Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New Year's Eve
Stories 1 - 20 |
Women Report Being Abused
in New Year's Eve Crowd
Jan 8, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Women Report Being Abused in New Year's Eve Crowd
Italy asks victims to file reports over crimes in Milan square
- Italian security officials on Saturday appealed to women or girls who think they were sexually abused or molested by mobs during New Year's Eve celebrations in a square near Milan's cathedral to file complaints with police. Several women have told authorities they were groped by young men that...
Widow Says Cop Shot Man Who
Fired Gun to Celebrate NYE
Jan 5, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Widow Says Cop Shot Man Who Fired Gun to Celebrate NYE
She says celebratory gunfire is a tradition in their Ohio neighborhood
- Marquetta Williams says it is a tradition in her Canton, Ohio neighborhood to fire guns in the air at New Year's Eve—but this year, her husband's celebratory gunfire was answered with police bullets. The widow says 46-year-old James Williams was killed when an officer opened fire without...
Twins Were Born 15 Minutes
Apart in Different Years
Jan 3, 2022 6:08 PM CST
Twins Were Born 15 Minutes Apart in Different Years
'This was definitely one of the most memorable deliveries of my career'
- Baby girl Aylin Yolanda Trujillo has an older brother who was born the year before she was—which would be unremarkable if he wasn't her twin. Aylin was born at Natividad Medical Center in Salinas, California, in the first minute of Jan. 1, 2022, exactly 15 minutes after fraternal...
21 Workers Stranded On Icy
Tramway on New Year's Eve
Jan 2, 2022 5:45 AM CST
21 Workers Stranded On Icy Tramway on New Year's Eve
They were trying to get home but were stuck overnight
- New Mexico search and rescue crews used ropes and helicopters Saturday to rescue 21 people who were stranded overnight in two tram cars after an iced-over cable caused the cars to get stuck high up in the Sandia Mountains overlooking Albuquerque, per the AP . Lt. Robert Arguellas a Bernalillo County...
Live Message to
Bill de Blasio:
Jan 1, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Andy Cohen's Live Message to Bill de Blasio: 'Sayonara, Sucker!'
TV personality went on live NYE rant about outgoing NYC mayor during CNN broadcast
- Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper did tequila shots while toasting Betty White during their New Year's Eve broadcast on CNN, but the liquor may have gone a bit to Cohen's head. Minutes after the ball dropped in Times Square, ushering in 2022, Eric Adams was sworn in as...
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible
Event for the World to See'
Dec 31, 2021 12:00 PM CST
NYC Gears Up for 'Responsible Event for the World to See'
Only 15K in-person spectators, masked and vaccinated, will be allowed at NYE in Times Square
- New York City readied on Friday to embrace the new year—and bid good riddance to another pandemic-marred 12 months—as it prepared to revive its annual New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square. It did so as an uneasy nation tried to muster optimism that the worst days...
Days After 10K Broke Record,
Australia Has 32K New Cases
Dec 31, 2021 2:58 AM CST
Days After 10K Broke Record, Australia Has 32K New Cases
PM says country is stronger despite lockdowns, fires, floods, mouse plagues
- New coronavirus infections soared again in Australia on Friday to a record of more than 32,000, just days after surpassing 10,000 for the first time. Experts say the explosion is being driven by the highly contagious omicron variant and a recent relaxation of restrictions in Sydney and other...
NYC to Welcome Back
Vaccinated NYE Revelers
Nov 16, 2021 7:38 PM CST
NYC to Welcome Back Vaccinated NYE Revelers
It'll be 'further evidence to the world that we are 100% back,' mayor says
- Two years after an unsuspecting crowd in New York City welcomed 2020, the Times Square ball drop will return to something approaching normal—at least for the vaccinated. Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday that crowds will be welcomed back for a " big, strong, full strength" New Year's...
She Decided to Exit 2020
by Running—for 24 Hours
Jan 6, 2021 11:20 AM CST
She Decided to Exit 2020 by Running—for 24 Hours
Jen A. Miller describes a day spent running, walking, sleeping in misery and joy
- However you welcomed 2021, it almost certainly wasn't like Jen A. Miller did: by running and walking. For 24 hours. In a piece for the
New York Times
, Miller explains that she signed up for the Hainesport Hundred and 24 Hour Endurance Run in Hainesport Township, NJ, "because...
Cabbie Drives Drunken
Fare Straight to Police
Jan 3, 2021 3:39 PM CST
Cabbie Drives Drunken Fare Straight to Police
The passenger refused to wear a mask
- A New Year’s reveler’s refusal to wear a mask in a taxi cost him $690 in fines and some time in the drunk tank in Victoria, British Columbia, the Powell River Peak reports. The man, who entered a cab about 1am on Friday, “belligerently” refused to wear...
