Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In Historic Move, Biden Joins UAW Picket Line
Stories 1 - 20 |
Confederate Statues Aren't the
Only Ones Coming Down
Sep 25, 2023 1:47 PM CDT
Confederate Statues Aren't the Only Ones Coming Down
Homage to late German cardinal comes down days after new sex-abuse allegations
- Confederate statues aren't the only ones being taken down: A statue of a deceased German cardinal was removed from its perch outside Essen Cathedral in western Germany on Monday, reports the AP , days after allegations of sexual abuse decades ago became public. The accusations against Cardinal Franz Hengsbach,...
Bust in Massachusetts Museum
May Be a Stolen Antiquity
Sep 5, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
Bust in Massachusetts Museum May Be a Stolen Antiquity
2nd statue allegedly stolen from Turkey is seized by NY authorities
- A bronze bust believed to depict the daughter of an ancient Roman emperor has been seized from an art museum in Massachusetts by New York authorities investigating antiquities stolen from Turkey, per the AP . The seizure is the latest in an ongoing investigation into a smuggling network involving objects looted...
Struck by Lightning,
Ancient Hercules Is Reborn
May 15, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Struck by Lightning, Ancient Hercules Is Reborn
Vatican experts are restoring this statue to its former glory
- Scaffolding in a niche of the Vatican Museums' Round Hall conceals from view the work of restorers who are removing centuries of grime from the largest known bronze statue of the ancient world: the gilded Hercules Mastai Righetti. For more than 150 years, the 13-foot-tall figure of the half-human Roman...
This Bust Is About to
Get Booted From US Capitol
Dec 15, 2022 7:45 AM CST
This Bust Is About to Get Booted From US Capitol
House passes legislation to remove head of SCOTUS justice who wrote Dred Scott ruling
- The House passed legislation Wednesday that calls for removing from the Capitol a bust of the US Supreme Court justice who wrote the infamous 1857 Dred Scott decision that held African Americans weren't citizens. The bust of Roger B. Taney, the nation's fifth chief justice, sits inside the...
Oct 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Fire Scorches Easter Island's Iconic Statues
Authorities say the damage is 'irreparable'
- A forest fire that swept through a national park has done irreversible damage to some of Easter Island's most famous landmarks, authorities say. The fire scorched around 250 acres of an area that's home to numerous moai statues, the
reports. The huge stone figures are sometimes called...
Grim End to Stolen
Statue of Famed
May 3, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Grim End to Stolen Statue of Famed Native American
Statue of ballerina Marjorie Tallchief appears to have been cut down, sold for scrap for $266
- A bronze statue of Native American ballerina Marjorie Tallchief, stolen last week from the Tulsa Historical Society & Museum, appears to have been cut into pieces and sold as scrap metal. Pieces of the statue—one of five outdoor statues depicting famous Native American ballerinas from Oklahoma known as the...
For Easter Island
Head, a 'Profoundly
Feb 22, 2022 12:32 PM CST
For Easter Island Head, a 'Profoundly Significant' Move
Moai held at Chile's national museum since 1878 to rejoin the Rapa Nui on Easter Island
- A century and a half after it was removed from Easter Island, a giant moai is about to head home. The 1,500-pound moai statue housed at Chile's National Museum of Natural History since 1878 will next week begin a five-day journey back to Easter Island , a Chilean territory,...
Jan 19, 2022 4:02 PM CST
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
It has stood outside NYC's American Museum of Natural History since 1940
: The upper half of the bronze Theodore Roosevelt outside a New York museum was removed by crane early Wednesday, after years of public debate. The rest of the monument, which is now surrounded by a tarp, will be taken away a bit at a time throughout the week before...
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting
Defendants Draws a Crowd
Dec 11, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Banksy T-Shirt Supporting Defendants Draws a Crowd
Artist puts $33 project on sale before trial over toppling of slave trader's statue
- Hundreds of people lined up Saturday in the English city of Bristol to get the latest work by elusive street artist Banksy—a T-shirt created to help four defendants charged over the toppling of a local statue of a slave trader. The gray shirt features the word Bristol above the...
Charlottesville Makes a Call
on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Dec 8, 2021 7:27 AM CST
Charlottesville Makes a Call on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Monument will be melted down to be made into arts project by local nonprofit
- It hasn't been clear what would happen to Charlottesville's Robert E. Lee statue, after it was hoisted off its stone pedestal in July, but the City Council has now made its decision: A local Black-led nonprofit will melt down the controversial Confederate monument and turn it into a...
