Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Radcliffe on Rowling: 'I Needed
to Say Something When I Did'
Nov 2, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Radcliffe on Rowling: 'I Needed to Say Something When I Did'
'Harry Potter' actor comments on 'hurt' fans after author's remarks; Tom Felton weighs in, too
- In June 2020,
author JK Rowling posted a series of transphobic comments on Twitter—remarks she's only doubled down on since, per
. Her remarks led Daniel Radcliffe, the actor who played Harry Potter himself in the hit movie franchise, to publish an open letter on gender...
'You Are Next:'
Aug 15, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
'You Are Next:' Cops Investigate Threat to JK Rowling
Author receives death threat after expressing support for Salman Rushdie online
author JK Rowling expressed support online for Salman Rushdie after he was stabbed —and received a death threat for her trouble. Now police in Scotland are investigating, reports the Hollywood Reporter . On Friday, Rowling tweeted , "Feeling very sick right now. Let him be ok" upon hearing...
Jul 20, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Quidditch Gets Its New Name
JK Rowling's trans controversy makes its way to the sport
Quidditch is now quadball, or soon will be. After announcing last year that the sport, a real-life version of the magical game JK Rowling dreamed up for the Harry Potter book series, would change its name in part to distance itself from the allegedly transphobic author, the sport's...
Jun 4, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Got $250K? A Rare
Christie's is selling first edition of 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' in London
- A rare first edition of the very first book in JK Rowling's
series is about to go on the auction block. Reuters reports that Christie's of London will be holding a private sale this month for the copy of
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Putin Drags JK Rowling
Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Mar 25, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
Putin Drags JK Rowling Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Leader says both Russia, 'Harry Potter' author have been 'canceled'—Rowling for her trans views
- It's not terribly surprising that Vladimir Putin might try to control the narrative on his country's invasion of Ukraine by painting Russia as some kind of victim. And he did just that during a Friday address on state TV, touching on the concept of "cancel culture" and...
Posted JK Rowling's
Address Did Not
Commit a Crime
Jan 18, 2022 1:37 AM CST
Activists Who Posted JK Rowling's Address Did Not Commit a Crime
The 'Harry Potter' author had accused them of doxxing her over her views on trans people
The activists who posted a photo showing JK Rowling's home, including its address, will not be punished. The
author complained to police about the act, which she called doxxing, but Scotland authorities have now confirmed the move was not criminal and no action will be taken,...
Dead at 52
Apr 16, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Peaky Blinders, Harry Potter
Actress Dead at 52
Helen McCrory was married to actor Damian Lewis
- Helen McCrory, a British actress who appeared in three
TV series, and more than 25 plays, has died. Her husband, actor Damian Lewis, made the announcement Friday on Twitter . "I'm heartbroken to announce that after an heroic battle with cancer, the beautiful...
John Cleese: 'I'm Not That
Interested in Trans Folks'
Nov 23, 2020 2:52 PM CST
John Cleese: 'I'm Not That Interested in Trans Folks'
Critics accuse Monty Python star of transphobia
- John Cleese is being accused of transphobia after doubling down on his support for JK Rowling. The British actor, who played Nearly Headless Nick in the first two Harry Potter movies, tweeted "I'm not that interested in trans folks," Sunday when asked about Rowling's controversial stance...
After a Kennedy
Slam, JK Rowling
Gives Back Award
Aug 28, 2020 8:04 AM CDT
After a Kennedy Slam, JK Rowling Gives Back Award
'Harry Potter' author blasts RFK daughter Kerry Kennedy for implying she's transphobic
- JK Rowling's take on transgender issues has earned her a fair share of controversy . Now, it's prompted her to return a prestigious honor. Per the BBC , the
author received the Ripple of Hope Award last year from the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights group. It's...
New Battle Over
Jul 11, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
New Battle Over 'Cancel Culture' Is Getting Vicious
Dozens of writers, thinkers fire back at open letter in Harper's Magazine
- Over 160 academics and journalists issued an open letter Friday in an ongoing battle over so-called "cancel culture," the Wrap reports. The letter rebuked an earlier letter —published in
and signed by luminaries including Fareed Zakaria, JK Rowling, and Gloria Steinhem—that decried "the...
