Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Trump Not 'Personally
Bothered' by NK Launches
May 27, 2019 6:46 AM CDT
Trump Not 'Personally Bothered' by NK Launches
He breaks with host during Japan visit
- President Trump said Monday that he is not "personally bothered" by recent short-range missile tests that North Korea conducted this month, breaking with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who is hosting the president on four-day state visit full of pageantry. Standing beside Trump at a news conference after hours...
Trump Posts Surprising
Tweet on Japan Trip
May 26, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Trump Posts Surprising Tweet on Japan Trip
Meanwhile, Shinzo Abe is wooing him with golf and cheeseburgers
- President Trump posted a tweet that likely surprised his Japanese hosts before they courted him Sunday with cheeseburgers, sumo-wrestling, and golf: "North Korea fired off some small weapons, which disturbed some of my people, and others, but not me," Trump tweeted Saturday, referring to short-range weapons that are...
Minister Asks World
to Write Japanese
May 22, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
Minister Asks World to Write Japanese Names Differently
Last name should come first, he says
- Japanese foreign minister Taro Kono—first name Taro, last name Kono—would like the world's media to start calling him Kono Taro. The minister said Tuesday that, as a new royal era dawns in Japan, it is time for the international media to start putting the family name first...
Abe Cites Nobel Policy in Not
Answering Question on Trump
Feb 18, 2019 2:12 PM CST
Abe Cites Nobel Policy in Not Answering Question on Trump
Japanese PM won't confirm or deny he nominated Trump
- Did Japanese PM Shinzo Abe nominate President Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize in advance of the Jan. 31 deadline? Abe isn't saying, though he wasn't entirely silent on the topic. He was asked about it in Parliament Monday, days after Trump asserted that Abe nominated him and...
Trump for Nobel: Report
Feb 17, 2019 9:58 AM CST
Abe Nominated Trump for Nobel: Report
But reportedly at the US government's request
- President Trump on Friday said that Japanese PM Shinzo Abe had nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize, and had given him "the most beautiful copy" of the five-page document, but Japanese newspaper
is reporting on Sunday that Abe did so only at the request of the US...
Japan's Abe on
Death: 'We Failed'
Feb 7, 2019 12:43 PM CST
Japan's Abe on 10-Year-Old's Death: 'We Failed'
Girl had complained of abuse by father, but she was returned to her home
- Prime Minister Shinzo Abe stood before Japan's parliament Thursday and said the government had failed a 10-year-old girl. Mia Kurihara was found dead in the bathroom of her home near Tokyo last month, and both her parents are now facing charges. An autopsy didn't reveal a cause of...
Enduring Image of the G7:
Merkel Staring Down Trump
Jun 10, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
Enduring Image of the G7: Merkel Staring Down Trump
German chancellor's Instagram account posts photo of tense leaders at summit
- Amid the inevitable landslide of photos that emerges from any G7 summit, there's one in particular from the latest contentious such event that's raising some eyebrows, and it comes courtesy of the German chancellor's official Instagram account. In it, Angela Merkel sternly stares down President Trump as...
Trump: 'I Don't Think I Have to
Prepare Much' for Kim Summit
Jun 7, 2018 4:23 PM CDT
Trump: 'I Don't Think I Have to Prepare Much' for Kim Summit
And more big lines from president's appearance with Japan PM Shinzo Abe
- Heading into his North Korea summit with characteristic bravado, President Donald Trump said Thursday that "attitude" is more important than preparation as he looks to negotiate an accord with Kim Jong Un to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula, the AP reports. Preparing to depart Washington for the next week's...
Netanyahu Hosted Japan's PM
for Dinner. The Dessert Stunned
May 9, 2018 9:46 AM CDT
Netanyahu Hosted Japan's PM for Dinner. The Dessert Stunned
Not in a good way, though, as shoes are looked down upon in Japanese culture
- On Monday, Israeli celebrity chef Segev Moshe proudly posted a pic on Instagram showing off his latest creation: what looked to be a man's shoe filled with a "chocolate selection from the world." Per the
, it was Moshe's dessert offering for a May 2...
Japan's Abe on Shaky Ground
as He Returns to Meet Trump
Apr 16, 2018 2:21 PM CDT
Japan's Abe on Shaky Ground as He Returns to Meet Trump
Japanese leader is plagued by scandals amid calls for his resignation
- Japan's Shinzo Abe became the first foreign leader to meet President Trump after the US election, and he returns for another face-to-face on Tuesday. As CNN notes, Abe sorely needs to score some points with voters back home. Trump may be facing strong political headwinds of his own, but...
