Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Health Waning for
Some of Boys in Cave
Jul 5, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Report Suggests Health Waning for Some of Boys in Cave
CNN references a new medical assessment
- Reports on the 12 boys trapped in a cave in Thailand along with their soccer coach have generally quoted officials as describing the group as in good health . CNN is changing that narrative somewhat, referencing a new doctor's report that described the coach and two boys as experiencing exhaustion...
Rescuers Hope Boys Can
Walk Out of Flooded Cave
Jul 5, 2018 6:10 AM CDT
Rescuers Hope Boys Can Walk Out of Flooded Cave
They're 'racing against water,' governor says
- The weekend weather forecast has provided an ominous deadline for rescuers scrambling to get 12 young soccer players and their coach out of a flooded cave in northern Thailand. The area has been dry for days but heavy rains are expected to hit soon, potentially driving water levels up, thwarting...
Trapped Boys Are
Getting Diving Lessons
Jul 4, 2018 6:23 AM CDT
Trapped Boys Are Getting Diving Lessons
Time to escape cave may be running out
- If 12 boys and their coach are going to get out of a flooded cave in northern Thailand before monsoon rains make their situation worse, it is going to have to happen soon, authorities say. The government says the boys are receiving crash courses in swimming and diving from rescue...
Rescuing Boys From
Cave Could Take Months
Jul 3, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Rescuing Boys From Cave Could Take Months
They may have to learn to dive to escape flooded cave system
- The discovery of 12 Thai boys and their coach still alive after 10 days trapped in a flooded cave has brought massive relief to their families and an anxious nation—but the military warns that their ordeal could be only just beginning. The group, discovered by two British divers late...
Care Packages Dropped Into
Thai Cave in Desperate Move
Jun 30, 2018 6:44 AM CDT
Care Packages Dropped Into Thai Cave in Desperate Move
A break in the rain has eased flooding
- The effort to locate 12 boys and their soccer coach missing in a cave in Thailand for a week has picked up pace, with a break in the rain easing flooding in the system of caverns and more experts from around the world joining the mission. The search effort in...
Hole Punched in Mountain in
Desperate Race to Save Boys
Jun 28, 2018 6:35 PM CDT
Hole Punched in Mountain in Desperate Race to Save Boys
More than 600 people are combing the side of a mountain, looking for a way in
- Rescuers punched a hole into the side of a mountain on Thursday in a desperate attempt to drain rising water from a flooded cave in northern Thailand where 12 boys and their soccer coach have been missing for five days, reports the AP . But the effort appeared unsuccessful and the...
Amid Frantic Search for
Thai Soccer Team, More Rain
Jun 27, 2018 9:50 AM CDT
Amid Frantic Search for Thai Soccer Team, More Rain
'We still have hope. All agencies are trying their best.'
- Heavy rainfall stymied efforts to rescue a youth soccer team trapped in a cave in northern Thailand by flooding underground passages faster than water can be pumped out. Muddy water rising to the ceiling of one of the chambers has prevented Thai navy SEAL divers from progressing farther into the...
Bring Hope for
Team Lost in Cave
Jun 26, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Fresh Footprints Bring Hope for Team Lost in Cave
'The kids are athletes, and they have skills'
- The search for a youth soccer team lost for three days in a cave in Thailand resumed Tuesday with a message of hope. "We are still optimistic they are all alive," Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said, adding, "even though they may not have anything to eat,...
Youth Soccer Team
Missing in Flooded Cave
Jun 25, 2018 4:21 AM CDT
Youth Soccer Team Missing in Flooded Cave
Authorities have been searching for 2 days in Thailand for 13 missing people
- The images on Thailand TV are ominous: Bikes, sneakers, and backpacks left outside a well-known—and dangerous—cave. They belong to 12 boys on a youth soccer team and their coach, who have all been missing since entering the cave system on Saturday afternoon, reports the AP . The boys, ages...
Gods Didn't Kill Animals
in 'Gate to Hell'—Gas Did
Feb 23, 2018 12:50 PM CST
Gods Didn't Kill Animals in 'Gate to Hell'—Gas Did
Carbon dioxide is the key, researchers say of legendary Turkish cave
- Centuries ago, bulls, rams, and other animals led into an ancient cave for religious ceremonies died of seemingly mystical causes, while the priests accompanying them suffered no such fate. Scientists say they've now figured out the secret behind this "Gate to Hell" in the ancient city of Hierapolis,...
