Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Grand Ole Opry (Not That One)
to Uphold Confederate Flag Ban
Nov 28, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Grand Ole Opry (Not That One) to Uphold Confederate Flag Ban
Scotland's most popular country music club, in Glasgow, was using Confederate flag in ceremony
- The Grand Ole Opry has been embroiled in a controversy over the Confederate flag—but it's not the Tennessee venue, and the controversy appears to be over, at least for now. The BBC reports that members of Scotland's most famous country music club, of the same name as...
SCOTUS on NC's Confederate
License Plate Case: Nope
Jun 12, 2023 11:44 AM CDT
SCOTUS on NC's Confederate License Plate Case: Nope
Court previously ruled that Texas was within its rights to stop issuing the plates
- The Supreme Court said Monday it won't review North Carolina's decision to stop issuing specialty license plates with the Confederate flag . As is typical, the court didn't comment in declining to hear the case, which challenged the state's decision. The dispute was one of many the...
Rioter With Confederate Flag
Gets Prison in Capitol Attack
Feb 9, 2023 4:15 PM CST
Rioter With Confederate Flag Gets Prison in Capitol Attack
Kevin Seefried stormed the building with his son
- A Delaware man who threatened a Black police officer with a pole attached to a Confederate battle flag as he stormed the US Capitol was sentenced on Thursday to three years in prison. Kevin Seefried, 53, tearfully apologized for his participation in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot before US District...
Rioter Who Brought
Convicted With Son
Jun 15, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Rioter Who Brought Confederate Flag Convicted With Son
Judge finds Kevin and Hunter Seefried guilty on felony count
: A federal judge on Wednesday convicted a Confederate flag-toting man and his son of charges that they stormed the US Capitol together on Jan. 6, 2021, to obstruct Congress from certifying President Biden's electoral victory. US District Judge Trevor McFadden, a Donald Trump appointee, delivered the verdict after...
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot,
Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Feb 10, 2022 6:12 PM CST
Senate Candidate Smokes Pot, Burns Confederate Flag in Ads
Louisiana's Gary Chambers Jr. is making waves despite limited budget
- A Louisiana candidate for the US Senate is making waves with his ads, which show him smoking marijuana and burning the Confederate flag. Baton Rouge community activist Gary Chambers Jr.—who had a viral moment in 2020 when he called out a school board member for online shopping during...
Pride Flag Replaced With
Confederate Flag on Campus
Aug 11, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Pride Flag Replaced With Confederate Flag on Campus
Police investigating what Virginia Tech's Wesley religious center calls a 'hate crime'
- A gay pride flag has been stolen from a religious center at Virginia Tech for the third time in two weeks, and this time a Confederate flag was erected in its place. Police in Blacksburg, Va., are investigating the vandalism at the Wesley center, which campus minister Bret Gresham spotted...
North Carolina Says No More
Confederate License Plates
Feb 2, 2021 3:10 PM CST
North Carolina Says No More Confederate License Plates
DMV says decision adheres to ruling in 1998 case involving Sons of Confederate Veterans
- The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles is no longer issuing specialty license plates featuring the Confederate battle flag, according to a statement. The agency said the removal of the license plate, issued to members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans organization, took effect Jan. 1, the
StarNews of Wilmington
FBI Is Trying to Track Down
Rioter With Confederate Flag
Jan 11, 2021 2:45 PM CST
FBI Is Trying to Track Down Rioter With Confederate Flag
'Desecration' stunned lawmakers, historians
- One of the most jarring images from last week's Capitol insurrection was that of a man walking near the Senate chamber carrying a Confederate battle flag—156 years after a failed Confederate assault on Washington, DC. The FBI, which arrested several high-profile rioters over the weekend, says it is...
Mississippi Voters Pick
New Flag Over No Flag
Nov 4, 2020 12:03 AM CST
Mississippi Voters Pick New Flag Over No Flag
It replaces retired Confederate-themed flag
- Mississippi will fly a new state flag with a magnolia and the phrase "In God We Trust," with voters approving the design Tuesday. It replaces a Confederate-themed flag state lawmakers retired months ago as part of the national reckoning over racial injustice. The magnolia flag was the only...
New Mississippi Flag
Will Be One of These 2
Aug 26, 2020 2:19 AM CDT
New Mississippi Flag Will Be One of These 2
It's come down to a shield or a magnolia
- As Mississippi replaces its former flag that had the Confederate battle emblem, five proposals were literally run up a flagpole Tuesday. A group then narrowed the choice to two designs: One with a shield and one with a magnolia. “When you fly a flag up a flagpole, it sure...
