Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FDA Wants Cigarettes of the
Future to Look Very Different
Jun 22, 2022 8:09 AM CDT
FDA Wants Cigarettes of the Future to Look Very Different
It proposes cutting the nicotine they contain by 95%
- The FDA has a vision for the cigarettes of the future: They'll contain so little nicotine they'll be non-addictive, or close to it. The
Wall Street Journal
reports the Biden administration on Tuesday unveiled a plan that would put that ball in motion by mandating that nicotine levels...
2 American Habits
Go in Opposite Directions
Mar 18, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
2 American Habits Go in Opposite Directions
We're smoking less but eating more sweets
- The pandemic seems to have had a real impact on two American habits: Americans are smoking less, but they're eating more sweets. The details:
US consumers spent way more than usual on sweets (gum, chocolate, etc.) in 2021, reports Axios . The National Confectioners Association puts the figure
Young People in NZ Will Never
Reach Legal Smoking Age
Dec 9, 2021 8:20 AM CST
Young People in NZ Will Never Reach Legal Smoking Age
New law will ban future generations from buying cigarettes
- People who are 12 years old or younger in New Zealand today will never reach an age where they will be legally allowed to smoke cigarettes, the government says. A new law expected to be introduced next year will ban smoking for future generations, with the legal smoking age increasing...
The Pandemic Reversed a
20-Year Cigarette Sales Trend
Oct 27, 2021 2:12 PM CDT
The Pandemic Reversed a 20-Year Cigarette Sales Trend
There was a slight uptick last year
- The pandemic wasn't good for America's lungs in more ways than one. CNN reports that cigarette sales ticked up for the first time in two decades, per the FTC's annual Cigarette Report . The increase was a nominal one—just 0.4%—but it marks a reversal in...
Tobacco Firm CEO Says He
Wants a Smoke-Free World
Jul 26, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
Tobacco Firm CEO Says He Wants a Smoke-Free World
Philip Morris chief says company aims to stop selling cigarettes in UK by 2030
- Philip Morris International chief executive Jacek Olczak spoke out against his company's best-known product Sunday, telling British newspapers that he fully supports a government plan to eliminate smoking by 2030. He said the government should ban smoking and the company would like to "see the world without cigarettes...
NYC Might Elect First
Smoker as Mayor Since '65
Jun 18, 2021 3:26 AM CDT
NYC Might Elect First Smoker as Mayor Since '65
Kathryn Garcia says she plans to quit
- New Yorkers will choose their candidates for mayor in primaries next week—and the
New York Post
has zeroed in on something unusual about Kathryn Garcia, one of the Democratic front-runners. Garcia, the city's former sanitation commissioner, smokes up to a pack of Marlboro Golds a day. If she...
Born After 2004? New Zealand
May Never Let You Smoke
Apr 16, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Born After 2004? New Zealand May Never Let You Smoke
Nation considering various proposals as it aims to be smoke-free by 2025
- New Zealand has proposed several plans as part of a goal to be smoke-free by 2025, including a permanent ban on sales of any tobacco products to anyone born after 2004, reports the
. Cigarettes are already heavily taxed in the country. But "we need a new approach,"...
The Greediest, Angriest, Most
Jealous States in America
Feb 15, 2021 10:15 AM CST
The Greediest, Angriest, Most Jealous States in America
WalletHub takes note of our sins and ranks us
- The first day of Lent is Wednesday, and for Christians who follow the observance, it's often a time to give up a bad habit for the six weeks that follow. That may be harder for people in some parts of the country, per WalletHub , which has ranked US states...
in Play During
Jan 29, 2021 10:38 AM CST
Cigarettes Back in Play During Pandemic
After decades of decline, sales of smokes were flat in 2020, as people started lighting up more
- The American Lung Association recently warned that smoking is a risk factor for the most severe symptoms of COVID-19. But in a case of unfortunate irony, it appears many people during the pandemic are backsliding into their old puffing habits, or maybe even starting new ones. While cigarette sales had...
State Gives Vaccine
Priority to Smokers
Jan 15, 2021 10:47 AM CST
State Gives Vaccine Priority to Smokers
New Jersey teachers 'incensed' at the decision
- Teachers in New Jersey are furious over the state's vaccination rollout, which gives priority to smokers over educators. Now that some 300,000 coronavirus vaccine doses have been administered to frontline health care workers, residents of long-term care homes, police officers, and firefighters, New Jersey has begun offering vaccines...
