Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Stories 1 - 20 |
Best (and Wildest) Looks
From 2023 Met Gala
May 2, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Best (and Wildest) Looks From 2023 Met Gala
Including a couple of stars who showed up as cats
- Jared Leto showed up in a giant cat suit, Doja Cat showed up with facial prosthetics that turned her into Karl Lagerfeld's cat Choupette, David Byrne showed up with his bike, Rihanna showed up encased in white flowers, and Lil Nas X showed up covered in silver body paint...
Restored Ancient Cup Is
Amazing, but a Little Fishy
Apr 30, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
Restored Ancient Cup Is Amazing, but a Little Fishy
Investigators seized it from the Met, are skeptical about its miraculous trail of shards
- In one sense, the story told about an ancient Greek drinking cup known as a kylix in the
New York Times
is one of an amazing feat of historical puzzle-solving. In 1978, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City bought shards of pottery from a Swiss dealer, a...
Investigators Remove Artifacts
From Met With Search Warrants
Sep 3, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Investigators Remove Artifacts From Met With Search Warrants
Repatriations to Italy and Egypt are planned for next week
- More artifacts are on their way back to other countries after investigators bearing search warrants took them from the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Manhattan District Attorney's Office announced that 27 ancient objects, valued at more than $13 million, were seized after a determination that they had...
Loses 16 Pounds,
Dyes Hair for Met Gala
May 3, 2022 7:07 AM CDT
Kim Kardashian Loses 16 Pounds, Dyes Hair for Met Gala
She turned herself into Marilyn Monroe, including the actual 'Happy Birthday' dress
- Kim Kardashian underwent a major transformation for Monday night's Met Gala look—she lost 16 pounds in three weeks in order to fit into an iconic dress once worn by Marilyn Monroe, and then, on the day before the Metropolitan Museum of Art's annual Costume Institute benefit gala,...
Another Jacob Lawrence
Mar 2, 2021 3:15 AM CST
Another Jacob Lawrence Painting Found
3 panels from 'Struggle' remain missing
- "Listen, nobody calls me back. I have this painting. Who do I need to talk to?" Those were the words spoken by a New York City nurse who recently discovered she was in possession of one of the long-missing panels from Jacob Lawrence's 30-panel series "Struggle: From...
Museum Visitor Realizes
Where Long-Lost Painting Is
in case you missed it
Oct 25, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Museum Visitor Realizes Where Long-Lost Painting Is
Jacob Lawrence panel been hanging in her neighbor's living room for 60 years
- Jacob Lawrence's renowned 1950s series of paintings " Struggle: From the History of the American People " arrived at New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art in August missing five of its 30 panels. It will leave next month missing only four. A visitor to the museum realized...
Crazy Outfits Abound
at 'Camp' Met Gala
May 7, 2019 6:04 AM CDT
Crazy Outfits Abound at 'Camp' Met Gala
Katy Perry turned up dressed as a chandelier
- The theme was "camp" at this year's Met Gala and co-chair Lady Gaga once again had one of the most eye-catching outfits at one of the fashion world's biggest events of the year. Make that four outfits—the singer started out in a billowing pink outfit, then...
Met Forced to Defend Painting
of Girl in Provocative Pose
Dec 4, 2017 8:04 AM CST
Met Forced to Defend Painting of Girl in Provocative Pose
Petition asks that 'Thérèse Dreaming' by Balthus be taken down
- As one New York City institution wrestles with high-profile molestation accusations , another finds itself the target of outcry over the "sexualization" of a young girl—in a painting. The Metropolitan Museum of Art says it will not take down the 1938 painting "Thérèse Dreaming" by the...
Somebody Stole $105K Photos
at MoMa, Mailed Them Back
Nov 14, 2017 6:11 AM CST
Somebody Stole $105K Photos at MoMa, Mailed Them Back
NYPD releases surveillance video of woman mailing photos back to museum annex in NYC
- The Museum of Modern Art has an odd mystery on its hands. First, somebody stole two photos of performance artist Carolee Schneemann worth $105,000 from a museum annex in Queens. Then somebody mailed them back, good as new. Now the NYPD has released surveillance video of the young woman...
Why Met Museum's Vase Is
Sitting in an Evidence Room
Aug 1, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Why Met Museum's Vase Is Sitting in an Evidence Room
The Met bought it at Sotheby's, but it may have been looted from a grave
- For 2,300 years, the painted vase has shown a scene involving the god Dionysus. For just under 30 of those years, it's been in the possession of the Metropolitan Museum of Art—and for the last week or so, it's been stored in the evidence room of...