Mississippi Group Demands
Vote on Reviving Flag
Aug 17, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Mississippi Group Demands Vote on Reviving Flag
'What the legislators did, in my opinion, was 100% wrong'
- Some Mississippi residents are rebelling against the Legislature's decision to retire a Confederate-themed state flag , and they are being encouraged by conservative legislators who fought the change. Organizers of a group called Let Mississippi Vote said Monday that they are starting an initiative to put the retired flag and...
Mosquitoes and Teddy Bears:
Mississippi Narrows Flag Ideas
Aug 12, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Mosquitoes and Teddy Bears: Mississippi Narrows Flag Ideas
Beer cans and guitars appear to be ruled out, too, for state's new design
- The new state flag for Mississippi cannot have a Confederate symbol on it. It must have the words, "In God We Trust." But there are basically no other constraints on the design, which was clear from the almost 3,000 possibilities submitted by the public, the AP reports....
Couple in Confederate
Flag Flap Finds a Solution
Aug 5, 2020 6:55 PM CDT
Couple in Confederate Flag Flap Finds a Solution
Greg and Kjersten Offenbecker want to show their Scandinavian pride
- A couple who came under attack for displaying the Norwegian flag outside their mid-Michigan inn because some observers mistook it for a Confederate flag have found another way to show their Scandinavian pride, the AP reports. Greg and Kjersten Offenbecker, who own The Nordic Pineapple in St. Johns, outside Lansing,...
Owners Take Down
Jul 30, 2020 8:58 AM CDT
Frustrated B&B Owners Take Down 'Confederate' Flag
It was actually a Norwegian flag flying outside a Michigan inn
- It's not so outlandish that a bed-and-breakfast named the Nordic Pineapple would fly a Norwegian flag at its front entrance. But a Michigan B&B has found out that vexillology isn't a strong point for locals, dozens of whom have mistaken the flag for a Confederate version. The...
Pentagon Bans Confederate
Flag, but Not in a Typical Way
Jul 17, 2020 12:50 PM CDT
Pentagon Bans Confederate Flag, but Not in a Typical Way
New policy lists what flags can be shown at military installations, not which ones can't
- After weeks of wrangling, the Pentagon on Friday will ban displays of the Confederate flag on military installations, in a carefully worded policy that doesn't mention the word "ban" or that specific flag. The policy, laid out in a memo obtained by the AP , was described by officials...
Greets NASCAR Fans
Jul 15, 2020 7:16 PM CDT
Confederate Flag Greets NASCAR Fans
A plane also flew a flag reading 'Defund NASCAR'
- Fans are trickling into Bristol Motor Speedway for Wednesday night's All-Star race in NASCAR's largest event with spectators since the coronavirus pandemic shut sports down in March. They were greeted by a plane flying over the Tennessee track that was pulling a banner of the Confederate flag, which...
Trump: 'More White People'
Are Killed by Police
Jul 14, 2020 6:45 PM CDT
Trump: 'More White People' Are Killed by Police
He defends Confederate flag in CBS interview
- President Trump was asked about the Confederate flag and police violence toward African Americans in a CBS interview Tuesday—and his responses seem unlikely to ease tensions. When interviewer Catherine Herridge asked the president why Black people "are still dying at the hands of law enforcement in this country,...
Branches Pressure Esper
for Confederate Flag Ban
Jul 6, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Branches Pressure Esper for Confederate Flag Ban
It's the US flag that's placed on coffins, draft policy says
- A draft policy circulated by Pentagon leaders would ban the display of the Confederate flag in Defense Department workplaces or public areas by service members and civilian personnel. If approved, the policy would bring the other military services in line with the Marine Corps, which banned Confederate displays on its...
Mississippi's Flag Is History
Jun 30, 2020 7:26 PM CDT
Mississippi's Flag Is History
Governor signs bill to retire last state flag with Confederate emblem
- Some 155 years after the last battle of the Civil War, the Confederate battle flag no longer features on any state flags. Mississippi's flag, the last in the nation to incorporate the Confederate emblem, became history Tuesday evening when Gov. Tate Reeves signed a bill to retire the flag...
After Historic Vote,
Will Be Scrapped
Jun 29, 2020 4:11 AM CDT
After Historic Vote, Mississippi Flag Will Be Scrapped
Mississippi lawmakers pass bill to choose a new one
- It's almost done: Mississippi lawmakers on Sunday passed a bill to change the state flag. After voting Saturday to suspend legislative deadlines and file the bill, the GOP-controlled state legislature held debates on the bill Sunday and voted, with the House passing the bill 91-23 and the Senate then...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.