Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Muslim Student in NJ
Sues Over Teacher's Remark
Oct 25, 2022 6:53 PM CDT
Muslim Student in NJ Sues Over Teacher's Remark
He says he asked for more time to finish assignment and was told, 'We don't negotiate with terrorists'
: A Muslim student in New Jersey is suing a district and a teacher, saying he was "devastated and humiliated" last year at Ridgefield High School when he asked the teacher for more time to complete an assignment and was loudly told, "We don't negotiate with terrorists....
Don't Ignore the Suffering
in America's Prisons
Sep 11, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Don't Ignore the Suffering in America's Prisons
Writing for 'Philly Inquirer,' Cheryl Smith slams 'soul-chilling inhumanity' toward incarcerated
- The Eighth and 14th Amendments are meant to prevent cruel and unusual punishment, as well as discrimination and unequal treatment—including for the incarcerated. But that's not what's being applied in America's prisons, Cheryl Smith writes for the
, where she lays out the "soul-chilling...
Mom Sues Pharmacist
Kept Him From
Doling Out Meds
Aug 5, 2022 10:16 AM CDT
Mom Sues Pharmacist Whose 'Beliefs' Kept Him From Doling Out Meds
Andrea Anderson had to try 3 Minnesota pharmacies before she could get morning-after pill in 2019
- In January 2019, during sex with her partner of more than 10 years, Andrea Anderson discovered the condom they were using had broken, and she immediately got a prescription for Ella, an emergency contraceptive that delays or stops ovulation—i.e., the morning-after pill, which doesn't end a pregnancy...
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing'
Report on Minneapolis PD
Apr 27, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing' Report on Minneapolis PD
Investigation finds pattern of racial discrimination
- A state investigation launched after George Floyd’s killing in the custody of four Minneapolis police officers has determined that the department engages in a pattern of race discrimination. The state launched its investigation barely a week after Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, and Minnesota's Department of...
Mar 4, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Another GOP Governor Targets Transgender Athletes
Iowa's Kim Reynolds bars them from girls sports as a 'fairness issue'; LGBTQ activists push back
- Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds calls new legislation she signed Thursday that bars transgender athletes from taking part in girls and women's sports a "fairness issue"—an assertion that LGBTQ advocates disagree with, and one that legal experts say will likely end up in court. House File 2416...
She Was Being
Bullied. Her Nation's
Her to School
Feb 12, 2022 9:00 AM CST
She Was Being Bullied. Her Nation's Leader Walked Her to School
North Macedonia President Stevo Pendarovski steps up for little girl with Down syndrome
- Embla Ademi hasn't had an easy time of it. The 11-year-old has been the brunt of bullying at her elementary school in Gondivar, North Macedonia, due to the fact that she has Down syndrome , a genetic condition that can cause learning disabilities and health issues, and that's accompanied...
Sue Over Thwarted
in the Gut'
Jan 21, 2022 8:54 AM CST
Jewish Couple Sue Over Thwarted Adoption: 'Punched in the Gut'
Tenn. husband and wife say Christian-based agency wouldn't help them due to their religion
- Two years ago, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a law giving religious adoption agencies the OK to refuse to place a child if doing so would buck its "written religious or moral convictions or policies," per the
Knoxville News Sentinel
. Now, the state is seeing its first lawsuit...
Black Couple 'Whitewashed'
Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2021 7:01 AM CST
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Paul Austin and Tenisha Tate-Austin are suing their California appraiser, alleging racial bias
- A couple in California suspicious that their home appraised way under value because they're Black say they put their theory to the test by effectively "erasing" themselves from the home—and that what they discovered warrants the fair-housing lawsuit they filed this week against their appraiser. The
Governor Slams Tweet Offering
$500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Nov 19, 2021 1:38 PM CST
Governor Slams Tweet Offering $500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Moms for Liberty group offers reward for educators breaking state law on racism discussions
- Last week, New Hampshire's Department of Education announced it had set up an online portal where parents could lodge discrimination complaints against teachers. Now, the state's governor is slamming a local conservative group's response to that announcement, reports the AP . New Hampshire has a new law on...