White Nationalist Insignias
Deface Arthur Ashe Mural
Oct 21, 2021 7:35 PM CDT
White Nationalist Insignias Deface Arthur Ashe Mural
Richmond, whose racial atmosphere drove the tennis great away, plans to restore tribute
- Arthur Ashe moved away from his Virginia hometown as a teenager, weary of the racial segregation that extended to the city's tennis courts. "I left all that Richmond stood for at the time—its segregation, its conservatism, its parochial thinking, its slow progress toward equality, its lack of...
As the Statue Came Down
in Charlottesville, Cheers
Jul 10, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
As the Statue Came Down in Charlottesville, Cheers
Monument to Robert E. Lee is removed from pedestal in Va. park
- A Confederate monument that helped spark a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., has been hoisted off its stone pedestal. Work to remove the statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee began early Saturday morning. Crews were also expected to take down a second Confederate monument for Lt. Gen. Thomas...
Museum Visitors Will Help
Decide Fate of Statue
Jun 3, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
Museum Visitors Will Help Decide Fate of Statue
Likeness of slave trader Edward Colston was toppled last year in England
- A statue of a 17th-century slave trader that was toppled during anti-racism protests in the English city of Bristol is being displayed in a museum, where visitors will be asked to help decide its fate, per the AP . The bronze likeness of Edward Colston was pulled from its pedestal and...
Cops: Man Tried
to Illegally Sell
of Art' for $120K
Mar 20, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Tried to Illegally Sell 'Exceptional Work of Art' for $120K
Greek police believe 5th-century BC statue was taken from temple on or near Acropolis
- A man has been arrested on suspicion of antiquities smuggling for trying to sell an ancient marble statue of "exceptional artwork" that once likely adorned a temple on Athens' famed Acropolis or the slopes around it, Greek authorities said Friday. Police said the fifth-century BC statue was recovered following...
Trump's 'Heroes' Garden Is a
Bit Skimpy in One Respect
Jan 19, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Trump's 'Heroes' Garden Is a Bit Skimpy in One Respect
Proposed 'National Garden of American Heroes' is heavy on the guys, by a ratio of 4-to-1
- On Monday, President Trump issued one of his final executive orders that calls for the establishment of a "National Garden of American Heroes," what Business Insider describes as a collection of "statues of an eclectic range of candidates" that Trump first mentioned last summer. (By "eclectic,...
Oct 5, 2020 3:13 PM CDT
$250M Project Rethinks Monuments
Mellon Foundation donates $250M to telling a more inclusive history in public spaces
- With monuments under attack that honor Confederates , Christopher Columbus and others whose records are being reconsidered, a $250 million project will look for new approaches to reflecting the nation's history. The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation plans to reimagine existing monuments and develop new approaches to future installations, including statues,...
Say Hello to
Sep 16, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Say Hello to Slovenia's New Tribute to Melania
Torched wooden statue of first lady replaced with bronze near her hometown of Sevnica, Slovenia
- Same stump, slightly different first lady. After an arson attack "conceptualized as criticism" of President Trump, a wooden statue of Melania Trump burned down near her hometown in Slovenia on the Fourth of July has been replaced with a sturdier bronze version, according to one of the artists who...
The Nominations Are In
for Trump's Garden of Heroes
Aug 31, 2020 6:25 PM CDT
The Nominations Are In for Trump's Garden of Heroes
Suggestions from outside the administration are much more diverse
- George Floyd. Breonna Taylor. Sacagawea. The guy who invented air conditioning. Americans' suggestions of statues for President Trump's planned National Garden of American Heroes are in, the AP reports, and they're considerably different from the names the administration has locked in for many of the pedestals. The outside...
Canada's First PM
Hits the Ground Hard
Aug 30, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Canada's First PM Hits the Ground Hard
Statue of Sir John A. Macdonald takes a tumble in Montreal
- Marchers in Montreal toppled a statue of Canada's first prime minister Saturday and sent his head flying, the
reports. The event began peacefully with about 200 activists walking through downtown in support of changes to police funding—but when they reached Place du Canada, a large urban...
Japan Has Big Issue With
Statue of a Kneeling Man
Jul 29, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Japan Has Big Issue With Statue of a Kneeling Man
Tokyo questions whether bronze figure in South Korean garden represents Shinzo Abe
- A pair of new statues in South Korea of a man kneeling in front of a girl symbolizing a victim of sexual slavery by Japan's wartime military is the latest subject of diplomatic sensitivity between the countries, with Tokyo's government spokesperson questioning whether the male figure represents the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.