Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
'Truly Extraordinary Dig' Offers
Glimpse at Mysterious Period
Mar 19, 2023 7:15 AM CDT
'Truly Extraordinary Dig' Offers Glimpse at Mysterious Period
Cemetery in northern England used through transition from Roman to Anglo-Saxon control
- Archaeologists say they've made a "once-in-a-lifetime" discovery in uncovering an ancient cemetery used by two cultures in northern England. They were called to the site in Leeds last year ahead of a commercial development. As structures from the Roman and Anglo-Saxon periods had been found nearby, they thought...
Developers Must Rebuild
Old Inn They Destroyed
Mar 17, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
Developers Must Rebuild Old Inn They Destroyed
Brick by brick, says the court order in the UK
- The Punch Bowl Inn on a quiet country road in Lancashire, England, had stood for 300 years when its owners took a bulldozer to it in 2021. They must regret doing any such thing, and not just because of reports suggesting they disturbed the building's rumored ghosts. As the...
'Bird' Heard in Home's Walls
Was Something Else Entirely
Mar 14, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
'Bird' Heard in Home's Walls Was Something Else Entirely
Animal rescue called off after UK resident discovered creature was a stuffed 'Harry Potter' toy
- It can be quite distressing to discover there's a wild animal trapped in the walls of your house, as one UK resident thought had happened in their case. Per UPI , a call was recently made to Cleethorpes Wildlife Rescue about a bird in such a predicament in a North...
Days After Missing Aristocrat's
Arrest, Baby's Remains Found
Mar 2, 2023 6:11 AM CST
Days After Missing Aristocrat's Arrest, Baby's Remains Found
Police believe infant was the child of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon
- A strange tale out of Britain came to a heartbreaking conclusion Wednesday when the remains of a baby believed to be the infant of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon were found in a wooded area, two days after Marten and Gordon were found and arrested after 53 days on the...
Body Found in Missing Mom
Case That Became a 'Circus'
Feb 20, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Body Found in Missing Mom Case That Became a 'Circus'
Nicola Bulley's disappearance brought out amateur sleuths and 'shocking' rumors
- The search for a missing woman in the UK took a grim turn Sunday when a body was discovered in a river about a mile from where Nicola Bulley was last known to be three weeks ago. Lancashire Police said Bulley's family was notified of the discovery in the...
Ex-Cop Who 'Brazenly Raped'
a Dozen Women Gets Life
Feb 7, 2023 1:02 PM CST
Ex-Cop Who 'Brazenly Raped' a Dozen Women Gets Life
David Carrick was one of UK's worst serial rapists, involved in attacks that spanned 17 years
- An ex-London police officer was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison with a minimum term of 30 years for raping and sexually assaulting a dozen women over a 17-year period. David Carrick, 48, formerly of the Metropolitan Police, admitted last month he was a serial rapist in what prosecutors described...
Hundreds of Child
Are Missing in UK
Jan 25, 2023 1:09 PM CST
Hundreds of Child Asylum-Seekers Are Missing in UK
Lawmakers fear they've been seized by traffickers, demand investigation
- Hundreds of child asylum-seekers have disappeared from government-approved accommodations in Britain within the last two years, Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick said Tuesday. The unaccompanied minors were housed in contracted hotels as the usual asylum accommodation system was overwhelmed . "Out of the 4,600 unaccompanied children that have been accommodated...
King Charles Coronation
Includes Concert, 'Big Lunch'
Jan 23, 2023 11:48 AM CST
King Charles Coronation Includes Concert, 'Big Lunch'
Monarch, to be officially crowned weekend of May 6-8, wants the public to participate
- The itinerary for King Charles III's coronation has been set, and it's a celebration that will spread out over three days.
offer a rundown of scheduled events for May 6-8, starting on that Saturday with a procession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey for...
Holiday Text Hits Painful Snag
Dec 29, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Holiday Text Hits Painful Snag
Patients mistakenly received notice that they had 'aggressive lung cancer'
- The execution of an English medical office's plan to send a text bidding its patients to have happy holidays made that highly unlikely—at least for an hour or so. On Friday, Askern Medical Practice in Doncaster sent registered customers a text message informing them that they had an...
Palace Aide Apologizes
for Pressing Black Guest
Dec 16, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Palace Aide Apologizes for Pressing Black Guest
Ngozi Fulani, a British citizen, says she was repeatedly asked where she was 'really from'
- An honorary Buckingham Palace aide who repeatedly asked a Black guest at a reception where she's "really from" apologized Friday in a meeting of the two that a royal statement described as "filled with warmth and understanding." Ngozi Fulani accepted Susan Hussey's apology, the statement...
