Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
All 38 Passengers
on Doomed Plane
Dec 12, 2019 1:40 PM CST
All 38 Passengers on Doomed Plane Presumed Dead
Wreckage of the Chilean Air Force plane has been found
- The wreckage of the Chilean Air Force plane that went missing en route to a base in Antarctica Monday night has been found, and Chile's government believes all 38 passengers aboard are dead. "I would like to express our condolences, support and the pain we are feeling for...
for Missing Plane
Dec 11, 2019 5:23 AM CST
Search Crews Comb Antarctic for Missing Plane
Chilean plane was carrying 38 people
- Search crews are combing the Antarctic for a Chilean military transport plane carrying 38 people that vanished en route to a base on the frozen continent and will tirelessly press ahead as the hunt gains widening international support, officials say. Gen. Eduardo Mosqueira says Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, and the US...
Plane Carrying 38
Way to Antarctica
Dec 10, 2019 12:44 AM CST
Plane Carrying 38 Disappears on Way to Antarctica
Chile lost contact with military aircraft
- Chile's air force said it lost radio contact with a transport plane carrying 38 people on a flight Monday evening to one of the country's bases in Antarctica. It said the military had declared an alert and activated search and rescue teams. The C-130 Hercules carried 17 crew...
Chile Cancels Summit Where
US, China Hoped to Sign Deal
Oct 30, 2019 12:34 PM CDT
Chile Cancels Summit Where US, China Hoped to Sign Deal
White House says it wants to sign first phase of deal anyway
- The White House says it wants to sign the first phase of a new China trade deal next month even though the summit where it was to have happened has been cancelled. President Trump was to travel to Santiago, Chile, in November to sign the preliminary agreement with China's...
Oct 26, 2019 1:54 PM CDT
Why Millions Are Protesting Worldwide
From Chile to Iraq to Hong Kong, people are upset
- In Hong Kong, it was a complicated extradition dispute involving a murder suspect. In Beirut, it was a proposed tax on the popular WhatsApp messenger service. In Chile, it was a 4-cent hike in subway fares. Recent weeks have seen mass protests and clashes erupt in far-flung places triggered by...
Flight Attendant Tells Customs
He Has $100. It Was $9K
Oct 23, 2019 10:46 AM CDT
Flight Attendant Tells Customs He Has $100. It Was $9K
4 American Airlines flight attendants accused of smuggling $22K in cash into Miami
- Four American Airlines flight attendants have been arrested on money laundering charges after police say they flew into Miami with more than $22,000 in cash. Carlos Alberto Munoz-Moyano was the first to be checked by customs at Miami International Airport after departing the flight from Santiago, Chile, on Monday....
Total Eclipse Was
Jul 3, 2019 4:06 AM CDT
Total Eclipse Was 'Greatest Ever' for Astronomers
Path included powerful observatories
- Eclipse-watchers from around the world gathered in South America on Tuesday for the last total eclipse of the decade. As the moon passed between the Earth and the sun, a 6,000-mile band of darkness caused by its shadow stretched across northern Chile and Argentina, as well as uninhabited Oeno...
Pope Removes New Bishop
After His Comments on Women
Jun 14, 2019 5:32 PM CDT
Pope Removes New Bishop After His Comments on Women
Chilean cleric held the post for 24 days
- Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of the auxiliary bishop of the Chilean capital city of Santiago just 24 days after he appointed him to the post, church officials said Friday. Bishop Carlos Eugenio Irarrázabal had become embroiled in controversy after he recently said there were no women at...
Bones Taken From
Easter Island to Be Returned
Mar 29, 2019 10:48 AM CDT
Bones Taken From Easter Island to Be Returned
Explorer Thor Heyerdahl took them from the island in the '50s
- Thor Heyerdahl's most famous feat didn't involve Easter Island: The Norwegian explorer is best known for sailing more than 3,700 miles from Peru to Polynesia on a reed raft dubbed the Kon-Tiki. But just shy of a decade after that 1947 journey—an attempt to prove people...
Aug 8, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Easter Island Natives Want British Museum's 'Stolen' Statue
Rapa Nui say the Hoa Hakananai'a moai piece was stolen 150 years ago
- It's been called one of the British Museum's must-see marvels. But Hoa Hakananai'a won't remain there, if Easter Island's indigenous people get their way. The 7-foot-tall moai statue housed in London since it was taken 150 years ago from what's now a Chilean territory...
