Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Under the Weather?
Do as Doctors Do
Jan 1, 2023 10:01 AM CST
Under the Weather? Do as Doctors Do
Advice from those in the know
- If you've been hit with a winter illness, do as the experts do—an approach made easier by the
Wall Street Journal
and HuffPost , which spoke with asked ear, nose, and throat specialists; pediatricians; and family doctors about what they turn to when they get sick. Among their advice:...
Make Competency Exams
Required for Older Doctors
Nov 28, 2022 5:43 PM CST
Make Competency Exams Required for Older Doctors
Mandatory exams could help identify those experiencing cognitive decline
- Cardiologist Sandeep Jauhar begins his opinion piece in the
New York Times
with a reference to Dr. Howard Tucker of Cleveland, who at age 100 is the world’s oldest practicing physician and an "extreme example" of an undeniable demographic trend: More American doctors than ever are working into...
Ex-Model Takes Plea
in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Nov 11, 2022 10:41 AM CST
Ex-Model Takes Plea in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Prosecutors say victim Thomas Burchard cut off money he had been giving to Kelsey Turner
- A former model has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the fatal beating of a 71-year-old psychiatrist, reports
. Kelsey Turner, 29, took what's known as an Alford plea in the 2019 slaying of Thomas Burchard, meaning she maintained her innocence while pleading guilty to the murder charge....
Doctor Who First Helped Diana
in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
Aug 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Doctor Who First Helped Diana in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
As 25th anniversary approaches, Frederic Mailliez speaks about the night of the fatal 1997 accident
- The woman was crumpled on the floor of a mangled Mercedes, unconscious and struggling to breathe. The French doctor had no idea who she was and focused on trying to save her. Twenty-five years later, Frederic Mailliez is still marked by what happened in the Alma Tunnel in Paris on...
Survey: 1 in 7 Doctors Uses
Alcohol or Drugs at Work
Aug 19, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
Survey: 1 in 7 Doctors Uses Alcohol or Drugs at Work
Almost half of health care workers are approaching 'breaking point'
- America's doctors are so stressed out that many of them can't make it through their working day without using alcohol or drugs, according to a survey from mental health company All Points North . The company says its survey of 1,000 health care workers found more than a...
When a Brain Cancer Doctor
Has His Own Tumor Removed
Jul 31, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
When a Brain Cancer Doctor Has His Own Tumor Removed
Dr. Evan Noch shares his experience in a HuffPost essay
- When Evan Noch woke from brain surgery and was administered an IV steroid dose, he immediately vomited four times. It surprised him. He had never heard of anyone vomiting after receiving dexamethasone intravenously, "despite this apparently well-known idiosyncratic effect." And he would know. Noch—that's Dr. Noch—...
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist
Letter From OB-GYN
Jul 16, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist Letter From OB-GYN
Warning sent by attorney for Dr. Caitlin Bernard, who performed abortion on 10-year-old rape victim
- The doctor at the center of a story about a 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio who had to travel to Indiana in order to get an abortion has sent the Indiana state attorney general a cease-and-desist letter, for remarks that the doctor's lawyer is calling defamatory. "Please immediately...
Hitler Feared Getting Sick,
per Newly Revealed Letters
Jun 6, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Hitler Feared Getting Sick, per Newly Revealed Letters
'If there is something bad, I absolutely have to know,' Nazi dictator said to doctor
- Screaming at Nazi rallies apparently does a number on your voice, and it seems to have spurred Adolf Hitler to see an ear, throat, and nose specialist for at least a decade. Now, details on letters written by that doctor about the World War II-era dictator have been released. Per...
Doctor Acquitted of Murder
in 14 Fentanyl Deaths
Apr 20, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
Doctor Acquitted of Murder in 14 Fentanyl Deaths
Prosecutors alleged William Husel killed critically ill patients with fentanyl overdoses
- After six days of deliberations, a jury in Ohio decided that a doctor accused of killing multiple patients with fentanyl overdoses is not a murderer. William Husel was acquitted Wednesday of 14 counts of murder, all involving critically ill patients in the Columbus-area Mount Carmel Health System, NBC reports. The...
2 US Doctors Work to Save
Ukrainian Lives—Via YouTube
Mar 15, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
2 US Doctors Work to Save Ukrainian Lives—Via YouTube
Ukrainian tutorial out of Brigham and Women's Hospital teaches how to stop blood loss
- Nelya Melnitchouk came to the US from Ukraine when she was 18. After becoming an oncology surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, she began working with an organization to share information on cancer treatment with her counterparts in Ukraine. But once Russia invaded the country on Feb....