His NYE Party
Jan 2, 2021 1:10 PM CST
Trump Skips His NYE Party at Mar-a-Lago
The president returned to Washington early Thursday
- Attendees hoping to see Donald Trump during a New Year’s Eve party at the president’s private Palm Beach club had to make due with “Mr. Trump’s Wedge Salad,” which was on the menu along with cheese tortellini and Wagyu beef. Trump, who had been staying...
Carbon Monoxide Kills 8
at New Year's Eve Party
Jan 1, 2021 11:25 AM CST
Carbon Monoxide Kills 8 at New Year's Eve Party
'8 young lives lost' in a cottage in Tribistovo, Bosnia
- Eight young men and women have died in a cottage in southwest Bosnia, apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning during a New Year's Eve celebration, police said Friday. A local police spokeswoman tells the AP that police responded to a call around 10am local time and went to a house...
Man's Head 'Torn Off' in
NYE Firework Incident
Jan 1, 2021 8:25 AM CST
Man's Head 'Torn Off' in NYE Firework Incident
Another man died in Germany
- A man in eastern France was killed when a New Year's Eve firework exploded after he went back to inspect it, reports the AP . The 25-year-old died instantly in the incident in Boofzheim, close to France's eastern border with Germany, the regional government said Friday. AFP reports his...
NYPD: Don't Try to Come
to Times Square This NYE
Dec 31, 2020 9:50 AM CST
NYPD: Don't Try to Come to Times Square This NYE
Only a few dozen spectators will be allowed at ball drop
- After fears earlier this year that this would be the first New Year's Eve without a Times Square ball drop since 1943, the New York City tradition is going ahead —but police are urging the public to stay away. The only onlookers permitted will be a few dozen...
Pope Has 'Painful' Reason
for Skipping New Year's Events
Dec 31, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Pope Has 'Painful' Reason for Skipping New Year's Events
Francis' back pain due to sciatica will cause him to miss ceremonies
- Pope Francis is skipping ceremonies on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day due to what the Vatican says is a painful back condition, a spokesman said Thursday. Matteo Bruni said Francis is suffering from "painful sciatica" and won't preside at a year-end prayer service Thursday...
Trump Makes Abrupt
Change to NYE Plans
Dec 31, 2020 6:08 AM CST
Trump Makes Abrupt Change to NYE Plans
No official explanation has been given why president, first lady are heading back to DC
- Usually on the morning of Dec. 31, President Trump and first lady Melania Trump are prepping for their annual New Year's Eve bash at Mar-a-Lago. This year, however, there's been a change of plans. Per Fox News , the White House on Wednesday evening suddenly released a schedule showing...
France to Deploy 100K Cops
to Enforce NYE Curfew
Dec 30, 2020 2:08 PM CST
France to Deploy 100K Cops to Enforce NYE Curfew
They'll also try to prevent the 'traditional torching of vehicles'
- French people gathering in public to wish each other "Bonne Année" can expect a visit from the gendarmerie. Authorities say 100,000 police will be deployed across France on New Year's Eve to prevent gatherings and strictly enforce the 8pm to 6am curfew, the
Eatery Sorry for 'Discreet'
Dinner Invite Amid Dining Ban
Dec 30, 2020 10:25 AM CST
Eatery Sorry for 'Discreet' Dinner Invite Amid Dining Ban
La Scala in Beverly Hills says it never intended to violate rules
- A celebrity hangout in Beverly Hills is apologizing after inviting customers to an "inside" dinner party on New Year's Eve. The invitation from Italian restaurant La Scala, dropped into customers' takeout bags, teased a "discreet" speak-easy-themed soiree. "We are considering taking reservations for New Year's...
Gloria Gaynor to Close Out
2020 With 'I Will Survive'
Dec 15, 2020 8:03 PM CST
Gloria Gaynor to Close Out 2020 With 'I Will Survive'
Singer will appear at Times Square event honoring essential workers
- The New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square will be a celebration of perseverance, honoring essential workers and featuring Gloria Gaynor singing her anthem, "I Will Survive," organizers said Tuesday. They had announced previously that the annual event will be virtual this year , with no public audience...
For First Time in a Century, No
NYE Crowd in Times Square
Sep 24, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
For First Time in a Century, No NYE Crowd in Times Square
Ball drop, other festivities in New York City are going virtual
- For the first time in more than 100 years, New York City's Times Square will be virtually empty on New Year's Eve—and going virtual. Via a statement to Fox News , organizers of the holiday event say that, with the exception of "an extremely limited group of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
The World Has a New Island
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.