'Devastated' by COVID
Jun 1, 2020 5:34 PM CDT
CDC: Nursing Homes Have Been 'Devastated' by COVID
Virus has killed more than 26K in homes across US
- Federal health authorities have received reports of nearly 26,000 nursing home residents dying from COVID-19, according to materials prepared for the nation's governors. That number—a quarter of US coronavirus deaths—is partial and likely to go higher. A letter from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services...
America's 'Virus Hero'
Is Suddenly Taking Heat
May 9, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
America's 'Virus Hero' Is Suddenly Taking Heat
Gov. Cuomo's has pretty much dismissed one aspect of the pandemic
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has won bipartisan praise for rallying supplies for his ravaged hospitals and helping slow the coronavirus, is coming under increasing criticism for not bringing that same level of commitment to a problem that has so far stymied him: nursing homes, the AP reports. In...
After Viral Clip
May 9, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Kimmel Offers Apology to Mike Pence After Viral Clip
VP wasn't carrying empty boxes of PPE into a nursing home, as Kimmel claimed
- On Thursday, Mike Pence made an appearance at a Virginia nursing home to help deliver boxes of personal protective equipment—and now a late-night host is apologizing for his commentary on it. On his show Thursday night, Jimmy Kimmel aired a video that originally ran on C-SPAN showing the vice...
Report: Fever of
104.9 Was Ignored.
Death Came Days Later
May 8, 2020 12:06 PM CDT
Report: Fever of 104.9 Was Ignored. Death Came Days Later
Federal review finds 53 coronavirus deaths at NJ facility where bodies piled up
- In April, police received a tip about a body being kept in a shed at a New Jersey nursing home. They found 17 bodies in the small morgue of Andover Subacute and Rehabilitation Center II, but that was just the first detail to emerge. At least 53 residents of the...
A Sobering Virus Stat
Out of NY Nursing Homes
May 5, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
A Sobering Virus Stat Out of NY Nursing Homes
State updates COVID-19 tally, reveals 1.7K deaths went undisclosed
- New York state is reporting more than 1,700 previously undisclosed deaths at nursing homes and adult care facilities as the state faces scrutiny over how it protected vulnerable residents during the coronavirus pandemic, per the AP . At least 4,813 people have died from COVID-19 in the state's...
With 20K Dead,
May 3, 2020 1:55 PM CDT
With 20K Dead, Care Homes Seek Protection
They see a deluge of potential lawsuits on the way
- Faced with 20,000 coronavirus deaths and counting, the nation's nursing homes are pushing back against a potential flood of lawsuits with a sweeping lobbying effort to get states to grant them emergency protection from claims of inadequate care, the AP reports. At least 15 states have enacted laws...
Tip on Corpse in Nursing Home
Shed Leads to 17 Bodies
Apr 16, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Tip on Corpse in Nursing Home Shed Leads to 17 Bodies
New Jersey facility was simply 'overwhelmed' by people dying, local police chief says
- A gruesome discovery was made Monday at one of New Jersey's largest licensed nursing homes, after a tip came in to police that a body was being stored in a shed. When Andover cops showed up at Andover Subacute and Rehabilitation Center I and II, there was no body...
Horrific Stories Out
of Nursing Home
Where 45 Have Died
Apr 15, 2020 4:01 AM CDT
Horrific Stories Out of Nursing Home Where 45 Have Died
More than 28% of the Richmond facility's residents have died in coronavirus outbreak
- Ronald Mitchell worried about his mother’s care at a suburban Richmond nursing home long before she was swept up in one of the nation’s deadliest coronavirus outbreaks . She’s bedbound and susceptible to seizures. A sore on her foot went unnoticed for so long, he said, that it...
Nursing Home Deaths
Are Rising Alarmingly
Apr 13, 2020 5:51 PM CDT
Nursing Home Deaths Are Rising Alarmingly
Figure of 3.6K nationwide may be an undercount
- More than 3,600 deaths nationwide have been linked to coronavirus outbreaks in nursing homes and long-term care facilities, an alarming rise in just the past two weeks, according to the latest count by the AP . Because the federal government has not been releasing a count of its own, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
'Extreme Heat Belt' Emerging in US
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.