Trump, Abe Make
Fishy Faux Pas
Nov 6, 2017 6:42 AM CST
Trump, Abe Make Fishy Faux Pas
- It's probably one of the most-repeated phrases when teaching kids about how to feed fish: just a pinch. It's a directive President Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe most definitely did not follow while the two visited the Akasaka palace's koi carp pond Monday. The
In Tokyo, Trump Blasts 'Weak
Rhetoric' of Past on N. Korea
Nov 6, 2017 5:57 AM CST
In Tokyo, Trump Blasts 'Weak Rhetoric' of Past on N. Korea
His 'very strong' rhetoric includes saying the North is 'threat to the civilized world'
- President Trump ratcheted up the pressure on North Korea on Monday, refusing to rule out eventual military action and declaring that the US "will not stand" for Pyongyang menacing America or its Asian allies. Trump, in Tokyo on the first stop of his lengthy Asia trip, denounced North Korea...
Re-Elected Japanese PM
Plans Big Change to Military
Oct 23, 2017 4:13 AM CDT
Re-Elected Japanese PM Plans Big Change to Military
Abe has promised a hard line on North Korea
- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe cruised to re-election victory Sunday on a promise to take a hard line against Pyongyang, and he says the country will now "dramatically show counter-measures against the North Korea threat." Abe said Monday that action against North Korea will be discussed with...
N. Korea's Spies
Took Her in '77.
to Help Find
Oct 13, 2017 12:39 PM CDT
N. Korea's Spies Took Her in '77. Trump Wants to Help Find Answers
President to meet with parents of Japan's Megumi Yokota, snatched at age 13 to serve as tutor
- Forty years ago, a Japanese teen was abducted while walking home, one of at least 17 people kidnapped by North Korea in the '70s and '80s to serve as language and cultural tutors to the nation's spies. Now, President Trump has plans to meet with Megumi Yokota'...
Seoul Responded to
Latest Pyongyang Launch
Sep 15, 2017 5:15 AM CDT
Seoul Responded to Latest Pyongyang Launch Within Minutes
Test shows Guam is now in range, experts say
- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called for "direct actions" against North Korea from oil suppliers China and Russia after the country launched another missile over Japan early Friday. China and Russia "must indicate their intolerance for these reckless missile launches by taking direct actions of their own,"...
N. Korea Launches Missile
That Lands Near Japan
Jul 28, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
N. Korea Launches Missile That Lands Near Japan
It traveled 45 minutes and 620 miles
- North Korea continues to defy warnings to quit messing with missile tests, this time with an apparent launch into the sea near Japan, the AP and Reuters report. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the missile, which was launched Friday night, looks to have landed in the country's exclusive...
Trump Meets With Xi Jinping,
Calls Out North Korean 'Menace'
Jul 8, 2017 11:17 AM CDT
Trump Meets With Xi Jinping, Calls Out North Korean 'Menace'
More from the G20 summit
- President Donald Trump assailed North Korea as a "problem and menace" Saturday as he met with Asian allies on the sidelines of an international summit to find consensus on next steps after Pyongyang's recent test-launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile. "Something has to be done about it,...
Japan PM Issues
About North Korea
Apr 13, 2017 8:10 AM CDT
Japan PM Issues Sarin-Gas Warning About North Korea
As concern mounts that another missile test is imminent
- Prime Minister Shinzo Abe warned Thursday that North Korea may be capable of firing a missile loaded with sarin nerve gas toward Japan, as international concern mounted that a missile or nuclear test by the authoritarian state could be imminent. "There is a possibility that North Korea is already...
Mar 28, 2017 7:38 AM CDT
Another Test Increases Worries Over North Korea
Pyongyang performs second ballistic missile engine test
- "North Korea is continuing its activities to sophisticate its missile capability," a rep for South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff says, and the latest report from CNN seems to back that up. It cites two unnamed defense officials in reporting that North Korea performed another test of...
Japan: North Korean Missile
Landed 190 Miles From Coast
Mar 6, 2017 12:12 AM CST
Japan: North Korean Missile Landed 190 Miles From Coast
Tokyo says it was an 'extremely dangerous action'
- North Korea on Monday fired four banned ballistic missiles that flew about 620 miles, with three of them landing in waters that Japan claims as its exclusive economic zone, South Korean and Japanese officials say. The move was an apparent reaction to huge military drills by Washington and Seoul that...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.