Humanitarian Doctor 'Didn't
Take No for an Answer'
Feb 22, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Humanitarian Doctor 'Didn't Take No for an Answer'
Partners in Health co-founder Paul Farmer, who helped impoverished people worldwide, dies at 62
- Dr. Paul Farmer, a US physician, humanitarian, and author renowned for providing health care to millions of impoverished people worldwide, and who co-founded the global nonprofit Partners in Health, has died. He was 62. The Boston-based organization confirmed Farmer's death on Monday, calling it "devastating" and noting he...
New Rx From Canadian Docs:
Date With Mother Nature
Feb 2, 2022 11:29 AM CST
New Rx From Canadian Docs: Date With Mother Nature
Canadian doctors can prescribe free yearlong pass to 80 national parks, historic sites to boost health
- Just what the doctor ordered: a stroll through your local national park. That's the new prescription that patients in several Canadian provinces might now receive from health care professionals, thanks to a program being backed by Parks Canada. The
reports the government agency has joined PaRx: A...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
Docs Fall Sick
Nov 24, 2021 11:09 AM CST
After Anti-Vax Summit, 7 Docs Fall Sick
One claimed he'd been taking ivermectin and 'never felt healthier'
- At an anti-vaccine summit in Florida, where alternative treatments for COVID-19 were discussed, a 71-year-old cardiologist stood up and criticized his 97-year-old father for getting vaccinated. "He had been brainwashed" and "didn't tell me," Dr. Bruce Boros told attendees on Nov. 6, per the
Doctor Against Vax Mandates
Has Her Privileges Yanked
Nov 15, 2021 8:52 AM CST
Doctor Against Vax Mandates Has Her Privileges Yanked
Houston Methodist says Dr. Mary Bowden has spread 'dangerous misinformation' on COVID
- A Texas hospital has suspended the privileges of one of its doctors for airing her "dangerous" views on the coronavirus vaccine. Per KTRK , Houston Methodist announced Friday evening it had yanked privileges for ear, nose, and throat specialist Dr. Mary Bowden, who the hospital says had been "using...
Oct 28, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Doctor Sleeps Through Surgery
Boston surgeon ate in his car, then nodded off
- A wait for a doctor can be long, but it was especially painful for a patient needing emergency ankle surgery at Boston Medical Center. The patient had been taken into an operating room by two doctors, one of whom then said he had to eat first. He left, went to...
Lack of Doctors, Supplies
Plagues Quake-Struck Haiti
Aug 16, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Lack of Doctors, Supplies Plagues Quake-Struck Haiti
'Basically, they need everything,' one doctor says of hospitals in Les Cayes, near where quake hit
- As the death toll continues to climb after a 7.2 magnitude earthquake slammed Haiti over the weekend, killing at least 1,300 and injuring thousands, one dire issue is quickly emerging: the lack of sufficient medical care. Per the
New York Times
, the nation already had a dearth of...
In Sperm Donor
Jul 31, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
In Sperm Donor 'Case Without Precedent,' a $10.7M Deal
Fertility doc accused of impregnating women with his own sperm agrees to settlement
- A Canadian fertility doctor who lost his medical license in 2019 after being accused of impregnating multiple women with the wrong sperm—sometimes his own—has now agreed to fork over millions in a "groundbreaking" settlement. The
reports that the $10.7 million offer from Norman Barwin...
Major Medical Groups Just
Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
Jul 26, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Major Medical Groups Just Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
AMA, dozens of others say health care workers should be required to get vaccinations
- As pushback continues against requiring coronavirus vaccines on cruise ships , in the NF L, and on college campuses , there's a new lobby for mandatory vaccination. The
and CNN report that 50-plus medical groups representing millions of health care professionals released a statement Monday calling for health care...
Doctor Who Died
of COVID Leaves
Behind 'Paper Babies'
May 21, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
Doctor Who Died of COVID Leaves Behind 'Paper Babies' Worth $20M
Thomas Newman's sports card and memorabilia collection is set to go to auction
- During his life, neurologist Thomas Newman enjoyed playing golf, spending time with his family, and acquiring some of the rarest and most valuable sports cards on Earth. Sadly, the doctor from Tampa, Fla., died of COVID in January at the age of 73, his wife, Nancy, tells CNN , but he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.