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating'
KKK Note Files Complaint
Nov 12, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating' KKK Note Files Complaint
Black officer Keith Pool takes action after ex-Ohio police chief's 'offensive' actions in June
The first Black cop in a small Ohio town has filed a discrimination complaint against its police force. The charge with the state's Civil Rights Commission was filed by Keith Pool, who says officials in Sheffield Lake did nothing to keep ex-Chief Anthony Campo's racist behavior in...
He Says He Was
Fired for Being
a White Guy.
Oct 29, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
He Says He Was Fired for Being a White Guy. Now, $10M
Ex-hospital exec David Duvall wins wrongful termination suit against NC health care system
- For nearly five years, David Duvall served as a top marketing executive for a North Carolina health care system—until he says he was abruptly fired in the summer of 2018, over what he claims was a move to diversify top staff. Duvall sued, and on Tuesday, a federal jury...
With Ex-Actor Over
a Dressing Room
Oct 14, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
New Duel: With Ex-Actor Over a Dressing Room
Transgender actor: show wouldn't renew contract over request for gender-neutral dressing room
- A former
cast member has filed a discrimination complaint against the show, and their lawyer says it's one that should serve as "a wake-up call for the theater industry." Suni Reid, a Black transgender nonbinary actor who'd appeared with the New York, Chicago, and Los...
Blue Origin Staff
Oct 1, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Current, Former Blue Origin Staff Pen Scathing Essay
Former comms chief says Jeff Bezos' company ignores safety concerns
- "Blue Origin's culture sits on a foundation that ignores the plight of our planet, turns a blind eye to sexism, is not sufficiently attuned to safety concerns, and silences those who seek to correct wrongs." So claim 21 current and former employees of Jeff Bezos' spaceflight company...
New State Law Bars Schools
From 'Hairstyle Discrimination'
Aug 16, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
New State Law Bars Schools From 'Hairstyle Discrimination'
Illinois law is named after Jett Hawkins, 4
- Earlier this year, 4-year-old Jett Hawkins was told that his braids were a violation of the dress code at a private school in Chicago. On Friday, he was present as Illinois Gov. Jay Pritzker signed the Jett Hawkins Act, banning hairstyle discrimination in schools. The law requires the state board...
Reporter Says Paper Took
Her Off Sexual Assault Stories
Jul 22, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Reporter Says Paper Took Her Off Sexual Assault Stories
Felicia Sonmez says editors told her coverage would be a conflict of interest
- Washington Post politics reporter Felicia Sonmez has sued the paper and several of its current and former editors, the AP reports, saying she was discriminated against as a victim of sexual assault. In a suit filed Wednesday in DC Superior Court, Sonmez said she was not allowed to report on...
Things Get Worse for Team
After Tortilla-Throwing Incident
Jul 2, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Things Get Worse for Team After Tortilla-Throwing Incident
Calif. high school basketball players lose regional title over incident
- A California high school basketball team embroiled in controversy after an incident involving a rival team has had its regional title yanked away. Coronado High School's head basketball coach, JD Laaperi, had already been fired after Coronado supporters at a June 19 championship game threw tortillas at the team...
We're Ignoring 'Lookism,'
and It Isn't Right
Jun 25, 2021 7:42 AM CDT
We're Ignoring 'Lookism,' and It Isn't Right
Writing for the 'NYT,' David Brooks takes on discrimination against the unattractive
- Sexism and racism are bad, but there's another "ism" that David Brooks is concerned about, and one for which there doesn't seem to be much legal recourse: "lookism," the term Brooks uses in his newest op-ed for the
New York Times
to describe "prejudice...
She Was Almost
at Bat. Then: 'Does
Anyone Have Scissors?'
May 14, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
She Was Almost at Bat. Then: 'Does Anyone Have Scissors?'
Black teen softball player Nicole Pyles cut her hair rather than remove hair beads as umps asked
- A Black teen softball player from Durham, North Carolina, says she was humiliated at a game last month in an incident she says led to a discriminatory ask and an impromptu haircut. In an interview with the Southern Coalition for Social Justice cited by the
New York Times
, 16-year-old Nicole...
Apr 24, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Another State Has Just Banned Transgender Athletes
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signs bill barring transgender students in K-12 from playing sports
- A bill banning transgender students from taking part in K-12 sports swept through the Alabama House and Senate, and now it's got the governor's signature on it. The AP reports that Kay Ivey signed HB 391 on Friday, legislation that states "athletic events allowing competition by one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.