In Collapsed Cave, Remarkably
Old Human Fossil Discovered
Jan 25, 2018 2:55 PM CST
In Collapsed Cave, Remarkably Old Human Fossil Discovered
2002 find suggests modern humans may have left Africa 100K years earlier than thought
- A fossil found in Israel indicates modern humans may have left Africa as much as 100,000 years earlier than previously thought. Scientists say that an ancient upper jawbone and associated stone tools could also mean that Homo sapiens—modern humans—arose in Africa far earlier than fossils now show....
Cave System Is So, So Long
Jan 17, 2018 6:59 PM CST
Record-Setting Underwater Cave System Is So, So Long
It took years, but divers finally connect Mexico's Sac Actun, Dos Ojos systems
- For Robert Schmittner, it was a long time coming. "I didn't rest for 14 years," the diver tells
Mexico News Daily
. Schmittner is the director of exploration for the Great Maya Aquifer Project, which on Jan. 10 discovered the longest underwater cave on Earth. Divers for the...
'Incredible' Ice Age
Cave Network Found
Dec 5, 2017 10:37 AM CST
'Incredible' Ice Age Cave Network Found Below Montreal
It stretches the length of 2 football fields
- At the end of the last ice age, glaciers rapidly receded across Canada, putting so much pressure on the land below that solid rock split apart. Perhaps nowhere is that more evident than a newly discovered cave system some 20 feet below Montreal, Quebec. Suspecting that a cave beneath a...
College Spelunking Trip
Ends in 60-Hour Mishap
Sep 22, 2017 12:46 PM CDT
College Spelunking Trip Ends in 60-Hour Mishap
Not a 'no man left behind' situation
- An Indiana University freshman is counting his lucky stars that what the
reports was his third-ever cave descent wasn't his last. Indiana University freshman Lukas Cavar, 19, was on a beginner's spelunking trip to Sullivan Cave on Sunday when he ended up getting left behind by the...
Cave Clues Point
to Parched Mideast
for 10K Years
Jul 17, 2017 8:27 AM CDT
Cave Clues Point to Parched Mideast for 10K Years
Iranian stalagmites indicate rain isn't coming anytime soon
- For anyone holding hope that the dry conditions in the Middle East are but a temporary drought, two cave stalagmites taken from Iran tell a long history of the region's precipitation and give a grim prognosis: not much rain for the next 10,000 years. Thanks to their chemical...
Woman Unwittingly Wears
Engagement Ring for a Year
May 12, 2017 6:40 AM CDT
Woman Unwittingly Wears Engagement Ring for a Year
'It was literally under her nose'
- An Australian man may have outdone pretty much everyone when it comes to perfecting the marriage proposal. Using only first names, the man named Terry tells HuffPost the story of how he gave his girlfriend Anna a necklace on their one-year dating anniversary. Using Huon pine, a wood native to...
Dead Sea Scrolls
Got There First
Feb 9, 2017 3:20 AM CST
Dead Sea Scrolls Cave Discovered, but Someone Got There First
Looters got there 70 years before researchers
- Israeli researchers have discovered what they believe is the first new Dead Sea Scrolls cave uncovered in more than 60 years—but looters got there long before them. The site at the Qumran cliffs, an Israeli-controlled site in the West Bank, has yielded artifacts including pieces of pottery, broken scroll...
of Cave Diving'
Claims More Lives
Oct 18, 2016 12:21 PM CDT
'Mount Everest of Cave Diving' Claims More Lives
2 divers found dead in Eagle's Nest caves on Monday
- A sign posted at the entrance to a dangerous underwater cave system in Florida reads, "Stop: Prevent Your Death!" next to an image of the grim reaper, reports NDTV . It didn't stop Patrick Peacock, 53, and Chris Rittenmeyer, 38, whose bodies were recovered from the Eagle's...
What It's Like to Spend
40 Years Living in a Cave
Aug 1, 2016 8:27 AM CDT
What It's Like to Spend 40 Years Living in a Cave
Pedro Luca has made do without running water, electricity
- Pedro Luca has become a legend in San Pedro de Colalao, where he's lived in a cave for 40 years. The 79-year-old Argentine survives without running water or electricity in his cavern high in a mountain in northern Tucuman province. When he gets hungry he picks up his rifle...
Deep in a Cave,
May 26, 2016 8:35 AM CDT
Deep in a Cave, Neanderthals Did Something Remarkable
Two stone rings up to 16 inches high that were intentionally made
- For tens of thousands of years, the secrets of France's Bruniquel Cave went unknown, its mouth closed off by a rock slide. That began to change in the late '80s, the
reports, when a boy named Bruno Kowalsczewski started clearing away what obstructed the opening; three years...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
Eagles Player Indicted 11 Days Before Super Bowl
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.