Every Bishop in Chile
Tells Pope They Will Resign
May 18, 2018 7:34 AM CDT
Every Bishop in Chile Tells Pope They Will Resign
Their fate is now in hands of pope in midst of church's long-running abuse saga
- Every Chilean bishop offered to resign Friday over a sex abuse and cover-up scandal, in the biggest shakeup ever in the Catholic Church's long-running abuse saga. The bishops announced at the end of an emergency summit with Pope Francis that all 31 active bishops and three retired ones had...
In Extraordinary Letter, Pope
Admits Making 'Grave Errors'
Apr 12, 2018 6:52 AM CDT
In Extraordinary Letter, Pope Admits Making 'Grave Errors'
Says he made missteps in judging the case of Chilean Bishop Juan Barros
- Pope Francis admitted Wednesday he made "grave errors" in judgment in Chile's sex abuse scandal and invited the victims he had discredited to Rome to beg their forgiveness. In an extraordinary public letter, Francis also summoned all of Chile's bishops to the Vatican for an emergency meeting...
Research on 'Alien' Skeleton
Causes Outrage in Chile
Mar 29, 2018 3:45 AM CDT
Research on 'Alien' Skeleton Causes Outrage in Chile
Body of stillborn girl was dug up near church
- A tiny skeleton long rumored to be some kind of alien-human hybrid is actually the body of a stillborn baby girl , researchers say—and the finding has caused outrage in Chile, where the body was dug up near an abandoned Catholic church in 2003. Chilean scientists say it appears that...
Truth About Mummified
'Alien' Skeleton Revealed
Mar 23, 2018 2:15 AM CDT
Truth About Mummified 'Alien' Skeleton Revealed
'Ata' was human girl with severe genetic mutations
- You can definitely see why the tiny mummified skeleton—found inside a leather pouch behind an abandoned church in Chile's Atacama Desert in 2003—had many claiming an alien had been discovered. The 6-inch skeleton—nearly 2 inches shorter than the shortest baby ever born—had a cone-shaped head,...
Feb 6, 2018 1:19 PM CST
2015 Letter May Be Trouble for Pope Francis
Francis says he's seen no evidence against accused bishop, but now a 2015 letter surfaces
- Pope Francis found himself courting controversy on a recent visit to Chile when he defended Bishop Juan Barros, who has been accused of covering up the actions of a pedophile priest. Francis insisted that he considers the allegations against the bishop "slander" because nobody has ever come forward with...
Stun Victims of
Jan 19, 2018 6:50 AM CST
Pope's Remarks Stun Victims of Pedophile Priest
He accuses them of slandering bishop
- Pope Francis accused victims of Chile's most notorious pedophile of slander Thursday, an astonishing end to a visit meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic Church its credibility in the country. Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop...
Jan 18, 2018 3:20 PM CST
Pope Marries Flight Attendants, Makes History
It was 1st-ever airborne papal wedding
- Pope Francis celebrated the first-ever airborne papal wedding on Thursday, marrying two flight attendants from Chile's flagship airline during a flight from Santiago, the AP reports. Bride Paola Podest, 39, and groom Carlos Ciuffardi, 41, said "I do" after telling Francis that they had been married in a...
Wins Power in Latin America
Dec 18, 2017 12:03 AM CST
Another Conservative Wins Power in Latin America
Sebastian Pinera gets another turn as president of Chile
- Sebastian Pinera's resounding victory in a presidential runoff election swings Chile back to the right and highlights the increasing number of conservative leaders who have won power in Latin America, the AP reports. With nearly all ballots counted, the billionaire former president won 54.6% of the votes Sunday...
Texas Politician's Bill Urges
Texans Not to Use Wrong Emoji
Feb 17, 2017 12:48 PM CST
Texas Politician's Bill Urges Texans Not to Use Wrong Emoji
Lawmaker's legislation doesn't want locals using Chile's flag emoji
- The Chilean flag is annoyingly similar to Texas' state flag, but that doesn't mean Lone Star Staters should appropriate Chile's flag emoji when they feel like expressing Texas pride. That's the gist of what one state lawmaker is trying to push through via Texas House Concurrent Resolution...
Chile's Worst-Ever Wildfires
Wipe Out Entire Town
Jan 27, 2017 12:27 AM CST
Chile's Worst-Ever Wildfires Wipe Out Entire Town
Firefighter, police officers among 10 killed
- Flames from one of Chile's worst wildfires completely consumed the town of Santa Olga as the death toll from the blazes since November rose to 10, officials say. The flames engulfed the post office, a kindergarten, and about 1,000 homes in the town, located 220 miles south of...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.