Met's Director Out
Amid Financial Woes
Mar 1, 2017 7:21 AM CST
Met's Director Out Amid Financial Woes
Board members demanded he leave his post: 'NYT'
- Thomas Campbell, the director and CEO of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, resigned after eight years Tuesday "to pursue the next phase of my career," according to a statement. In reality, he appears to have been "forced out," reports the
New York Times
. With the museum...
Met Museum Sued for
'Tainted' $100M Picasso
Oct 1, 2016 7:58 AM CDT
Met Museum Sued for 'Tainted' $100M Picasso
It was sold by Jewish couple fleeing Nazis
- A woman who says her relatives had no choice but to sell a Picasso when fleeing the Nazis in 1938 wants New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art to hand over the painting—or pay more than $100 million in damages. Laurel Zuckerman is the great-grandniece of German Jewish businessman...
Looks at the
May 6, 2014 2:00 AM CDT
9 Buzziest Looks at the Met Gala
Including a rare fashion misstep from Lupita Nyong'o
- Last night's annual Costume Institute gala at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art featured, as it usually does, quite a few dramatic dress choices. The theme this year honored
editor Anna Wintour and Charles James, a British-born designer "who revolutionized American fashion in the mid-20th century,...
Met Gala 'So Un-Fun'
May 9, 2013 8:47 AM CDT
Gwyneth Deems Met Gala 'So Un-Fun'
Apparently Costume Institute event did not live up to Paltrow's expectations
- Apparently not even her bright pink gown could cheer up Gwyneth Paltrow at the Met costume gala . According to
, the World's Most Beautiful Woman panned the swanky party as "so un-fun." In a quote that is attributed to her but thin in terms of details...
Met Gala Look:
May 7, 2013 10:03 AM CDT
Madonna's Met Gala Look: No Pants
Plus: Tiger and Lindsey make romantic debut
- Last night was the Metropolitan Museum of Art's annual Costume Institute gala, and you know what that means: Madonna showed up wearing no pants, Anne Hathaway showed up with bleached blonde hair, Kristen Stewart showed up with sad raccoon eyes and a matador pantsuit, and Kim Kardashian showed up...
NYC's Metropolitan Accused of Duping Museumgoers
Mar 25, 2013 11:52 AM CDT
NYC's Metropolitan Accused of Duping Museumgoers
Suit alleges Met is scheming to defraud public via admission fee
- Before visitors to the Metropolitan Museum of Art can stroll past the Picassos, they must first deal with the ticket line and the posted $25 adult admission. That amount is merely the suggested donation—the word "recommended" is posted in smaller type just beneath it—but people, especially foreign...
Jul 12, 2012 1:00 AM CDT
Financier Leon Black paid $120M for Munch masterwork
- The mystery buyer who paid a record-breaking $120 million for Edvard Munch's
is New York City financier Leon Black, according to the
Wall Street Journal
, which says "several people close to the collector" have confirmed the buy. The billionaire chief of investment firm Apollo Global Management...
of Met Gala:
Tom Brady's Hair
May 8, 2012 11:03 AM CDT
Weirdest Part of Met Gala: Tom Brady's Hair
And other fashion travesties...
- TMZ has a theory on the ridiculous hairstyle Tom Brady was sporting last night at the Met Costume Institute Gala: It must have been Gisele Bundchen's idea. Or perhaps what
describes as "a freshly slicked semi faux hawk that slanted to the right" is just the...
Kid, 13, Catches
Error at the Met
May 3, 2012 4:14 PM CDT
Kid, 13, Catches Error at the Met
Museum working to fix Byzantine map
- There was a mistake in a map at the Metropolitan Museum of Art—but nobody noticed until 13-year-old Benjamin Lerman Coady visited with his mom. The Connecticut seventh-grader and history buff was checking out a permanent exhibit on the Byzantine Empire when he spotted the problem: A map that purported...
Met Hop Aboard
Google Art Project
Apr 4, 2012 6:25 AM CDT
White House, Met Hop Aboard Google Art Project
Online gallery now has works from 151 museums in 40 countries
- The White House's art collection, all 139 pieces, is being added to the Google Art Project, as part of a major expansion of Google's online art initiative, reports CBS News . Other collections being added include the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the National Gallery in London,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.