Fan Sites Are
Backing Away From JK Rowling
Jul 3, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Fan Sites Are Backing Away From JK Rowling
Leaky Cauldron, Mugglenet distance themselves over Rowling's trans views
- Two of the biggest
fan sites are backing far, far away from the
creator thanks to JK Rowling's views on trans people. The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet both announced Thursday they won't use the author's photo or link to her website, and they...
The JK Rowling Controversy
Now Involves Stephen King
Jun 30, 2020 3:19 AM CDT
The JK Rowling Controversy Now Involves Stephen King
'Harry Potter' author deletes her own tweet praising horror writer in a 'snit'
- No, JK Rowling has not backed down on her controversial stance on trans rights , and now she's involving Stephen King in headlines related to the brouhaha. As the AV Club explains, it started when a male British politician accused Rowling of using her own domestic abuse to justify discrimination...
as She Explains
Jun 11, 2020 6:48 AM CDT
Rowling Reveals Sexual Assault as She Explains Trans Comments
'Harry Potter' author delves into her own history with sexual assault, abuse
- JK Rowling published a nearly 4,000-word essay on her website Wednesday explaining her controversial stance on transgender people. In it, she discusses the domestic abuse she experienced in her first marriage and reveals a sexual assault she survived in her twenties, all to illustrate why it's so important...
Jun 9, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Daniel Radcliffe Responds to Rowling Uproar
'Transgender women are women,' says 'Potter' actor
star Daniel Radcliffe is speaking out against JK Rowling's recent comments on sex , which he hopes won't "taint" the series for fans. "Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice...
an Earful After
Jun 7, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Rowling Gets an Earful After Trans Tweet
GLAAD says author has endorsed distortion of facts about gender identity
- A headline that referred to "people who menstruate" didn't go over well with JK Rowling. But then, her response to it didn't go over well with many people,
reports. "I'm sure there used to be a word for those people," Rowling tweeted Saturday....
Idea for Kids
May 26, 2020 10:23 AM CDT
JK Rowling's Idea for Kids in Lockdown Starts Today
She'll be releasing 'The Ickabog,' a 'political fairy tale,' in 34 free installments ahead of print edition
- JK Rowling is set to release her first children's book unrelated to the
series—and this time it's free.
, a fairy tale "about truth and the abuse of power" in an imaginary land, written "in fits and starts" between the
JK Rowling to
'Tell Me the
May 22, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Fan Asks JK Rowling to 'Tell Me the Truth.' So She Did
Author reveals 'true birthplace' of her 'Harry Potter' books: a London apartment
- On Thursday, a
fan implored JK Rowling on Twitter to "tell me the truth"—and she did, with a reveal that may have surprised many readers. CNN notes that the initial tweet included a picture of the Elephant House, a coffeehouse in Edinburgh, Scotland, which has...
Here Are the NY Public Library's
10 Most Popular Books
Jan 14, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Here Are the NY Public Library's 10 Most Popular Books
'The Snowy Day' by Ezra Jack Keats has been checked out more than 485K times
- Millions of books have exited and reentered the New York Public Library for more than a century, and the institution has finally run the numbers on some of its most popular offerings. The
New York Times
reports that the library sifted through the history of its inventory for six months...
JK Rowling's Trans Tweet
Causes a Big Uproar
Dec 19, 2019 2:24 PM CST
JK Rowling's Trans Tweet Causes a Big Uproar
'Harry Potter' author stands with fired researcher
- JK Rowling has been accused many times of being anti-trans, but this time, those accusations are making headlines in the mainstream media. The
author, who's been called a TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminist) in the past, tweeted on Thursday that she supports Maya Forstater, a researcher who lost...
Huge Move for
Sep 12, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Rowling Makes Huge Move for MS Research
The 'Harry Potter' author's mother had the disease and died at 45
- JK Rowling's mother had multiple sclerosis and died from complications of the disease at age 45. Now, the
scribe is making a big move to fight the disease: She's donating $18.8 million for new facilities at a research center named after her mom, the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Recent Storms Leave Mystery Debris Protruding from Beach
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.