Day Playing on Icy
Lake Ends in Tragedy
Dec 12, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Day Playing on Icy Lake Ends in Tragedy
3 young boys die, 4th critically injured after they fell through ice in Solihull, England
- Three young boys are dead and one is in critical condition after they fell through the ice on a lake in Solihull, England. At a presser Sunday evening, Richard Stanton of the West Midlands Fire Service said that the department responded around 2:40pm local time that day, along with...
Kane Misses Penalty,
and France Moves On
Dec 10, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Kane Misses Penalty, and France Moves On
England's captain has a goal but goes high on a penalty that would have tied the game
- Late in the England-France quarterfinal match at the World Cup in Qatar on Saturday, Harry Kane had a penalty kick and a chance to tie the score. England's most prolific scorer in its history, and its captain, had come through uncountable times before, but he sent his shot well...
3 Nations Team Up
on 'Ambitious' Fighter Jet
Dec 9, 2022 9:06 AM CST
3 Nations Team Up on 'Ambitious' Fighter Jet
UK, Japan, Italy will develop 6th-generation GCAP warplane
- A new warplane is in the works, and Britain, Italy, and Japan are the countries behind it. CNN reports that development will soon be underway on a sixth-generation fighter jet under the Global Combat Air Program (GCAP), an "ambitious endeavor" to fend off increasing "threats and aggression,"...
Dig Unearths Find That 'Has
Nudged the Course of History'
Dec 7, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Dig Unearths Find That 'Has Nudged the Course of History'
Medieval grave held gold, jewels, and perhaps one of the first female early Christian leaders in Britain
- On one of the last days of an otherwise unexciting 10-week dig in Britain's Northamptonshire in April, Levente-Bence Balazs spotted teeth. Then the dig leader saw gold. What Balazs, of the Museum of London Archaeology, suspected to be a rubbish pit was, in fact, a grave dating back 1,...
It's a Draw
Nov 25, 2022 5:05 PM CST
US Outplays England, but It's a Draw
Americans have to beat Iran on Tuesday to advance
- The US men's team outdid the heavily favored English team in every way but scoring during their World Cup match Friday, battling to a 0-0 draw. As far as the tournament goes, the match didn't settle much: The US will have to beat Iran on Tuesday to reach...
Runaway Orbs Cause
Chaos in London
Nov 3, 2022 12:39 PM CDT
Runaway Orbs Cause Chaos in London
Giant balls that broke away from art installation in high winds made for a surreal scene
- When Morrissey sang about "panic on the streets of London," we imagine he likely wasn't envisioning giant orbs bouncing down the thoroughfares, wreaking havoc on traffic. But that's exactly what happened earlier this week, when a pair of enormous balls broke free of an art installation...
Harry Potter Character's
'Nuisance' Memorial Is Saved
Nov 3, 2022 11:02 AM CDT
Harry Potter Character's 'Nuisance' Memorial Is Saved
Dobby's admirers are asked not to leave trinkets that threaten wildlife on Wales beach
- A stone memorial for a house-elf doesn't just exist in the final
book. Fans of the series have created a real-life memorial for the fictional Dobby—a former servant/slave freed by Harry, whom he pays back with his life—on the beach in Wales where his death...
UK Immigration Center Attacked
Oct 30, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
UK Immigration Center Attacked
Man threw firebombs, causing one minor injury, then killed himself, police say
- An attacker threw firebombs at a processing center for migrants at an English port on Sunday, causing a small fire and one minor injury, police said. He then drove away from the installation in Dover and killed himself, Reuters reports. He had driven up in an SUV, gotten out of...
These 2 Photos Were
Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
Oct 25, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
These 2 Photos Were Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
A lot has happened in Britain in the interim
- They're two photos taken exactly seven weeks apart, capturing the traditional and ceremonial rites of the monarch meeting the British prime minister-in-waiting to ask them to form a new government. They're also bookends, per the AP . Between the taking of the first and of the second, much elapsed,...
Believe It or
Not, Some World
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Believe It or Not, Some World Leaders Lasted Just Minutes
Liz Truss made it only 45 days as UK prime minister, but others have her beat
- Liz Truss didn't even make it two months into her stint as British prime minister, announcing her resignation Thursday amid economic turmoil in the United Kingdom. That makes her the shortest-serving PM in the nation's history. While most world leaders usually stick it out for far longer than...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.