Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Team Can't Keep Up
With the Netherlands'
Dec 3, 2022 12:50 PM CST
US Team Can't Keep Up With the Netherlands'
3-1 loss knocks Americans out of World Cup
- The US team had never trailed in 2020 World Cup play, a stretch that ended in the 10th minute of its match Saturday—after the Americans had failed to score on their best chance of the day when Christian Pulisic had the Netherlands' goalkeeper one-on-one. Minutes later, Memphis Depay drilled...
Court: Squatters Can Stay in
Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Nov 23, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Court: Squatters Can Stay in Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Group moved into sanctioned Russian tech billionaire's mansion last month
- Squatters who moved into the Amsterdam mansion of a Russian tech billionaire last month can stay there for now, a Dutch court has decided. The five-story property in an upmarket neighborhood is owned by Arkady Volozh, co-founder of Yandex, Russia's biggest search engine, the
reports. Heleen over de...
Emboldened Wolves to
Be Shot at With Paintballs
Nov 4, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Emboldened Wolves to Be Shot at With Paintballs
Dutch officials complain wolves are becoming too tame, while activists allege a plot to kill
- A recent video showing a wolf strolling casually past a worried family of four in a national park in the Netherlands shows how some of the country's wolves have lost their fear of humans. Hoping to see that fear return, authorities are now turning to paintballs. A new decision...
Protesters Who Targeted
Nov 3, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
Protesters Who Targeted Masterpiece Sentenced
Judge did not want to deter others from protesting
The two protesters who targeted an iconic Johannes Vermeer painting last week have been sentenced by a Dutch court. They received sentences of two months behind bars, with one month suspended, the
reports. That was half of what the prosecutor had asked for, but the judge said she...
Security Threat Ruins
Princess' University-Life Plans
Oct 14, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Security Threat Ruins Princess' University-Life Plans
Dutch heir Princess Amalia, 18, is reportedly a target of criminal gangs
- It's not always easy being a princess, a fact the 18-year-old heir to the Dutch throne was just painfully reminded of. Last month, Princess Amalia moved into a shared student house in the heart of Amsterdam's historic canal district as she enrolled at the University of Amsterdam. But...
Dutch Judge Backs Worker Told
to Keep Webcam on All Day
Oct 10, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Dutch Judge Backs Worker Told to Keep Webcam on All Day
Court cites human rights decision in ruling against employer
- An employee of a US software company, when told to keep his webcam on all day, pointed out that he already was sharing his screen, and that his boss could monitor everything he was doing on his laptop. He argued that being watched on top of that seemed like an...
Spiders to Intentionally
Run Wild at Museum
Sep 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Spiders to Intentionally Run Wild at Museum
Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum is letting its creepy-crawlies have free reign over venue during exhibit
- At one of Europe's most famous museums, life is definitely imitating art until early next year. "The museum is teeming with animals this season!" promises Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum in its promotion for "Clara and Crawly Creatures," its new exhibit focusing on insects and other creeping...
His Autism Left Him Isolated,
Unemployable. Then, Hope
Sep 17, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
His Autism Left Him Isolated, Unemployable. Then, Hope
ProPublica reports on the innovative ITvitae program
- By the CDC's count , 1 in 44 8-year-olds were diagnosed with having an autism spectrum disorder in 2018. As Renee Dudley writes for ProPublica , those children eventually become job-seeking adults, and in great numbers. And while there are programs that seek to employ people with autism whose focused and...
Dutch City Bans
Sep 9, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
Dutch City Bans Meat Advertisements
Haarlem officials blame massive farms for worsening the climate
- A city in the Netherlands has become the first in the world to ban advertisements of meat in public places. Starting in 2024, the ads will be barred from appearing on buses, billboards, screens, etc., reports the
. Officials behind the move say it's intended to help the climate—...
Dutch Commando, 26, Dies
After Indianapolis Shooting
Aug 29, 2022 12:48 PM CDT
Dutch Commando, 26, Dies After Indianapolis Shooting
2 of his colleagues are still hospitalized
: One of three Dutch soldiers shot outside a hotel in Indianapolis early Saturday has died. His family and colleagues were at his side, the Netherlands Ministry of Defense said in a statement Monday. The ministry said the man's injured colleages, who were listed in critical but stable condition...
6 Dead After Truck Hits
Aug 28, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
6 Dead After Truck Hits Community Barbecue
7 were injured in Netherlands accident
- The death toll from an accident when a truck drove off a dike and slammed into a community barbecue in a village south of Rotterdam rose to six Sunday and police said a further seven people are in hospital, including one in critical condition. Police spokeswoman Mirjam Boers said the...
