Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jane Fonda Shares
Huge News With Fans
Dec 16, 2022 12:39 AM CST
Jane Fonda Shares Huge News With Fans
Actress and activist says her cancer is in remission
- Jane Fonda received an amazing gift for the holidays and her upcoming 85th birthday: Her cancer is in remission. "I am feeling so blessed, so fortunate. I thank all of you who prayed and sent good thoughts my way. I am confident that it played a role in the...
Some Cancer Patients Can
Skip Chemo, Radiation
Jun 7, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Some Cancer Patients Can Skip Chemo, Radiation
Studies point way to less treatment for some sufferers of colon and breast cancer
- After surgery, some cancer patients can safely skip radiation or chemotherapy, according to two studies exploring shorter, gentler cancer care. Researchers are looking for ways to precisely predict which cancer patients can avoid unneeded treatment to cut down on harmful side effects and unnecessary costs, per the AP . One new...
Teen Forced to
Dies at 22
May 15, 2020 2:02 AM CDT
Teen Forced to Undergo Chemo Dies at 22
Cassandra Callender fought cancer for 5 years
- Cassandra Callender, who was forced by Connecticut courts as a teenager to undergo chemotherapy for cancer, has died after a five-year battle with the disease, her mother said Thursday. She was 22, the AP reports. Callender, of Windsor Locks, died Tuesday at home, where she had been in hospice care...
Neighbors Have Sweet Surprise
for Young Cancer Survivor
Mar 27, 2020 10:52 AM CDT
Neighbors Have Sweet Surprise for Young Cancer Survivor
It's a pandemic-friendly welcome
- Courtney "Coco" Johnson didn't think there would be much of a celebration when she finished chemotherapy this week amid the coronavirus pandemic. The 15-year-old was very, very wrong. Coco, whose eighth-grade graduation last June came on the same day as her diagnosis with a Ewing sarcoma in her...
On His Way to
Chemo, Guy Made
a Very Lucky Stop
Oct 28, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
On His Way to Chemo, Guy Made a Very Lucky Stop
NC man wins $200K from scratch-off lottery ticket right before last round of cancer treatment
- It was already set to be a good day for Ronnie Foster, but a last-minute pit stop was the icing on the cake. The North Carolina man, a retired Department of Transportation worker from Pink Hill who has colon cancer, was headed to his very last chemotherapy treatment on Tuesday...
Sep 17, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
New Cancer Update From Alex Trebek
'Jeopardy' host says his 'numbers' spiked, he's back on chemo
- Nearly four months ago, Alex Trebek delivered the "mind-boggling" news to fans that his pancreatic cancer was "near remission." The
host was doing so well that his doctors even halted his chemo treatment, opting to use immunotherapy instead. Now, however, a bit of a setback: On...
Can't Go Home
With Parents Who
Sep 10, 2019 12:32 PM CDT
Judge: Boy Can't Go Home With Parents Who Halted His Chemo
Noah McAdams, now 4, must remain with his grandparents, judge rules
- The preschooler taken from his parents when they halted his chemotherapy is no closer to going home—the parents of Noah McAdams, now 4, were denied custody of their son in a ruling Monday in Florida, WFLA reports. Noah was 3 when he was removed from his parents' care and...
Jonas Brothers Surprise
Fan Who Missed Concert
Sep 2, 2019 1:42 AM CDT
Jonas Brothers Surprise Fan Who Missed Concert for Chemotherapy
Band visited teen in Pennsylvania hospital
- Pennsylvania teenager Lily Jordan had to miss the Jonas Brothers' concert in Hershey on Saturday night because she was in the hospital for chemotherapy treatment. So they came to her instead. The brothers paid the 16-year-old a surprise visit before the concert after fans tagged the band in her social...
3-Year-Old Taken From
Parents After They
Stop His Chemo
May 2, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
3-Year-Old Taken From Parents After They Stop His Chemo
Authorities say boy's life is in danger; family says chemo is too 'brutal'
- Joshua McAdams and Taylor Bland-Ball's 3-year-old son, Noah, has leukemia. But his parents don't want him to get chemotherapy, and they've lost custody of him as a result. "We want him to be treated with something that has less side effects," Bland-Ball tells WFLA . "...
Jul 2, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Scientists Unveil Man-Made Ovary
Artificial ovary implanted in mouse could help women who've gone through chemo
- News on the fertility front may offer hope in the future for women who have to undergo chemotherapy or radiation during cancer treatment. Per the
, scientists have created an artificial ovary out of human tissue and eggs, and that ovary's performance on tests is encouraging. Susanne Pors, a...