Cannabis Exempted From
SF Indoor Smoking Ban
Dec 3, 2020 11:31 AM CST
Cannabis Exempted From SF Indoor Smoking Ban
Ordinance bans apartment dwellers from smoking tobacco at home
- Smokers who live in San Francisco apartment buildings are going to be restricted to smoking inside or smoking outside, depending on what they're smoking. The city's Board of Supervisors voted 10-1 this week in favor of an ordinance to ban tobacco smoking in apartment buildings with three or...
Smoking in Public Just Got
Banned Here to Curb COVID
Nov 12, 2020 12:45 PM CST
Smoking in Public Just Got Banned Here to Curb COVID
Turkey says too many people are lighting up and lowering their masks
- With more than 400,000 COVID-19 cases and upward of 11,000 deaths already logged in Turkey, the country isn't messing around when it comes to its latest numbers surge. Per Bloomberg , nearly 2,700 new cases were IDed on Wednesday—the highest daily count since the end of...
North Korea Makes Move to
Preserve 'Hygienic Living'
Nov 5, 2020 12:03 AM CST
North Korea Makes Move to Preserve 'Hygienic Living'
It involves smoking
- Despite the fact that its own leader is known as a chain smoker, North Korea has banned smoking in some public places, the
reports. Yonhap News reports the law was unanimously passed Wednesday at a "rare" meeting of the Supreme People's Assembly. Specifically, smoking will be prohibited...
It's Not a Good
Time to Smoke
Apr 9, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
It's Not a Good Time to Smoke Anything: Experts
Lungs need clean air during a pandemic
- Anytime is a good time to stop smoking or vaping, but health experts say this moment would be especially beneficial. "Quitting during this pandemic could not only save your life, but by preventing the need for your treatment in a hospital, you might also save someone else’s life,...
Reason to Quit
Jan 30, 2020 10:05 AM CST
Study Suggests Surprising Reason to Quit Smoking
Researchers say the lungs of ex-smokers can repair some of the damage
- A new study presents this not-so-surprising fact: Nine out of every 10 cells in the lungs of smokers show some degree of mutation, reports the AFP . But then came the surprise: The lungs of former smokers seem to be able to repair some of the damage, according to the study...
On Cancer Death Rate
in the US, a Historic Dip
Jan 8, 2020 8:11 AM CST
On Cancer Death Rate in the US, a Historic Dip
2.2% drop in 2017 is biggest single-year decline in mortality rate, helped along by lung cancer gains
- Since 1930, the American Cancer Society has been tracking the cancer death rate in the US—the number of deaths per 100,000 people—and its latest report shows the biggest single-year drop ever: 2.2% in 2017, reports the
. That record one-year decline is tacked onto a...
U-Haul to Stop Hiring Smokers
Jan 2, 2020 3:29 PM CST
U-Haul to Stop Hiring Smokers
Company will stop interviewing, hiring anyone who uses nicotine
- U-Haul International has announced plans to stop interviewing and hiring nicotine users, including people who use e-cigarettes and vaping products, the AP reports. The well-known truck and trailer rental company approved the nicotine-free policy set to go into effect Feb. 1 in more than 20 states where the company operates,...
It Was the Site of a Tragedy.
And Now, a Murder-Suicide
Dec 5, 2019 7:55 AM CST
It Was the Site of a Tragedy. And Now, a Murder-Suicide
3 dead in Connecticut after dispute over smoking
- Danielle Jette lost her husband when he fatally shot himself inside her Connecticut home three years ago. On Tuesday, she lost her boyfriend and two children in much the same way. Officers responding to a 911 call found 16-year-old Sterling Jette Jr. inside the Watertown home and 15-year-old Della Jette...
This Is How Quickly
Vaping Alters the Body
Aug 20, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
This Is How Quickly Vaping Alters the Body
And that's without the nicotine or flavorings
- A new study is casting yet another shadow over e-cigarettes. Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania say participants who inhaled only vape juice—no nicotine, no flavorings—suffered temporary changes to their cardiovascular system,
reports. The study found that brain, heart, and leg arteries in the 31 participants constricted...
FDA Unveils Graphic
Cigarette Warning Labels
Aug 16, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
FDA Unveils Graphic Cigarette Warning Labels
Tobacco companies blocked them once and are expected to try again
- If the Food and Drug Administration gets its way, cigarette labels in the US are about to get pretty graphic. The agency has unveiled 13 proposed warning labels that would be prominently featured on cigarette packs and in cigarette advertising if approved, reports CNBC . The labels go beyond warning of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.