Avoids an Egging
Aug 3, 2022 12:56 PM CDT
Bezos' Superyacht Avoids an Egging
Y721 moved before masts are added, meaning historic Dutch bridge remains in place
- Dutch citizens have lost their reason for wishing to pelt Jeff Bezos and his superyacht with eggs . Though it was initially expected that a massive bridge in the city of Rotterdam would need to be dismantled to allow the billionaire's $500 million superyacht to reach the sea, the 417-foot...
Dutch Farmers Block Roads
With Piles of Manure
Jul 27, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Dutch Farmers Block Roads With Piles of Manure
They're protesting nitrogen emissions cuts, fearing they'll put them out of business
- Dutch farmers resumed protests at government plans to reduce nitrogen emissions Wednesday by dumping manure and garbage on highways and setting fires alongside roads. Traffic authorities said several roads in the central and eastern Netherlands were completely or partially blocked, requiring fire services to rush to clear roads as traffic...
in Surprising Way
Jul 21, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Art World's 'Indiana Jones' Recovers Relic in Surprising Way
Anonymous person gave to Arthur Brand stolen vials said to hold blood of Christ
- Thieves were inconspicuously locked inside a French church on the evening of June 1. According to police, they burst out the next morning with one of the most cherished Christian relics: two lead vials containing pieces of linen said to be covered in the blood of Jesus Christ—collected in...
Alleged Russian Spy Tried
to Infiltrate War Crimes Court
Jun 17, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Alleged Russian Spy Tried to Infiltrate War Crimes Court
Dutch authorities say man posed as Brazilian
- Dutch authorities say they've stopped a Russian spy from infiltrating the International Criminal Court, which is investigating alleged Russian war crimes in Ukraine and Georgia. The suspected operative of Russia's GRU military intelligence service posed as a 33-year-old Brazilian named Viktor Muller Ferreira, who'd successfully applied for...
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge,
He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Jun 7, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Sitting Near Cliff's Edge, He 'Spontaneously Slumped'
Paul Classen of the Netherlands dies after falling 50 feet near Virginia's McAfee Knob
- A Dutch hiker attempting to conquer a portion of the Appalachian Trail has died after falling from a cliff in Virginia. Paul "Grandmaster" Classen, 23, who was known to carry a chess set with him, fell 50 feet from a cliff just north of the iconic 3,200-foot-tall McAfee...
Marks on Teeth of 82 Bodies
Shed Light on Mass Grave
May 10, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Marks on Teeth of 82 Bodies Shed Light on Mass Grave
Burial site in Netherlands filled with Brits dates to War of the First Coalition in late 18th century
- Experts believe they finally know why 82 bodies were tossed in a mass grave in the Netherlands in the late 18th century. The skeletons discovered well-preserved in clay outside the historic walls of Vianen in November 2020 belong to mainly British soldiers who were there to fight against the French...
May 2, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
'Highly Resourceful' 4-Year-Old Crashes Mother's Car
Dutch police found unharmed boy wandering the streets in his pajamas
- When police in the Dutch city of Utrecht found a barefoot 4-year-boy in pajamas walking down a street Saturday morning, they took him to the station and gave him hot chocolate. Soon afterward, a report came in of a vehicle that had been abandoned after hitting two parked cars—and...
Diamond Dealer on His Robbery
Mar 11, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Diamond Dealer on His Robbery Plot: 'Incomprehensible'
He claimed robbers forced him to open vault
- A Dutch diamond dealer has been found guilty of a plot he says he now finds "incomprehensible." Martin Van Gelder, 55, staged an armed robbery of one of the family firm's stores in which insured diamonds worth almost $5 million were taken, the
reports. He claimed...
Police: Apple Store Hostage
Forced a Breakthrough
Feb 23, 2022 1:33 PM CST
Police: Apple Store Hostage Forced a Breakthrough
Amsterdam police say man fled, and the suspected gunman chased after him
In the aftermath of a hostage situation at an Apple Store in Amsterdam, details are emerging about the alleged gunman and a man police are framing as a hero. The AP cites Police Chief Frank Paauw as describing the suspect as an armed 27-year-old who demanded he be paid...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
Report Details 'Enormous, Virtually Irreversible' Loss in Amazon
The 'Nones' Are the 'Small but Mighty' Group Voting for Dems
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.