Many Breast Cancer
Patients Can Skip the Chemo
Jun 3, 2018 7:43 AM CDT
Many Breast Cancer Patients Can Skip the Chemo
Up to 70K Americans per year could be spared treatment, massive study finds
- Most women with the most common form of early-stage breast cancer can safely skip chemotherapy without hurting their chances of beating the disease, doctors are reporting in a landmark study that used genetic testing to gauge each patient's risk. The study is the largest ever done of breast cancer...
Giant Bell Will Ring Every
Time a Kid Finishes Chemo
Oct 12, 2017 1:48 PM CDT
Giant Bell Will Ring Every Time a Kid Finishes Chemo
It's linked to St. Louis Children's Hospital
- A giant bell on a billboard in St. Louis will ring every time a child completes chemotherapy at a local hospital, per the AP . The 12-foot-tall metal bell went up Wednesday on a billboard over Interstate 44 that reads "Childhood wins another round against cancer." Hospital staff will...
What Ronnie Wood Wouldn't
Have Done to Fight Cancer
Aug 7, 2017 10:39 AM CDT
What Ronnie Wood Wouldn't Have Done to Fight Cancer
There would've been no chemo if cancer had spread: 'This hair wasn't going anywhere'
- Three months ago, Ronnie Wood was diagnosed with lung cancer, right before he turned 70. In a recent interview with the
, Wood, the
hard-living, hard-partying guitarist in the Rolling Stones, says he refused chemotherapy as a treatment option because he wanted to keep his...
Cancer Patients' Gray Hair
Darkened While on New Drugs
Jul 22, 2017 11:16 AM CDT
Cancer Patients' Gray Hair Darkened While on New Drugs
14 patients in lung cancer study saw color return to their hair as side effect
- Cancer patients' gray hair unexpectedly turned youthfully dark while taking novel drugs, and it has doctors scratching their heads. The AP reports chemotherapy is notorious for making hair fall out, but the 14 patients involved were all being treated with new immunotherapy drugs that work differently and have different side...
Men Who Smoke Affect
Future Kids in Surprising Way
Feb 15, 2017 11:45 AM CST
Men Who Smoke Affect Future Kids in Surprising Way
Life-saving drugs may be less effective for them, study suggests
- When research began to trickle out 10 years ago suggesting that what we do today can affect the health of our unborn children, it was largely "considered heretical," medical biochemistry professor Dr. Oliver Rando tells the
. Not anymore. Habits like cigarette smoking have since been shown...
Studies: Cooling Caps Help
Chemo Patients Keep Hair
Feb 14, 2017 5:34 PM CST
Studies: Cooling Caps Help Chemo Patients Keep Hair
Up to two-thirds of breast cancer patients kept more than half their hair
- Cooling caps are massively popular with European chemo patients and have been making inroads into the US , but two studies published Tuesday in the
Journal of the American Medical Association
offer some of the first clinical proof of their effectiveness. In one study , approximately two-thirds of breast cancer patients lost...
Plus Stem Cell
Jun 10, 2016 3:44 PM CDT
Strong Chemo Plus Stem Cell Transplant May Halt MS
Study used extremely small sample size, but results are encouraging
- The sample size was quite small, but research on patients with multiple sclerosis shows promising results on stopping the progression of the incurable disease that causes the immune system to attack the coating around nerve fibers (and the fibers themselves) in the brain and spinal cord, the BBC reports. Per...
Mom Won't Treat
Brain Tumor Until
She Gives Birth
Mar 29, 2016 11:31 AM CDT
Mom Won't Treat Brain Tumor Until She Gives Birth
'The baby saved me. Now it's my turn to save him': New York woman
- For Kim Vaillancourt, pregnant while staving off aggressive rare brain cancer, it comes down to this: "The baby saved me. Now it's my turn to save him." Vaillancourt was diagnosed with glioblastoma—deadly and fast-growing tumors known to reappear within eight to 12 weeks—after going to...
in Breast Cancer
Mar 11, 2016 3:44 PM CST
Study Uncovers Potential 'Game-Changer' in Breast Cancer Treatment
The results are being called 'groundbreaking'
- A new breast cancer trial out of Britain has experts proclaiming its results "astonishing" and "groundbreaking" with "game-changing potential," the
reports. According to the
, the trial from Cancer Research UK gave women with aggressive breast cancer (known as "HER2 positive" breast cancer) a...
to Treat MS
Jan 20, 2016 4:02 PM CST
Using Chemo to Treat MS Shows 'Remarkable' Promise
It's part of treatment that essentially resets a person's immune system
- Chemotherapy is well-known as a cancer treatment, but it could also be a big part of the cure for many with multiple sclerosis, the
reports. Over the past few years, about 20 MS patients in the US, England, Brazil, and Sweden have been given a new treatment—known as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.